What is an OEM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an OEM?

for my new pc i need an operating system, so can some on tell me if this will do
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...tid=20&subcat=
    the only thing i have noticed is it is an oem, what does this mean????
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Re: What is an OEM?

Original Equipment Manufacturer

It means the hardware/software is meant for system builders. It doesn't come in a fancy box or maybe lacks a driver CD. For software, it means you must make a system purchase or some sort to get the OEM software. For an OS, there might be restrictions on whether you can buy it or not. Technically, the shop should be checking that the buyer is meeting the requirements of OEM (ie. buying a system).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What i am doign is buying my pc in parts and then assembling them at home. So would i be able to use this disk to install vista onto a nw computer I am building?? and would i beable to recieve vista updates?
      Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

yes

Comment

OEM is the same software as regular retail. The difference is it's sold to manufacturers for building systems.

If you can buy it, go for it. It's usually cheaper.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The only difference between retail and OEM Vista is retail packages the 64-bit version as well, where as OEM only packs in the 32/64-bit (depending on which one you bought).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry even more questions, for anyone who feels liek helpign this idiot that is me. I am buying an ati card but just one for the moment, is there any advantage with having an ATI crossfire motherboard, or should I stick to a cheaper Nvidia chipset motherboard?

Comment

most of the time SLI or Crossfire isnt worth the cost of a second card with a small performance boost. Most people will just buy a new card instead of a second older one.
                "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

SLI really comes in handy when you run huge resolutions for games, not a huge improvement for games otherwise, for now I'd stick with the cheaper board but make sure the manufacturer is reliable (Asus is a good one)
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I'm running an OEM version of Vista Home Premium x64 and I couldn't be happier with it. I thought it was a much better deal than going with the retail box. Also, I'd stick with a single card. Crossfire/SLi is cool but it's not worth the money and effort it takes to get it working properly.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have bought it, and compared to my old box...........
                      ITS A BEAST!!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X