Any Verizon FIos guys here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Verizon FIos guys here?

Thinking of getting rid of comcast since I've dealt with there every yearly problems with my TV and Internet problems...

What I want to know if you have fios is:

1. True compared to your old ISP speeds?
    2. Your upload speeds
    3. Downtime/slowdown during afternoon-evenings

edit: I put this in hardware/software section, if its wrong section I apologize in advance

Re: Any Verizon FIos guys here?

This is a decent section for it, I think.

I do not have Fios, but have been anticipating it greatly. One of my co-workers was in the pilot in Keller, Texas.

The speed is silly. Like, truly silly. The max upload offered is 5Mb/s, which is faster than most of us are downloading stuff.

The fiber connection is shared with at most 32 (if memory serves) homes at once. Speed is passively optimized, so if fewer are sharing at a given moment, everyone's speed gets to play with the bandwidth (up to whatever limit you buy).

If you do decide to get Fios, PM me so I can get a damn referral credit (nothing like "recommended pieces of flare" rules...). :P
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

It seems FIOS isn't available where I live. (AT&T monopoly)

How much is this being offered at a month? And is the modem included?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Verizon is in the process of installing FIOS at my apartment complex. It should be offered by the end of the month. I'm considering it.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          It seems FIOS isn't available where I live. (AT&T monopoly)

How much is this being offered at a month? And is the modem included?
          It's less about a monopoly and more about laying the groundwork. VZ has to lay a LOAD of fiber down, as this is FTTP (fiber to the premises). The fiber runs to your house (the passive splitter can only be something like 150 feet away).

When Fios comes to town, you'll know it from the backhoes. :)
          [volun2]
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Meh, I still don't have any other choice. The lower half of my neighbor and the downtown area to the north can select from AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, RCN, and Quest for broadband internet. But since I've signed up for AT&T internet (back in '98 when it used to be Ameritech), I have tried all of these companies repeatedly trying to see when they would offer, but no luck. Plus AT&T says they can't offer me a faster connection than my slow 1.5 mbps.

Backhoes?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

They got to dig the street

I work in the Tel Com field.

The Version system works. Plain and simple. Most of the preformance loss people on Comcast, Cox, Time warner and the likes have is do to old damaged and no operating equipment. Version not only has less users per Node, but all their equpiment is brand new.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Can't imagine fiber optics being slower than cable.... Though I wish they'd fess up to the fact that once it reaches your house it goes through a box and isnt run on light anymore.... they try to give the impression that a beam of light is going straight into your computer... stupid noob regular people believe it!

I'm all for FIOS when it reaches my house... the only problem is that we got rid of our land line a long while ago... to get involved with verizon again will be a hassel... and the cable company might notice that they've been giving us free cable/hbo when they shut off our internet connection :(
                |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                That noob who crashed the chopper.
                That noob who ran over the mine.
                That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Heh, maybe some getup company will build a "FiOS," NiC that brings "light," straight into your PC. They made the Killer NiC and people buy it, so who knows?

Comment

The problem with Fios though is that the fiber they're laying is already out of date. Verizon's fiber lines have a max speed of 45mbs while other countries are on the verge of pushing gigabit connections to residents.
                    Don't get me wrong if Fios ever comes to my town I'll make the switch but it could be so much faster and cheaper than what verizon is offering.

| |

Comment

This thread has gotten me all pumped up for FiOS. Now I can barely wait for it to reach my house! :D
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah FIOS is now in my neighborhood within November, I've seen a few trucks putting the lines down but I dont want that disaster from verizon in 2000 with me having crap speeds all day because neighbors were online too... so the fios is good speeds all the time?

Btw the commerical says "Fastest connection ever", well for the states.. Japan beats us in broadband by like 5 times

Comment

Fios is supposed to be available in my city (philly) but its not yet available in my neighborhood.

Comment

The fiber bandwidth is shared with at most 32 people before it heads to a central office. That's a)a fairly small number and b)fiber-optic clean to your house wall. Your speeds should be -- compared to today's current standards -- rather insane.

And seriously, PM me so I can get a referral credit. :)
                            [volun2]

Comment

This crawled across my screen this morning, a topical development.
                              [volun2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X