Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 8600xx AGP. Where?

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...s-for-agp-slot

So according to "The Inquirer", the 8600GTS, 8600GT, and 8500GT were supposed to be released by nVidia in April 2007. It's now almost middle of October, where are these cards being sold? I can't seem to find them anywhere and there hasn't been any recent mention.

Anyone have a line on this? eRetailer, store, somewhere?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: The 8600xx AGP. Where?

I don't see the point in buying one of those anyhow. They don't perform very well, especially in DirectX 10. You're better off getting a last gen card.
    sigpic

Comment

the 8 series is PCI-E only. sory to burst your bubble. =|

Comment

The article didn't say the AGP version is coming. It was saying it's possible but not official.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Boo. There goes my bubble. *pop*
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That's why I wouldn't trust the Inquirer. :p It's more of a rumour site than news.

Comment

Why stick with such outdated tech?
              Skud

Comment

Outdated?! I just can't believe the rate the industry is pushing out tech. We have no where neared the limits of the AGP bus. The newest 88xx line could easily perform on the AGP bus as well as the PCI-E bus.

I even remember: I first had rebuilt this system with a GA board and PCI-E had just come out (only 2 manufacturers had it: ASUS and Intel). I thought: "Hey, I can't afford PCI-E, perhaps in like 2 years." BAM! 5 months later, PCI-E takes over the mainstream as if AGP was the Black Plague or something. Then I hear junior DIYers (high schoolers) bashing down on AGP (like they know what it is, much less seen it) and promoting PCI-E components because their dad got them a top-of-the-line XPS system.

Long story short, I still wish they would push the 8600 line onto AGP as well. I just put in this ASUS board 8 months ago. Plus I can't really afford a quality PCI-E board, new RAM, and new graphics right now. If they put out the mid-range 88xx series cards, then in a few months, I could maybe upgrade my poor performing 7600GS for a better card.

Sarc: Yeah...I don't think I'm going to get excited reading anything from them again. :p They had me looking at my bank account and my brain spinning in circles over a better graphics board for AGP.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It does seem like AGP is crap but only because the good cards aren't being released on in anymore. It's still a decent bus if it had some beefy cards. AGP has been around for quite a while so I think the industry is trying to move on (ie. sell more hardware for $$$).

If it's an Intel system, the change might not be so bad. They've kept with the same socket for a while and DDR2 memory so a new mobo and video card might not be so bad on the wallet.

The AMD systems are more annoying since AM2 came out. It feels like the new socket is worthless when all it gives is the same processors with DDR2 instead of DDR1. Then you find out there's going to be AM3 and scream bloody murder. It becomes an insane upgrade cost for a seemingly small boost in performance.

Comment

Well, I was just shocked. AGP 8x had just come out around early 2003 and by late 2005 they were already pushing it out the window. I remember the switch from ISA to PCI. We stayed with PCI for much longer before the AGP bus started taking over. With the PCI > AGP, I at least felt that PCI was indeed brought to its limits.

Sigh, now I wish I had put in a ASUS board with PCI-E, new graphics, and new RAM instead of staying with AGP (if I only had the money).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

I even remember: I first had rebuilt this system with a GA board and PCI-E had just come out (only 2 manufacturers had it: ASUS and Intel). I thought: "Hey, I can't afford PCI-E, perhaps in like 2 years." BAM! 5 months later, PCI-E takes over the mainstream as if AGP was the Black Plague or something. Then I hear junior DIYers (high schoolers) bashing down on AGP (like they know what it is, much less seen it) and promoting PCI-E components because their dad got them a top-of-the-line XPS system.
                      First off, that's very rude. I've built 3 computers, I've had an AGP card in the past...

I didnt quite say the technology was outdated. I was saying its outdated because alot of MoBo's are shifting to PCI-E. It's only outdated because of the market. EVERYTHING on ANYONE'S computer is now outdated, because within weeks its all over. Intel and AMD are releasing new processors like blood pumping out a severed limb.
                      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                        First off, that's very rude. I've built 3 computers, I've had an AGP card in the past...

I didnt quite say the technology was outdated. I was saying its outdated because alot of MoBo's are shifting to PCI-E. It's only outdated because of the market. EVERYTHING on ANYONE'S computer is now outdated, because within weeks its all over. Intel and AMD are releasing new processors like blood pumping out a severed limb.
                        I'm sorry, I wasn't trying or intending to be rude to you Skud. I just feel cheated by the industry when they decide to abandon those of us still on older tech. I'll leave it at that and hope there might be a future release for the AGP bus.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

We might see a different lifespan for AGP, PCI-e, etc. because they are buses dedicated, or mostly, to graphics. The industry will probably change from PCI-e in a few years to accomodate the advances in graphics technology.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see where AMD goes with ATI and their proposal idea of a onboard co-processor for graphics (doing away with dedicated boards).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X