Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud late night gaming that wont wake the dead. (Buttkicker Review)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud late night gaming that wont wake the dead. (Buttkicker Review)

So, the last woot-off had a brand new thing of "Buttkicker Gamers" for a low low low low low price of $19.99 +$5 shipping. So needless to say i got one (Should have got more).... This was the second time i've ever purchased anything from Woot, and seeing is how the Buttkicker Gamer sells for ~$150 i was a bit skeptical on if i was actually going to get one... Well, true to their word, a brand new set of Buttkicker Gamer showed up to my door. It took 14 days, but for that price it was well worth the wait.

Setup took only the matter of minuets, use the Y-Splitter for the Center/Sub, hook up the RCA style cable into a "Grounding Unit" and then into Buttkicker AMP. The AMP then connects to a satellite unit with a 8' cable that connects to one of the posts of your chair. My chair, being one of those corporate style chairs, has one post with nematic style raising/lowering. It uses a ingenious clamp, that allows perfect contact on the single leg of my chair, no rattling, no scratching, not even a single bend as I tightened as much as the thing would allow (Without breaking itself, strong little buggers).

The AMP unit has several settings, a Frequency Knob to select the pickup/cutoff level, A "Volume" knob to select how much kick you'd like, a Low Filter Cutoff to not pickup the really low frequencies, and a High Filter Cutoff, to not pick up the higher frequencies. The back of the unit has a on/off swich, and its recommended to turn it of while not in use, so this makes for a minor problem, i would have prefered the power swich in the front, or remotely hosted somehow like my Logitech Z-5500's (Which are unbelievably awesome!!!)

Apearance wise the Buttkicker add's a really "Gamerish" feeling to your setup. Its black with silver trim and the vibrating unit on the chair is Black and Red, which are my two favorite colors. So if you dont have a black/silver setup the AMP might look out of place, and the size of it reminds me of my UPS which i had to relocate due to the fact it wasnt powerful enough to power my PC/Monitor/Speakers and Buttkicker... I want everything on a UPS, and we've got some server grade UPS's at work laying around, so i may buy one off of them, till then just my PC/Monitor are on my UPS *Which is the way its supposed to be, im just spoiled*.

Performance wise this thing ROCKS! In more than one ways. Listening to music i can crank up the Buttkicker, and experience a full on, high performance Sub without blaring the rest of my speakers, and in turn not waking anyone on my late night gaming escapades. But, while the Buttkicker can add more life to your music, it was meant for gaming... Something it deals with VERY WELL! I was playing some CS:S and Grenades and Gun Fire felt so realistic. It made me feel like i was actually feeling the concussion of the Flash bangs, or the kick of a AUG during combat. In battlefield 2, the tanks were indescribable, the low vibration from driving around made me actually believe i was in the vehicle driving on location. The Main gun fire was even more crazy, i seriously cant describe the extra sense of realism this thing delivers. Best of all, the way its setup, you can crank the "Sub" on the Buttkicker without any real noise creating cranky neighbors/wifes/kids... This thing with Headphones makes for an even more immersive experience, but I highly recommend if you've got a 5.1 Surround Sound Card to get some headphones to do it justice. 5.1 Headphones much like the Zalman's I own.

As an added bonus it makes for a very good massage. I've sat in those highly expensive chairs with built in vibrators and what not for a "Corporate Massage" but this thing is so much better. With the right song it'll leave you tension free, and feeling much better.

As my Afro-American friend Kenny would say "This beatch hits hard!"

So, if you can find a steal much like i did for $24.99 or want to pay the full price, i say its well worth the gaming/music/movie investment. I dont watch movies on my computer, but i just might do so now that i got this thing :)

I rate it a 8/10 Overall 'Not average'
    10/10 for setup ease
    9/10 for settings and configuration
    8/10 for cost to me*

*Due to my deal off of Woot it would cost more for someone else, and thus would really be a 6/10, for the full price of $150 i was skeptical, if i was able t test it before i bought it i would have. This thing makes what was already a awesome gaming setup an even more awesome setup.

System Specs:
    AMD X2 5600+ OC 3.2Ghz
    Geforce 8800GTS OC 620/1100
    Tunic Tower 120
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
    4GB DDR2-1066
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Logitech Z-5500
    Dell Ultrasharp 24" Widescreen @ 1920*1200
    Buttkicker Gamer
    Oyee

Re: Loud late night gaming that wont wake the dead. (Buttkicker Review)

I'm lost...is this another "rumble" device? Or is this a "gamer-fi'd" headphone amp?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Its like a rumble pad for your chair. ;p
      Oyee

Comment

Sounds like it would be a good way to trick my girlfriend into playing games...
        sigpic

Comment

Are the vibrations really quiet? I think it might disturb anybody a floor below but be fine for anybody in the adjacent room.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
            Are the vibrations really quiet? I think it might disturb anybody a floor below but be fine for anybody in the adjacent room.
            Im living in a Mobil home, with really crappy floors. When my sub woofer is full tilt its felt throughout the whole house. The Buttkicker on the other hand is not like this, its only felt on the chair itself. (Or so it seems.)
            Oyee

Comment

Sarc, you could always put your chair over a thick rubber/carpet mat. That'll dampen any vibrations (which shouldn't be heard then a floor below).

How rumbly is it? Is it like bone-jawing, lip curling, teeth rattling?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Sarc, you could always put your chair over a thick rubber/carpet mat. That'll dampen any vibrations (which shouldn't be heard then a floor below).

Good point. It's attached to the chair! I was thinking this thing is like a subwoofer on the floor. I don't think this thing would rumble that much though. It would be weird if it rumbled enough to shake the floor... or maybe that would be awesome?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

The "Volume" knob goes in this descriptive order.

Slight Tickle
                  Smooth Massage
                  Quick Rattle
                  Harsh Rattle
                  Butt Busting
                  Broken Chair

Yes, im sure this thing will rattle a chair (like mine) to pieces with enough play.

I tested this on several different mediums, and the one that seem's to make the most vibration is the multiple sounds in-game (Voice, Guns, Grenades, ect) all at once.

After 3 hours of game play my lower end had a rather noticeable tingle to it.
                  Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                    Good point. It's attached to the chair! I was thinking this thing is like a subwoofer on the floor. I don't think this thing would rumble that much though. It would be weird if it rumbled enough to shake the floor... or maybe that would be awesome?
                    Your downstairs neighbor will be wondering what sort of "concert" you have going on upstairs. ;)

Originally posted by Black_Viper
                    The "Volume" knob goes in this descriptive order.

Slight Tickle
                    Smooth Massage
                    Quick Rattle
                    Harsh Rattle
                    Butt Busting
                    Broken Chair

Yes, im sure this thing will rattle a chair (like mine) to pieces with enough play.

I tested this on several different mediums, and the one that seem's to make the most vibration is the multiple sounds in-game (Voice, Guns, Grenades, ect) all at once.

After 3 hours of game play my lower end had a rather noticeable tingle to it.
                    Broken Chair. :row__642:

It must feel nice having an extra dimension of depth to your gameplay. :)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X