Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heatsink melted onto processor?

Alright.

I assembled a computer for my wife a few months ago, to use for general browsing and word processing. This is what I got. - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110061

I put a X24600 in it. Based on everything I read, i used the heatsink/fan that came with the barebones, instead of the stock heatsink/fan. Lately, I have noticed it to be very loud, but knew the Cool N Quiet doesn't work in Vista, because Vista has its own solution. Well, I installed Asus Probe, and it showed temps in the high 50's at idle. I disassembled the machine, and when it came time to pull the heatsink/fan off the chip, it wouldn't budge. I pulled a bit harder, and off came the heatsink/fan, with the processor firmly attached to it. Right out of the socket. I cannot budge the processor off the heatspreader.

Thoughts?

My original plan was to take it apart, apply some Arctic Silver, and try it like that. Well, how do I get them apart? Is anything broken? Is the temperature sensor broken? Time to call some manufacturers?

Help? :(

Thanks!

Re: heatsink melted onto processor?

Unless you bent pins, or broke the retainer clips, you should be able to put it back together and power it up. The problem with most stock HSF assemblies, is they come with heat conductive tape instead of heat conductive grease. You guessed it; the tape bakes after a while and glues the HSF to the processor. Since I'm lazy, check out this link for tips. In a nut shell, power it up, let it warm up, and then you should be able to remove the HSF from the processor. If it cools down, it becomes a lot harder. There is always a risk. I've had to replace a few CPU and GPU coolers (because the fans failed), and always down a few scotches before proceeding.

Good luck !

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You should have taken off the thermal pad and used thermal paste or AS5 instead.

In addition, you should have used the stock HSF not the barebones one. I know from past experience, some cheaper barebones machines that came with a HSF came with low-grade/quality thermal pads (some felt like hard plastic).

Warm it up and booting up your machine for a few minutes. Afterwards, let it sit for about a min or two so it isn't too hot to touch. Then take off the heatsink (should come off of your CPU with ease this time).

Edit:
      I see Dick beat me to the punch line. :)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Another trick is to twist the heatsink to loosen up the seal. Hopefully you didn't break anything but if you managed to rip the processor out of the socket it doesn't sound too good.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

your gonna laugh but heat it with a hair dryer on high.....works like a charm
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Yea the blow dryer trick works, just not all the time. You can try it if you want, but you might sit there blowing for a bit before that thermal pad is mallable.

You might need to replace the plastic socket your mobo (if that's even possible nowadays). You more than likely broke the retention (the silver handle that goes down to securely fasten your CPU to the board).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for all your help!

I rebooted it, ran it for a bit, and then immediately disassembled it, twisting and it came off with a little oomph.

I applied Arctic Silver 5, and it is now running at 49 degrees CPU, 43 degrees MB. This is in a small-form factor case, so is that acceptable? I went ahead and put the case's heatsink/fan back on, because it is built so as to blow the air out, and the retail heatsink/fan would have just blown it upwards.

Another question!

In the bios, Cool N Quiet is enabled. Should I leave it enabled, or disable it? Does Vista really control the fan speeds?

Thanks!

Comment

I don't know if Vista controls the fan speeds. I have Cool and Quiet enabled on my brother's system behind me (XP) and it really doesn't do much of anything. It's not much different than leaving it thermal controlled.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think XP needs extra software to control the fan speeds. Vista should do it without extra software installation. It really doesn't matter though whether it's on or off. Keep it on if you want the fans to spin slower (less noise) when you're not gaming. Try it out and see if you like it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I think Vista does not control the fan speed but the processor speed. Check out the 'performance and reliablitity monitor' - you can see the blue curve on the CPU load going to 50%.
                    You can change the performance profiles where you specify when it is allowed to reduce the processor clock.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X