Overclocking instability? and how to test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking instability? and how to test

For about 8? months now I've been overclocking my poor 2ghz northwood p4 and 6800GS agp combo up to 135% of the normal FSB setting using the BIOS controls. So it's about 2.7ghz. I also told it to not limit the agp/pci bus so that it matches the appropriate ratio for the new FSB. Things have run fine for months, no heat problems, idling at 87-90f on air cooling, although the GPU has always been pretty hot. I also boosted the cpu's voltage from 1.525 to 1.535.

A couple of months ago I had a problem with tribes 3 hard-locking my computer. It only happened a few times, then went away. I've noticed over the past couple months or so, Source games do the same thing, constantly and randomly. The screen will halt and the system keeps repeating the same couple miliseconds of sound every second to make a brp brp brp or piece of explosion, etc, although some games seem fairly immune to this, as TF2 works like a charm, and several other games with higher graphical requirements haven't crashed and burned like that.

It can't be a software problem (other than faulty nvidia drivers, but ones from as far back as june do it. I seem to recall it not happening until i updated from my stock 89.x series drivers, but those are WAY old by a couple years) as i've had my system completely wiped and reformatted a couple times since then, and have replaced my audio card with a SB XFI Xtreme Gamer. It still happens in source games, but those are the only thing.

Someone had suggested running Mersenne Prime95 in stress test mode to check for hardware problems in the cpu/memory interface. The Blend stress test immediately stop-error bluescreens my windows and forces an auto-restart, kernel panic. Have i burnt some inconspicuous bit out that only Source seems to trigger? Memtest86 didn't seem to find anything wrong with my memory, but was only run for about 6 hours while i was at work.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Overclocking instability? and how to test

Get rid of the overclock and try Prime95 again. If it runs longer than it does now, then the overclock is affecting stability. You'll have to stabilize with more voltage to the CPU.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sarc has the right idea, back off the OC and run prime95, see what happens. Up voltages but watch the temps. You can also try running your ram in a lower ratio and see if you can pass prime95 at the same cpu speeds your at now and vice versa to determine where the fault is.

I'm not clear on the pci agp speed settings your refering to but I know that some mobos have the ability to "lock" these speeds regardless of fps. This is what you want to do as increasing them gains you no performance and can cause lots of problems. I would suggest locking them at defualt frequency and see if that helps.

Comment

backing off, Prime95 works, but i tried it again with the OC on and it worked now, as well. The thing is, now that i've been futzing with it, now Red Orchestra and Unreal 2k4 crashed hard, something i've never epxerienced. At least WoW still runs.. lol.

My settings, under "Voltages/Temperatures" settings in my BIOS (2003 Award bios on a intel i845 chipset Gigabyte P-800 mobo.

I enabled "CPU Host Control" to turn on the OC options

CPU Host Frequency, set to 135mhz instead of 100.
        "Fixed PCI/AGP Frequency" set to disabled, which pushed it from 33/66 to something in the range of 48/90

"Host/DRAM clock ratio" i have no idea what exactly it controls, because there are only 3 options. Currently it's set to "automatic" which moved my ram frequency from 266 to 351, iirc. The options are "2.0" which drops it to 270mhz, and "2.66" which puts it to the same as "auto"

and i overvolted the cpu from 1.525v to 1.5375.

I find that if i set the pci/agp frequency setting to 33/66 again, things run, but some games stutter a lot more than usual. Is it possible that i'm sending stuff faster to memory than the memory can handle?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X