can you teach me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you teach me

I do not know the true benefits of sli or crossfire over an 8800gtx over clocked edition or a 2900 from ati. Would you teach me.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: can you teach me

I believe you start seeing the true benefits of sli once you start gaming at 2500x1600. At lower resolutions you may not see much of a difference. I don't really know however seeing as having an 8800gtx, let alone an sli setup is just a pipe dream for me and I never gave it much thought.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Until your ramp up the resolution, SLI isn't really a big deal. Additionally, the way new and improved cards go, a single next gen card often out performs the current SLI set ups. In my opinion you're better off spending 600 on a fancy new card than 600 on two of last years model. If you then say, "hey, ill spend 1200 on two of the newest cards they just released," you should probably go kill yourself and leave me your CPU budget in a will.

There are also spotty sli glitches in some games. Not a huge deal as they're often resolved, but if the problem exists in YOUR game.. the one you play all the time.. it may be really disappointing. Check your fav game forums for known HW issues.
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Both Polska and Switch hit it pretty dead on lol. If you don't see yourself running at over 2000 x 1600 or so resolution, I would consider going with a 8800GTX/OC Edition instead of SLI'ing or Crossfire.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ok, hey do you know if uou have an sli board, will it take 1 ati and vice versa?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

If you have an sli board, it will take either 1 card, or two. If you put in 2 cards however they need to be the exact same card, ie) 2 x 8800gtx, not 1 8800gtx and 8800gts. At least that is how I understand it (granted I have seen articles claim you can run an ati and nvidia card in one pc, although this is no longer sli).

I believe Crossfire (ATI cards) is a little more flexible, where it allows you to run different cards together, I am not sure about this though, you would have to read up on specifics.

If you want an sli or crossfire setup, you need a motherboard that supports it, so an sli mobo wont support crossfire and vice versa. i think that's how it works haha, anyone want to confirm/clarify. There may be boards that support both sli and crossfire now however, I never bother to look into it.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

You'll also need a certified SLI power supply to be on the safe side (you might be able to do without a SLI certified PSU).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well, I know crossfire allows a high end card to be run with a lower end card, this causes the high end to be as slow as the lower end card. I was curious, can you put one nvidia card into a crossfire mobo or an ati card into a sli mobo? :) :/

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                  well, I know crossfire allows a high end card to be run with a lower end card, this causes the high end to be as slow as the lower end card. I was curious, can you put one nvidia card into a crossfire mobo or an ati card into a sli mobo? :) :/
                  Single card, yes.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You can't, however, combine a nVidia card with a ATI card in SLI/Crossfire. It would be plain unfair. ;)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      You can't, however, combine a nVidia card with a ATI card in SLI/Crossfire. It would be plain unfair. ;)
                      O- unfair now- ha? ;)

Comment

Although, if you can find a board that has a secondary PCI-E slot (would be a "3rd" PCI-E slot for those boards featuring SLI/Crossfire), then you can put in a nVidia card and ATI card and have one or the other slaved (dual monitors, etc.). Or did I get that all wrong?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Although, if you can find a board that has a secondary PCI-E slot (would be a "3rd" PCI-E slot for those boards featuring SLI/Crossfire), then you can put in a nVidia card and ATI card and have one or the other slaved (dual monitors, etc.). Or did I get that all wrong?
                          well, I did see a 3 card crossfire set up- is that idea of the board you mean.

Comment

I'm not sure how the nVidia drivers work these days with SLI but I'm pretty sure you can set dual monitors and switch back to SLI when you game. I'd imaging ATI drivers have a similar feature. Although, a second (or third in a SLI/Crossfire setup) should work for a second monitor.

I think having a third PCI-e slot is a bit overboard but it's probably in anticipation for video cards that can act as PPUs (Physics Processing Units) and using SLI/Crossfire too.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Also, what is quad sli? I saw an 8800 card with two main GPUs in it, so does that mean two cards equals quad sli?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X