Intel "Skulltrail" mainboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel "Skulltrail" mainboard

OK, something has finally caught my attention that looks like it is going to be fun to mess with -

Yes, there are two XEON sockets on that board - a board for enthusiasts (gamers). There are very little statistics about it in the article but it looks promising. It will probably make a strong attempt to separate me from a portion of this years bonus check.
    sigpic

Re: Intel "Skulltrail" mainboard

I'd wait, intel is going to be releasing a new socket soon with a built in memory controller and a few other awesome things (That they ripped from AMD), i heard somewhere about Skulltrail 2 using this new socket, so an enthusiast gamer like me will just wait for such.
    Oyee

Comment

A portion? How optimisitic.

* braces for impact of a subscription to the Jelly of the Month club.

Comment

I don't quite think gaming requires that much processing power unless you can back it up with some GPU power...

Does that bonus check have room for 8800GTX SLI? :p

- It's who you game with.

Comment

It looks more like a server board than a "gaming" board, even though I start to see a trend of putting server specs into gaming boards.

I have two questions:
          1) what is that highlighted yellow "thing"? DIMM sitting on the mobo? Or some new weirdo part?

and

2) Is this motherboard based on a new standard (like how BTX is "newer" than ATX)? I noticed how the memory is between the CPU sockets and that of the expansion slot sockets.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This, my friend, makes it worth every penny:D

Although processors are a bit pricey...

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Ah, so it is a DIMM of memory!
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, it's a new CL3 DDR3 (800?) card. The design looks ATX, but it is an engineering sample so it could still take any form upon release.

Skulltrail is slated to use the existing Xeon socket - but will have additional features available via a 'special' Xeon chip.. but can also use regular Xeon's.. thats not a bad idea at all.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  I don't quite think gaming requires that much processing power unless you can back it up with some GPU power...

Does that bonus check have room for 8800GTX SLI? :p
                  Already got one.. I'm ready for the next
                  sigpic

Comment

I know a few gamers who ran dual Thunderbird rigs back before dual-cores were even heard of by gamers. This was like 6-7 years ago when I was playing Starcraft still on a i850 onboard Intel graphics chipset.

P8triot, do you know what price range this dual-xeon setup might be slated for? (if it's cheap, I may consider it next year for a cheapy home server)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      P8triot, do you know what price range this dual-xeon setup might be slated for? (if it's cheap, I may consider it next year for a cheapy home server)
                      I think the one thing that is clear is that it's NOT going to be cheap.. I'm betting $450+ for the mainboard alone. Frankly, I think the mainboard has been under-rated - so $450+ for a mainboard that is fully capable and flexible is reasonable. SO, Intel basing their 'enthusiast' boards on the socket 771 / Xeon is intriguing.. the Xeon sockets change much less frequently than the Pentium series.

I hope it starts a trend that the Mainboard is more flexible in more areas. Intel would do well to develop a new architecture based on a new and capable mainboard.. and give me a board that can overclock Xeons and two sockets that I can have up to 8 processors (2 quad Xeons).. eventually.. games, apps, whatever.. are going to be flexible enough to utilize multiple processors in multiple 'bit-widths'.

Maybe I am just dreaming..
                      sigpic

Comment

Hmm interesting. I know a few game server hosting providers have already switched over from dual-xeon servers to dual quad-core opterons.

It'll be interesting to see this come to a gaming rig near you (or us). I only wonder when games will catch up to the multi-core performance our computers now have. (It's interesting from the design perspective though)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Would this be suitable for serving large files? Like, say.. all of the music any musician releases from today on? Can it be used in a blade configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            I know a few gamers who ran dual Thunderbird rigs back before dual-cores were even heard of by gamers. This was like 6-7 years ago when I was playing Starcraft still on a i850 onboard Intel graphics chipset.

When you upgrade use your old (current) rig as a home server, silly! :p Unless you're giving those parts to someone, you should use it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Tri-SLi FTW!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed