MP3 Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 Player

Hey all. I'm thinking about getting a new mp3 player. I was thinking something in the $50-100 range that has a decent screen, can play vids, & display photos, around the 1-2gb range. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, can all of these mp3 players out there use itunes or is itunes proprietary? I have a 1st generation ipod mini and it's about time to switch it up. Thanks.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: MP3 Player

for that price, video is going to be hard, but if you go on ebay and search for ipod nano, you will get a bunch of knockoffs that play mp4's. these look like, and have the same size as, the ipod nano, but play video and have a slightly larger screen. if you are patient, you can get on for your price range.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Actually, if you can still find one, a Samsung YP-T9 isn't a bad deal. I picked one up at Best Buy a month and a half ago for $90 for 2GB. It's a 1.8" screen like most smaller MP3 players but it's a very good quality screen. It supports FM/FM Recording and pictures in addition to music and videos. The T10 is the new version but it's a bit pricer (it just came out in the last couple weeks) and I haven't heard it really offers much over the T9 right now.

The audio and build quality on the T9 is superb and it's actually not bad for viewing videos. The screen is a bit on the small side for viewing video but because of the high quality of the screen itself it's actually pretty easy on the eyes. Believe it or not I got into Heroes before it started back up this fall and actually loaded up season 1, 4 episodes at a time and watched all of them on my T9.

Here's a representative review of the T9:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...pt9-review.php

Comment

If you want syncing with iTunes, it has to be an iPod. Are you talking about tagging and organizing support similar to iTunes? MP3 players either support folder based organization or ID3 tag organization. ID3 tags are how iPods organize music and I like this method. It's painless to organize your music when it's been tagged correctly. I'd rather not have to fool around with making and tagging folders. Although, some prefer having that power.

Definitely increase your budget. I don't even think $50 can get you a player that can play videos. Even $100 is a bit cheap and I wouldn't want to go the iPod knockoff route. Check out the Cowon players. I've heard the Cowon D2 is really good. It's small, plays videos and the 4GB (smallest size) costs about $150.

I do like the iPods though. They look nice and are easy to use. ITunes is great to use since it has all the features I would want built in. Still, an iPod Nano is $150 from the Apple store so bump up that budget.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If you only want 1 to 2 GB, I recommend getting a new mobile phone that has a built in music player, and a 2 GB microSD card (which runs less than $30 on newegg). I prefer doing this because it lets me just carry one device for both tasks. I can also watch videos on it (though I do have to convert them first-- ask me about this if you want more info). Also, you can listen to the music with wireless Bluetooth headphones. You can also listen to it through the speaker without needed headphones.

If you do this, just make sure that the phone has a 3.5 mm headphone jack (mini) and not the 2.5 mm headset jack.

I have the Motorola RIZR Z6tv for Verizon. I'm happy with it. It's not the BEST thing out there for music, but it does the job well.

Comment

Here's the one I've been looking at getting for Christmas (yes over my computer parts): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855102033

Features I like:
            2.5" color LCD screen (better quality than that of the iPod classic)
            SD expansion card (supports up to 8GB cards, mini, micro, and standard SD)
            4GB on board flash memory
            Plays videos and works with iTunes (just not very well if you're using a Mac, or so I've heard)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

if you are going the phone route, the new moto Q2 will take a mini-SD up to 32 gigs, and runs WM6, so it easily plays video on a very decent size screen. I have the original Q and LOVE it. I will be upgrading to the q2 when my contract is up...

and btw, with the right compression, you can put 10 hours video on 2 gigs and still really enjoy the quality. I got all 10 hrs of band of brothers on a 2 gig card, and the quality is good enough that I wouldn't even mind watching it on my laptop.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's been a long time since I've been in the market for one of the these and the technology & functionality has changed a good deal in the last few years. I'll shop around and see what I come up w/. For now, the runner's up are:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/clix/ - I think I saw new ones of these going on ebay for ~$120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855102033 (Thanks Acreo Arenas!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855125013

If anyone has one of these let me know what your opinion is. Thanks.
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

The Sandisk player looks cheap as hell but its a great MP3 player. I'd take one over an Ipod Nano any day of the week. (mainly just begause I hate Realplayer... I mean Itunes.
                  sigpic

Comment

You don't have to use Itunes if you have an Ipod. I know there are a couple of Itunes alternatives out there. Just google for them. But seriously, what's wrong with Itunes?

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's been a long time since I've been in the market for one of the these and the technology & functionality has changed a good deal in the last few years. I'll shop around and see what I come up w/. For now, the runner's up are:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/clix/ - I think I saw new ones of these going on ebay for ~$120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855102033 (Thanks Acreo Arenas!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855125013

If anyone has one of these let me know what your opinion is. Thanks.
                      He gave me a Russian-ized name! :row__642:

You're very welcome and I hope you find one you like. :D

Zomg! That 2G Clix looks nice. Now I wish I had waited before I bought my 1G nano.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i have a san disk player. Its good but i have had to replace it under warranty once. But the replaceable battery is an up.
                        Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

If you're fast enough, Woot.com has this today:

condition:
                          Refurbished
                          product(s):
                          1 SanDisk Sansa e250 2GB Media Player SDMX4-2048

$29.99 + $5 shipping
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Evidently, they've got a LOT of those Sandisk players, as I just ordered two of them.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              If you're fast enough, Woot.com has this today:

condition:
                              Refurbished
                              product(s):
                              1 SanDisk Sansa e250 2GB Media Player SDMX4-2048

$29.99 + $5 shipping
                              Excellent find! Saved me much christmass shopping. Thank you!:icon14:

Allowed me to buy three of them.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X