seeking upgrade advise on vista and DX10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeking upgrade advise on vista and DX10

I see a couple of threads asking similar questions, but don't want to rail there own search for specific advise...

I think it's finally time to move to Direct X10 and Vista, mainly because all the newer games are supporting DX10 more and more... like the broadcast tools coming for World in Conflict Monday which only work with DirectX10... along with other similar tactical shooters...

I was trying to hold off, frankly because I have a damn good system already...

My current system:
    Dell XPS Gen 4
    P4-2.75 MHz Dual Core
    2 gigs of DDR2 ram
    Audity Soundblaster
    Raedon X1950X w/512 video ram
    Windows XP Media Edition

I've priced new, similar systems with a price range of 3K plus, so for 3K plus all I'm really upgrading is the graphic card to a Direct X 10 compatible card, and Vista (which I already have on my second hard drive), but rarely use it.

So my question... should I just get a new, state of the art system at 3K plus, or just buy the 600 plus Direct X 10 video card?

and what single video card is the best that supports Direct X 10 and dual monitors, because I have no room for a dual card, my PhysX card takes it up.

or should I hold off a little longer, end of year, for a quad core new system?

advise/recommendations?

thx in advance.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: seeking upgrade advise on vista and DX10

I'd wait, Nvidia is supposed to release their next series of DirectX 10 cards in November or December. So waiting a month or two will probably get you a card that costs the same as current cards while be faster than current cards.

Comment

I'd say buy the brand system and give a poor guy like me your old one. ;)

Comment

Depending on the resolution you want to game at, you can get a 8800GTS or a GTX. The supposed new nVidia cards in the next month or so are mid-range cards. They won't be new flagship cards.

When you want to upgrade your system, you can always reuse the card you get now. Also, selling your X1950 now will have a larger resale value than later in the year.

A $3K system is quite a lot of money. You could definitely buy a good system for much cheaper than that. If you're not buying a new monitor or harddrives, $1500 can get you a really good system that even includes a new video card.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

That P4 is going to bottleneck a higher end card a bit. I'd probably wait until November and pick up one of the new mid-range 8800GT cards. I think they'll have single slot coolers. Right now, any Direct X 10 card you buy with a single slot cooler will be a downgrade from your x1950.

Also, you really ought to consider building rather than buying a new system. You'll save yourself a few hundred (or even thousand) bucks and wind up with the same thing but with better parts.
          sigpic

Comment

It's probably wiser to just upgrade your video card. $3000 is a lot of money to throw down for another computer.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have bought myself a 2900 pro sapphire graphics card 512mb, it runs like a beauty compared to my old one which iwas a geforce 6800. Im quite sure this on i have is directx10 compatible. And it only cost 190.
              Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I have a direct x 10 question. I just installed vista and let it do all of its upgrades to now.

I don't know if directx 10 was in the upgrade. How can I check to see what directx I'm running. Or can I just download directx 10 and install it over whatever one I have now directx 10 included?

FUN FUN

Comment

once you purchase and install a DX10 game, it should come with the files necessary to be DX10, just like other games come with DX9, at least i think so