Quad Core or Core2 Duo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Core or Core2 Duo

So, do these new quad cores offer anything superior to gaming over a good dual core?
    I have to think that more processors are going to run at SLOWER speeds...good for multitasking...but not necessarily BETTER for gaming...

Anyone have any thoughts?
    - I'll go check www.Tomshardware.com in the meantime for benchmark scores
    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Re: Quad Core or Core2 Duo

Originally posted by w.WAREHOUSE View Post
    So, do these new quad cores offer anything superior to gaming over a good dual core?
    I have to think that more processors are going to run at SLOWER speeds...good for multitasking...but not necessarily BETTER for gaming...

Anyone have any thoughts?
    - I'll go check www.Tomshardware.com in the meantime for benchmark scores
    Until games start doing a better job of being multi-threaded you want the fastest core you can get...so I would recommend a dual core at this point in time.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I just picked up the Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Gotta love it. I can have a couple VM images running in the background and still fire up a game and play without issue. Works great with apps like Photoshop when you're using that alongside other apps like Illustrator or whatever.

It is true that you're not going to get much improvement with applications that only use a single core, but also keep in mind that the whole host of services and background applications that are running on your machine are spread across 4 cores now which frees up clock cycles on whatever cores your application or game actually uses.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I just read about this in PC World.

Quad Core is great if you have the cash, but the performance increase is marginal. Two models at the same clock speed were almost the same performance. 8 core may be a noticable difference, but as for now Core 2 Duo is where its at.

Invest in a REALLY great Core 2 Duo, not a quad.
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
          I just read about this in PC World.

Quad Core is great if you have the cash, but the performance increase is marginal. Two models at the same clock speed were almost the same performance. 8 core may be a noticable difference, but as for now Core 2 Duo is where its at.

Invest in a REALLY great Core 2 Duo, not a quad.
          That really goes back to what applications you're running. I've looked at a lot of testing and it's usually surrounding benchmarks of a single application rather than a suite of applications. If you only play games or do very basic things with your PC, you're not going to see a major performance increase. If you actively use your machine to run MULTIPLE applications at the same time, you will see a rather significant performance increase.

What magazines like PC World should do is have a couple heavy processes running and THEN benchmark the CPU with a third application.'

C2Q6600 is $278 right now on newegg.. Not that bad at all.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I've been using the Q6600 for about 4 months on my Desktop and definately see a performance increase over the C2d I used here at work. As Apophis said you won't see too much increase when running one program. But at home I can have Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Illustrator open while listening to music in the background and switch between all of them without and noticible lag. At work the computer starts to drastically slow down if you try to open just 3 of those programs.
            Now I have to admit the 1gig extra of ram I have at home also helps it out quite a bit but the extra two cores makes a differences as well.

| |

Comment

Tom's Hardware (where you seem to be headed already) just opened up an article this week on this very subject.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...el_processing/

As others have stated, you're basically not going to see much improvement in gaming if you get a Quad- and in some cases you'll even get worse performance. However, if you're doing multiple non-gaming tasks on a regular basis, a Quad can definitely be of help. The differences in gaming are relatively minimal, so you just gotta figure out what you do most, and then go with the more cost-effective solution. I'm planning to build a new rig within a month or two here myself, and will be sticking with the Dual.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                Tom's Hardware (where you seem to be headed already) just opened up an article this week on this very subject.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...el_processing/
                Thx for that link... I read about all the latest articles on Toms this week but I must 've missed this one.

My bro BigGaayAl asked me to build him a system because he 's planning to upgrade next month (he 's still gaming on my old rig which I sold him 3 years ago, it 's over 6 years old now :)). I couldn't really decide whether the Q6600 was worth the extra 60€ for the marginal performance gain on the E6750.

I 'll tell him to read this article and decide for himself :). I do think future PC games will definitely use multiple cores, so it might be worth the investment.
                Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that we're going to start seeing more and more games that can properly use multi-threads in which case you'll probably get a pretty significant performance boost with the quad. If you can afford it IMO the quad is definately worth it. With the right Mobo they are also very easy for OC I have mine running at 3.2GHZ at the moment with only a 2 degree difference than running a factory clocks.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by pedestrian01 View Post
                    Another thing to keep in mind is that we're going to start seeing more and more games that can properly use multi-threads in which case you'll probably get a pretty significant performance boost with the quad. If you can afford it IMO the quad is definately worth it. With the right Mobo they are also very easy for OC I have mine running at 3.2GHZ at the moment with only a 2 degree difference than running a factory clocks.
                    Yup, since processors have hit a "Speed wall", more and more application will be implementing multi-threading.

Games will take longer to adopt multi-threading since it is a huge shift in coding mentality. Although Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 all support multi-threading

Comment

With the right Mobo they are also very easy for OC I have mine running at 3.2GHZ at the moment with only a 2 degree difference than running a factory clocks.
                      What 's your mobo and are you still talking about the Q6600?

I had this one in mind for Al... supports DDR3 so he should be good for the next few years.
                      Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Damonte picked up the el cheapo E4200 (1.8GHz Core2 Duo @ 800Mhz FSB) and a GigaByte DS3 this past March. The CPU overclocked flawlessly to 2.7GHz (50% gain). The CPU was only $100.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
                          What 's your mobo and are you still talking about the Q6600?

I had this one in mind for Al... supports DDR3 so he should be good for the next few years.
                          This is my current Mobo. It overclocks fairly well but it's not the best. If you plan on going SLI in the future then this is probably the best you're gunna find that will do both though.
                          From what I've hear the p35 chipset is really good for OCer's specifically the Asus and Gigabyte brands. I originally had an Intel Mobo but I strongly advise you to stay away from them. Most of them will only support certain types of RAM and you are usually not able to OC with them at all.

| |

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that we're going to start seeing more and more games that can properly use multi-threads in which case you'll probably get a pretty significant performance boost with the quad.
                            I have no doubt that in time we will see games like these. The question is, though, how soon? Bear in mind, too, that the Intel chips aren't true Quad cores, and that makes a difference in some things.

Your average gaming rig probably lasts around 3 years before you need significant upgrades in order to simply play games at acceptable performance levels. If you're someone who likes to make sure you're always playing with every bell and whistle possible enabled, you're looking at 1-2 years between rigs. Considering that, if you build for games of a new technology that won't mainstream for 2-4 years, it's possible that you could be wasting money. By the time Joe Bob's Ultimate Adventure with GlobThreading technology comes out, you could be needing a new rig anyway.

Just look at DX10. Yes, it's going to become the standard, that's a given. But how many games right now use it? Only a few at the moment are coming out built for it- many games are still being built on DX9 technology. If you bought a DX10 video card a year ago, it's quite possible that by the time you can take full advantage of it, you'll have to replace it anyway.

Not saying it's a bad idea to build with the future in mind. Just saying to be mindful of how far into the future you build, and at what cost. Do you want to spend $500 now and $200 for replacement gear in a year or two that bypasses what you just bought? Or will two installments of $250 do you better?
                            [squadl]
                            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                              I have no doubt that in time we will see games like these. The question is, though, how soon? Bear in mind, too, that the Intel chips aren't true Quad cores, and that makes a difference in some things.
                              In time? How about now.
                              Episode 2, Supreme Commander, Crysis, and all UT3 engine games, for starters, all support quad core.

Safe to say that any big release from here on out is going to support 4 processors (and Valve's is designed to use however many you have) Haven't looked into Intel much lately, so I still don't know if the higher price is worth it yet, but it'll definitely be of use.

I'd probably wait and see how AMD's quad-core Phenoms turn out, however.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X