Hardware firewall enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware firewall enough?

Ok, I have used Zone Alarm, Zone Alarm Pro and Comodo Personal Firewall in the past but I find both to be rather annoying/intrusive after a while. I hate constantly getting popups, program so an so wants access. In addiiton I don't like them sitting there eating cpu time and memory.

Is running a router sufficient protection for day to day use. I use this pc primarily to play games and surf my regular websites. I also enjoy downloading the odd torrent here and there. So I feel fairly confident in what I do on my pc (and am computer savvy).

Just wanted to see the opinions of the people here. Also any other firewalls then the two I mentioned you feel I should give a try to restore my respect for software firewalls.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Hardware firewall enough?

That would depend on the quality of the router. But no matter what, the router is going to expose/forward ports that any dunderhead bit of code your computer runs asks to open. And if we look at recent times, most of the automated attacks (worms) work by finding open ports and exploiting a flaw in the code that opened it.

I run Kerio and I run it because I'm equally concerned with what my computer wants to run and what ports it thinks it needs to open than whatever silly junk some AOL user is helping spread about. Yes, the pop-up notifications can be taxing, but with the exception of The GIMP, which apparently is comprised of over 9000 satellite routines inside discrete executables I generally don't find needing to Alt-tab a new game or babysit a software install that big of a deal.

Comment

If your firewall has the ability to "mask" your network behind a VPN (virtual private network) as well as use SPI (state packet inspection) filtering, then you'd be about as safe as if you had an additional software firewall on each PC.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        If your firewall has the ability to "mask" your network behind a VPN (virtual private network) as well as use SPI (state packet inspection) filtering, then you'd be about as safe as if you had an additional software firewall on each PC.
        What?
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          What?
          Okay, so that probably didn't make any sense. I'll let someone else explain it then, but all I know is that one should be pretty safe behind a VPN network and a network SPI firewall.

:row1_1:
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Okay, so that probably didn't make any sense. I'll let someone else explain it then, but all I know is that one should be pretty safe behind a VPN network and a network SPI firewall.

:row1_1:
            A VPN is a private encrypted tunnel used to connect two endpoints together. When I'm on the road for work and I need to copy files and data back and forth from my laptop to the office I use a VPN connection to do that so the data isn't in clear text out on the open internet.

A firewall is always good. Most firewalls these days do stateful packet inspection, but the whole "SPI" logo/sticker/branding on the box has caught on a little more. It's somewhat like the advertising on the side of a cheap power supply that says "Internet Compatible!".
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

yeah, but how do you tell if a powersupply is Y3K compliant?

Comment

Wait 93 years.

Comment

I like my cisco router, $$ but worth it.

quote " It's somewhat like the advertising on the side of a cheap power supply that says "Internet Compatible!". " unquote LMAO :D Sir..

quote "yeah, but how do you tell if a powersupply is Y3K compliant?" unquote Ya shouldn't worry about that, ya not going to be around then to have to worry about it :)
                  {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

A Watchguard Firebox X10e should do the trick. It'd pretty much cover all your bases and then some.

;)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                      It's somewhat like the advertising on the side of a cheap power supply that says "Internet Compatible!".
                      :row__642:

Or how about the power-strip / "surge protector" from WalMart that says the same!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                        A Watchguard Firebox X10e should do the trick. It'd pretty much cover all your bases and then some.

;)
                        And it'll set you back a couple hundred bucks.

Here's my high-tech solution:
                        1. Linksys router with SPI firewall (or netgear, D-Link, whatever).
                        2. Windows Firewall
                        3. Firefox with pop-up blocker.
                        4. AVG Anti-Virus (been doing some research. Probably going to find a better free AV solution in the near future).

Most important one:
                        5. Don't download stupid stuff, don't click links my friends send me unless they are from reputable sources, and generally just use common sense.

Every spyware scan I do brings up nothing but tracker bugs (not much to be done about those) and I haven't had a virus since the NYB boot-sector virus my electronics teacher gave me with an infected floppy disk.

For the record: Zonealarm isn't just a firewall. A firewall does not inform you of anything. It's just takes a packet of data, compares the IP and port to a list of rules you have specified, then says "yes/no" based upon the criteria. It's is a completely stupid and passive security device.

Zonealarm is an anti-stupidity device. It basically says: "Are you SURE you want to download and install "'infect my pc.exe?'" I'm not saying anyone is stupid for using it (far from it), but as long as you keep your copy of windows updated, your browser updated, and generally use common sense: you don't even need it. It takes an active role in your PC security by making sure you should be doing what you're doing.

Comment

Generally I install extra software to add extra security for when anyone but me uses my computer :D.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                            And it'll set you back a couple hundred bucks.
                            Sure will!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                              Generally I install extra software to add extra security for when anyone but me uses my computer :D.
                              If I even let other users have access to my PC (I don't, I have a laptop for such things), I would set the up as a restricted user and may even go so far as to edit the local security policy to further restrict their access.

Besides, even if you have zonealarm installed, a user with admin access could still decide he/she doesn't care about you computer integrity and load the files anyways.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X