• new system feedback?

OK, I can get my hands on an:

Intel Core 2 quad processor Q6600 at 2.40GHz,
    Vista Home Premium,
    4 GB of memory at 800MHz,
    320 GB SATA HD (10,000 RPM) Raid 0,
    768 MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX,
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

Is that a good enough machine to run these Direct X 10 games with dual monitor support at a reasonable level... I decided not to go extreme high end, because I'm becoming more of a console gamer, but still want some of this great Direct X10 stuff like World in Conflict, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War...along with the future Lock On helicopter games announced not to long ago.

opinions/feedback?
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: new system feedback?

The only game you may have issues running is Crysis on their ultra high settings. That is the only game I have come across so far which gives my gts trouble (even though you have a gtx, but still crysis is a beast). Having said that though they say Crysis is and will be more optimized for dx10, and it is still beta.

You may also want to think about overclocking the cpu and gpu. Both of those seem to overclock really well (of course its always luck of the draw). I read 3Ghz is fairly easily achieved by most (assuming its a G0 stepping) although that is something you can always leave for down the road.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Why does no oen want AMD anymore, personally i prefer them, though it may just be brand loyalty. But it seemed cheaper for me to get a 3.0GHZ dual AMD
      Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Because they aren't superior at the moment. I bought an AMDATi laptop, and it was about as much fun to get even XP on as getting headbutted in the appendix by a speargun.

Comment

hey i think your rig looks good , im looking at getting same one in a month , get in online ?

Comment

I'm looking at getting a very similar rig Magnum.
            The only differences - I think I'm going with 2 gigs of Ram (to drop price some) and I'm going to try and overclock the Q6600. Also gives you the option to go with another 8800GTX in the future when prices drop for SLI.

You should be good to go!

Comment

Just make sure you get a decent cooler for your cpu. I have pretty much the same rig as Magnum but I have the Tuniq Tower cooling the Q6600. I have it up to around 3.1ghz at 40-42C idle.

Comment

The 4GB will need a 64-bit OS to take full advantage.

Anticipate on replacing the 8800GTX in the next year. You could even get a 8800GTS and replace it next year. DX10.1 is coming out soon (along with cards supporting the spec) and we really don't know how well the 8800's perform in DX10 games. So it may be a good idea to get a semi-decent card that handles what you need now. Then replace it before the value depreciates too much.

I think going on the track of upgrading frequently but getting semi-decent hardware is a much better option. You're using some of the latest technology (not the best) and won't get stuck with old hardware at the end of a 3 year cycle. As it stands, the 8800GTX is almost 2x more (or more depending on brand, etc.) than a 8800GTS 640MB. If the 8800GTX has a lifetime of 2 or 3 years, the 8800GTS can last 1-1.5 years before upgrading to another mid-range card. It costs the same (maybe less if you invest the money saved) and you get new hardware much sooner.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Your GTX will be able to handle dual-monitors fine along with most of the games you've mentioned.

Check Tom's Hardware's VGA Charts for a better performance comparison.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post

Vista Home Premium,

Is that a good enough machine to run these Direct X 10 games with dual monitor support at a reasonable level... I decided not to go extreme high end, because I'm becoming more of a console gamer, but still want some of this great Direct X10 stuff like World in Conflict, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War...along with the future Lock On helicopter games announced not to long ago.

opinions/feedback?
                    thats a really good system
                    i recommend the asus stiker mobo
                    i just got a new pc and its not up to par with that monster

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                    Delta MICS
                    Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline View Post
                      I'm looking at getting a very similar rig Magnum.
                      The only differences - I think I'm going with 2 gigs of Ram (to drop price some) and I'm going to try and overclock the Q6600. Also gives you the option to go with another 8800GTX in the future when prices drop for SLI.

You should be good to go!

good luck finding cards after the new ones come out man its only been a few weeks since the gt came out and now i cant find a 8800 gts 320 to sli with
                      my friend wait till feb- apirl new gforce comes out then

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                      Delta MICS
                      Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Originally posted by alexandermottram View Post
                        Why does no oen want AMD anymore, personally i prefer them, though it may just be brand loyalty. But it seemed cheaper for me to get a 3.0GHZ dual AMD
                        AMD is just slowly losing it or should I say LOST it. Reviews I have read comparing the new 45nm processors that Intel plan on releasing very soon still are going to outperform AMD's newest so called "true" quad core processor the Phenom. The reviews I read does show the Phenom being very close to the E6600 or the Q6600 but still did not top the cake and remember these are the old processor designs not the new, which are expected to be a lot better. As far as pricing goes AMD used to be very effective for the price compared to Intel but now the 8% difference between the Phenom and Intel isn't justified from what I seen compared to the E6600 and the Q6600 Intel processors. The Phenom can't even touch the QX9650 in the reviews I read on performance but of course the Phenom($239 newegg.com) beats the the QX9650($1,295 newegg.com) all to hell but the Phenom isn't supposed to be compared to that processor, it is meant to compete against the E6600($234 newegg.com) and Q6600($279 newegg.com) processors. That comparison between the QX9650 and the phenom is not justified though, that is like a Dodge Viper running against a old Fiat.

Maybe within the next year AMD will step up their R&D and deliver something really exciting into the gaming community but as of now it doesn't look real promising, my opinion.

Comment

opinions/feedback?
                          Any reason you would opt for a RAID0? That means you are using 2x 160gb disks and if one of these two disks fails, you will probably lose all your 320gb of data...
                          RAID0 gives you a slight write/read speed advantage, but I doubt it will be noticeable for gaming. So I would rather go for a 2x 320gb disk setup with RAID1 or leave the 2x160gb disks without RAID.
                          former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Vista Home Premium,

opinions/feedback?
                            I am going with this setup soon. What is the best motherboard for a setup like this?
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse