new system, couple of questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new system, couple of questions...

OK, got my new system in yesterday and set it up today... but a couple of questions if anyone knows one or all of them...

1. I've installed FRAPS (the new system is a Windows Vista 32 bit system), I like FRAPS to start up on boot up and run in background, since I always use it... but when Vista boots up it says that some auto start programs can't start because they need permission... so i then have to allow FRAPS to run, I don't see any options to make it always allowed to run... any idea on this one?

2. I have a dual monitor set up (SWEET), my primary monitor is 1600x1200x32 my secondary is widescreen at 1680x1050x32... it works, there NOT cloned I can move the mouse from one to the other...where I have teamspeak and stuff like that running, but the background mirrors the primary on the widescreen and distorts the image, not a big deal but still... how can I set up the second monitor with it's own background, theme etc ect... it always mirrors the primary in the nvidia settings panel.

3. and finally the main question... I have ALWAYS formatted a new system as soon as i verified it was working... real easy, but this new system comes in a SATA RAID 0 w/ Dual 160 GB hard drives, that looks at both drives as one drive... I read once that formatting RAID 0 drives are different and harder, so how do you do it?

Also, in my old system I have 2 250 GB hard drives, any reason why I wouldn't want to put them in my new machine as additional drives?

4. I have 4 sticks of DDR2 RAM at 1000 each, thats 4000 DDR2 ram... but when Vista starts and gives you that system info, it only says I have 3000 of RAM... is a stick bad then or what?

5. and finally, my old system is still a pretty kick ass system, My daughter wants a new PC, but she only uses it for internet and chatting, think I should sell the old box to a gamer who would use and appreciate it, or just keep it and let the daughter have it... just can't decide on that one, lol.

thx for any info.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: new system, couple of questions...

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post

Also, in my old system I have 2 250 GB hard drives, any reason why I wouldn't want to put them in my new machine as additional drives?

5. and finally, my old system is still a pretty kick ass system, My daughter wants a new PC, but she only uses it for internet and chatting, think I should sell the old box to a gamer who would use and appreciate it, or just keep it and let the daughter have it... just can't decide on that one, lol.

thx for any info.
    only going to respond to these two...

1. I would suggest using them with HDD caddies, little slots you can screw your HDD to and swap them in when you need them. I think they'd be good for running alternat OS' if you need, or Backups.

2. Post the specs, of course :)

You'd be best trying to sell each part individually.
    Skud

Comment

For question 1)

You can turn off UAC (User Account Control) to disable asking permission to executables, but it disables it for everything. You can try this site explains a lot about the UAC.

For question 4)

32 bit operating systems can't access all of 4GB of RAM. The higher memory spaced is taken up by your video card memory, so if you have a 8800GTX you'll see about 3-3.2GB of accessible RAM. Get Vista 64bit to access all 4GB (if you bought Vista retail, you can order the 64bit DVD off the Microsoft website for like $20).

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
        4. I have 4 sticks of DDR2 RAM at 1000 each, thats 4000 DDR2 ram... but when Vista starts and gives you that system info, it only says I have 3000 of RAM... is a stick bad then or what?
        Nope, its a limitation of the 32 bit operating system. You would see the same thing if you installed xp32. You may be able to eek out a little more memory if you disable any unused hardware in your system, but the only way to have all 4 gig available is to use a 64 bit os.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
          32 bit operating systems can't access all of 4GB of RAM. The higher memory spaced is taken up by your video card memory, so if you have a 8800GTX you'll see about 3-3.2GB of accessible RAM. Get Vista 64bit to access all 4GB (if you bought Vista retail, you can order the 64bit DVD off the Microsoft website for like $20).
          you must type faster than me. :)

Here is the page to order the 64 bit version:
          http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

i just did this. it costs $9.95 + tax.

Comment

Thx
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Hey Magnum, I got a new system too and went with 64 bit Vista. Only 2GB RAM right now, but I'm planning on putting in another 2GB when I get a chance. I went with the new 8800GT, which video card did you get?

Comment

Same 8800GT...
                Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Magnum, don't miss this page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows..._hotfixes.html

It's linked from the nvidia beta driver page.

Comment

You'll need Ultramon for separate backgrounds for each monitor. http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

For the harddrives you could keep them separate when you do the reformat. It's not really worth the risk with RAID 0. If it's motherboard RAID, you could have issues if the mobo dies since the RAID controlled is required to reuse the HD array. It's simpler to use the drives regularly and you won't really be missing any performance other than load times.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X