Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you download and play at the same time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you download and play at the same time?

Is this possible? For example, while I'm downloading the Crysis demo could I have a game running, say TF2, BF2142 (or any other game)?

Does another application running affect the download?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Can you download and play at the same time?

I haven't noticed any issues downloading via HTTP and gaming at the same time normally. Now, downloading something via Steam and trying to game... that's another story.

Comment

When I used to play WoW (taking a bit of a break), I would listen to my local radio station via the web at the same time. It's not quite the same as downloading a file, but it is constantly streaming data from an outside source. I never had any problems.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

probably depends on your connection speed

Comment

Yes and no. If your bandwidth is solid and the packetrate isn't too much, you can do whatever you want.

However, Steam won't download while you play, which is really rotten since I'd like to play Game A while Game B updates. Turds.

Comment

Give it a shot! If you lag in game, then it's affecting your gaming. Although, it should be ok.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Torrents yes. HTTP, no.
              Skud

Comment

I think Torrents would be no. Depending on what's being seeded and how many connections are used, it could be really taxing on a connection. Giving up a lot of upload bandwidth for Torrents can affect gaming.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Torrents are fine unless you have more than 5-7(depending on upload speeds). Http should be fine as well but may lag more.

Comment

I can't. I don't have enough bandwidth to go around for that.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've found that the biggest problem with "downloading" is not really the down, but the up.

When you're using a tool such as bittorrent where you're (hopefully) constantly UPLOADING data back out it tends to be much more detrimental to your ping/lag than just downloading. Most broadband providers give you a much faster down connection than they do up, so when you're using the upload it'll start to hurt you much faster than if you were, say, just downloading a flat file via port 80.

I can stream net radio (down) and play and only get about +50 to ping.
                      If I'm in a torrent it completely cripples me.

Comment

If you use some download manager, you can limit the speed so that it doesn't max out your connection, allowing you to play online games just fine.

Comment

Well yeah, most clients do let you throttle your upspeed, but that's bad and makes you a very inconsiderate copyright infringer.

:p

Comment

Bandwidth is the main limitation which will cause a problem while you are downloading. There are also other considerations such as memory use and disk I/O which could affect game performance. With most types of download, you can control the amount of your bandwidth which is taken up. Find the magic number which allows you to game without taking a performance hit and set it there.

I almost always just download stuff when the gaming is done.
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X