new lesson: ram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new lesson: ram

I know little on ram- only what type my laptop has. I NEED HELP, I would like to know as much as possible, please. :)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: new lesson: ram

RAM (Random Access Memory) is volatile memory. It is meant to temporarily store data to be processed by the CPU. Once the data has been processed or stored onto the hard drive, then it is "cleared" from RAM and that space is reallocated for use by another program.

There are several types. Some of the older RAM types are: EDO RAM, DRAM, SDRAM, RDRAM, and DDR RAM. Each module of RAM is often referred to as a DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module). DIYers usually say "stick" since most people get lost when we say DIMM. SDRAM is single channel RAM is more-or-less clocks out at an effective frequency of 400 MHz (some manufacturers promise higher). DDR RAM (Double Data Rate RAM) became the new industry standard after waging a short war against the not-so-popular and expensive RDRAM (aka RAMBUS). The advent of today's popular DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 is due in large part to it's faster speeds and higher bandwidth capability. DDR2 and DDR3 promise speeds of 800 Mhz and beyond (effective).

Laptops/Notebooks use SO-DIMM RAM. They are much shorter than desktop RAM but feature the same physical characters as desktop memory.

The physical components of the RAM is made up of a silicon board, gold-plated connector contacts, a notch, and arrangement of memory chips on the RAM board itself. DIMMs are often arranged in even numbered arrangements and will either be single-sided (memory chips on one side) or double-sided (memory chips on both sides).

Much like a CPU, RAM types differ in the number of "pins" that is used to connect with the mainboard/motherboard. DDR (DDR1) RAM is 184 pin and DDR2 is 240 pin. For the life of me, I can't recall what the other pin numbers are for EDO, DRAM, RDRAM, and SDRAM. Also, different types of RAM have different voltages and timings (4-2-2-4).

Currently, the mainstream uses DDR2 RAM. Some older systems might run on DDR or SDRAM. Future systems might run on the faster DDR3 RAM.

How much more do you want to know? I could go into memory timings and explain a little of that, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Google has been my best friend in terms of learning about technology. You can learn a lot by asking questions here, but if you want more info, google away!

Comment

Tomshardware has a great article on this, although it only covers DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 RAM I 'm sure you 'll find it interesting. :)
        Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

If you want a picture of SDRAM, DRAM, or EDO RAM, I can try to dig out a stick of each from my small pile of old hardware I have lying around my bedroom.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            If you want a picture of SDRAM, DRAM, or EDO RAM, I can try to dig out a stick of each from my small pile of old hardware I have lying around my bedroom.
            Hahaha
            I think it's time to make some keychains.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

:p

A part of me just wants to save it for my future grandchildren so I can tell them what ancient was like for me in the day. ;) Plus I still run across some 486SX and P1/P2 systems in the back alleys once in a while. I even picked up some old Win98/95 Keys and 2 PIIIs the other day. :D

Oh I forgot to mention that with the advent of DDR memory, motherboards started to support the dual-channel feature which effectively doubles the data rate of DDR memory. This feature also carries over to DDR2 and presumably DDR3.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

A-A, I have am old Gate Way 2k that has a p2 in it with !32!mg of ram in it! Well, it works well for all does games and typing... its my trash heap creation.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Well then, I don't need to dig out my EDO RAM, since you have it in that system. That was quite a bit of RAM in the days of the PII. Most apps back then required 2 MB to 8 MB of RAM.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have 64 RAM on a PII IBM Thinkpad. Something like a 600E model i think. Windows 95 FTW. I still game on it occasionally, but the integrated gfx is terrible, only 4 mbs of ram,

Worst part is that it doesnt have an Ethernet port, so i cant go online with it (at all).
                    "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

600E? Wow, wasn't that a '98 model?

RDRAM was developed by RAMBUS, but never won the battle with DDR. Plus they are more expensive to produce even though their effective bus speed was 800mhz (double that of DDR1). I have a old Dell Dimension 8000 series desktop that has a pair of it. It costs quite a bit nowadays if you want to get a gig of it.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X