Case space?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case space?

How I would determine if a particular part would fit into my case? I have a Dell XPS (2005) and plan on upgrading the video card, power supply, etc in the future. I've heard conflicting information that the Dell cases can't be upgraded, can be upgraded, all parts will fit, some won't etc. It's all sort of confusing.

The case seems to have plenty of room for an upgrade but I'd rather not be in a position of ordering a part and finding out it won't fit. I'd rather not buy a new case if I can avoid it but if that is the only option than that's the route I would have to take.

Do manufactures list if their part will work with a particular case? How can I make that determination?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Case space?

Probably the easiest thing to do is open it up and making sure there is enough space behind the video card slot to accomodate some of the longer length cards - if that is what you are going to. Is it a full size XPS case, or the slim one they produce that was only about 4" thick?

Also look at the power supply label and take note of it's capabilities.

I've installed FireGL V7350's in Dell Precisions with no problems at all.. they might not be the longest card out there - but they are monsters.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
      Probably the easiest thing to do is open it up and making sure there is enough space behind the video card slot to accomodate some of the longer length cards - if that is what you are going to. Is it a full size XPS case, or the slim one they produce that was only about 4" thick?

Also look at the power supply label and take note of it's capabilities.

I've installed FireGL V7350's in Dell Precisions with no problems at all.. they might not be the longest card out there - but they are monsters.
      Thanks. The solid blue case - it has to be 25" - 28" high - 10" - 11" wide - 25" -27" long. I've never owned another case so I don't know if that is a small or large size. It seems to have alot of room - empty space if you will.
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Yeah, that is probably the standard tower case.

The only thing of concern inside is where the HD mounts are. If they come down into the area that a long video card would extend into, it could get tight. I haven't run into a case in that range though that would prevent the installation of the 14"(ish) long video cards though.
        sigpic

Comment

There aren't really any lists that say a particular part will fit in a particular case. What is usually given is case dimensions and number of mounts for parts. Open up the case and check if you got the mounting areas for extra parts. For video card, you'll have to check reviews since they sometimes mention the lengths of cards. Last I heard, the 8800GTS is 9" and the GTX is 11". Just measure for that length in your case starting from the back to the front where the HD's are typically mounted.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Best way to determine things for your situation: unpower, take out said part, measure it, find measurements online for the part you're seeking to buy, see how much room you have to play with. As for PSU, if you're case is a standard ATX, then you should be fine as long as you buy a standard ATX compatible PSU.

Comment

I wouldnt try pushing your luck too much on size, either. If it barely fits on paper, you might be in for a very nasty surprise.
              Skud

Comment

another thing to consider is most companies make their parts fit the case they make, meaning new parts wont fit for a reason. They want you to buy their parts and use their stuff. Dont buy anything until you are sure it will fit, returns are a pain especially for PC parts.

good luck
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

M'eh.. well I find little or no reason why you'ld be getting one of the GIANT cards.. if yu were thinking of it.. not such a good idea. The 8800GTX will fit - so for the modern cards you a pretty well set. If it's heavy workstation design.. maybe not- I imagine it isn't heavy workstation duty (the cards start at $1200 and go UP) you are considering.

I've had no problem inserting large, high-end cards into Dell standard tower cases. Not only that, but unless you are getting an older card, almost all are on the 11" board these days .
                  sigpic

Comment

How about upgrading a power supply? Does the same rule apply? I believe with some of the new video cards you need a larger power supply.
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Yep, they are made to a standard ATX format design and should fit neatly in the same space as your existing. Most come with adapters now to accomodate the two different socket configs on the mainboard. If the one you buy doesnt, you can get them for a few bucks from a computer supply place.

I'd check for that label on your existing P/S first though.. the XPS may have a suitable P/S in it - but that also depends on the Graphics card you opt for.
                      sigpic

Comment

Make sure your Dell XPS case doesn't use a proprietary PSU locking mechanism. Some of the older Dell Dimensions made use of a special PSU locking mechanism (instead of screws) that made fitting in a standard ATX PSU impossible without modification to the chassis.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Aye, I did take a pair of wire cutters to an old Dell PC case, but this is like a 7 year old case.

Comment

Still it is better to check first before you buy Andy.

I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 8200 sitting upstairs as a recording system and it still uses a Dell PSU lock. I found out I could only fit in sub-standard PSUs produced under generic brand names.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Go to best buy to try out the video card. They have a hansom return policy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X