Dragon Naturally Speaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Naturally Speaking

My wrist is starting to bother me a little and I was thinking about giving it a rest until it's gameing time. I was wondering about Dragon Naturally Speaking. Has anyone had and success with this program?

Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking

Do you elevate your wrists when you key, and use an appropriate (IBM Model-M) keyboard?

Comment

It's the mouse hand.
      Pain is nothing but pissed off tissue and if I can leave it alone for a bit. I can pretend nothings wrong and continue on with my old wayz instead of having to do something about it.

Comment

Try sleeping in a wrist brace, it worked for me and my wrist pain was definitely mouse-induced. I only had to wear it for a week or so at night. You may also consider learning how to game with a track ball "mouse." I know a few guys here game successfully with them.

What you don't want to do is "play" through the pain or "continue on with [your] old wayz". You can get some serious RSI that may never (read: NEVER) go away. It can turn into debilitating, chronic pain--just from improper mousing. My mother in-law is a physical therapist and has a few young (20-30 somthings) patients that have chronic RSI from mice.

Gaming just isn't worth it.

You might also look at environmental factors. Simply getting a new chair, changing the elevation of your mouse/elbow/wrist may end the pain all together.

Take care of your wrist man.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I got this too. Because of how I put my wrist against my headboard. I'd suggest other life-changes concerning your wrist on top of these thigns.
          Skud

Comment

Yeah I know I should be careful. It just started so I'm hoping it will go away. It's actually much better since I posted. If it persists I will definitely handle it.

So I guess dragon is crapware since no one is using it.

Comment

it all depends on what you plan to do with it.
              I have found that when I type, the pace of my typing helps me focus my thoughts. I typically do lots of scientific writing and find myself having to choose my words carefully. When I speak, I speak more colloquially than when I type. I never handwrite anymore. Thoughts go from my brain to the keyboard.

When I used Dragon, I found that it hindered the clarity of my presentation and the quality of the thoughts that were written down.

I would start a sentence, realize It was not quite right, then have to redo it. It ended up taking far too long to write even a post like this. I tried it out because of a carpal tunnel issue as well. I have found that better positioning and work habits helped more than using text to speech. Also, my Massachusetts accent hurt recognition badly. Overall, my writing suffered significantly.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My friend has used this, i was there, not incredibly great. It would recognize some stuff pretty well, but like Science, we have NJ accents, which kinda threw it off. I imagine a Boston accent would be worse, but it could be a problem no matter what. Overall id say pass, maybe look a different programs?
                "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

Office has something built into it that works great for me. Since my machine had Office pre-installed at home and at work its basically free to me.

P.S. Vista has it built in as well, and does much more than just typing, i use it on my gaming machine to "show off".
                  Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Icehawk217 View Post
                    My friend has used this, i was there, not incredibly great. It would recognize some stuff pretty well, but like Science, we have NJ accents, which kinda threw it off. I imagine a Boston accent would be worse, but it could be a problem no matter what. Overall id say pass, maybe look a different programs?
                    Considering Dragon Systems is a Massachusetts company and Nuance, the company that bought Dragon, is also a Massachusetts company, maybe a Boston accent is EXACTLY what you need. :)

I did quite a bit of work for Dragon Systems back during the dot com boom. In addition to my company doing their web site and e-commerce channel, my group did some technology consulting. I seem to remember having to lay the smack down on one of their chief IT people during a meeting we had with their executive committee for being a card-carrying idiot.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

whats funny was it was great with the mass "r" sound, but would mix up other letter combos for me. but this was probably like 5-6 years ago. I suspect it has improved since then. I think the major detractor for me was my inability to produce coherent text by speaking it rather than writing it.

for causal emails and letters, it may be great.

of course now that I have kids, I think it would be an epic festival of suck with the background noise I work with.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                        It's the mouse hand.
                        Pain is nothing but pissed off tissue and if I can leave it alone for a bit. I can pretend nothings wrong and continue on with my old wayz instead of having to do something about it.
                        Would an ergonomic mouse help? I know it wouldn't help with typing, but you can always do that with one hand (<insert joke here>).

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                          Would an ergonomic mouse help? I know it wouldn't help with typing, but you can always do that with one hand (<insert joke here>).
                          +Repped+
                          Thanx, that may be the perfect thing for me. It never occurred to me that there may be ergonomic mice. I'm going to look for them locally to see how they fit. Here are some more wrist friendly crazy mice.

Comment

I use both a wrist brace & a Trackball Mouse for gaming & a graphics tablet for regular PC use. I have bilateral carpal tunnel with both hands & wrists. I had the operation around 4 years ago to alleviate the symptoms which helped but use all ergonomic input devices now to prevent the carpel tunnel returning. Have a look at the tablets here http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/ they take a bit of getting use to but personally i would now never use a standard mouse again.
                            [defense]

Comment

When your wrist hurts from gaming. Use a leaf blower, a lawn mover, or ride a moped. You need something with vibration. Even in the winter I start up the mower and push against the ground to lift the front wheels and let my hands and wrists shake vigorously. It feels better the next morning. Sounds weird, but it works...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X