Faster Broadband or new router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Broadband or new router

Currently our BB provider is homecall, and out connection is the 512k one shown on this page http://www.homecallbroadband.co.uk/howfastis8mb.aspx. We use a linksys SRX200 as a router and various belkin wireless adapters. Which part should I upgrade to get teh best performance?
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Re: Faster Broadband or new router

I would opt for a faster connection instead of a router upgrade. More bandwidth and faster downloads is always nice. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Faster connection!

I don't really download big files often but when I do it's awesome. My ISP has been upgrading speeds for free. It's great grabbing a linux distro in several minutes. It probably takes longer for me to load a burning program and burn the disc image than to download it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by alexandermottram View Post
        Currently our BB provider is homecall, and out connection is the 512k one shown on this page http://www.homecallbroadband.co.uk/howfastis8mb.aspx. We use a linksys SRX200 as a router and various belkin wireless adapters. Which part should I upgrade to get teh best performance?
        Are you trying to solve a particular problem by upgrading?

Comment

Just a slowish connection in general, sometimes downloading takes ages, especially loaidng some videos. Also I was hoping it would decrease the lag i get in arma.
          Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by alexandermottram View Post
            Just a slowish connection in general, sometimes downloading takes ages, especially loaidng some videos. Also I was hoping it would decrease the lag i get in arma.

A faster connection would help with the downloads, but don't expect it to improve the lag in games.
            Games dont send a lot of data, its the timing of the data that's important. You may be able to improve the lag by replacing the wireless stuff with good old cat5e. maybe.

Comment

A higher bandwidth connection may help with lag but it could just be the distance to the gaming server. It's almost the other side of the world from where you are to where the server is located. A faster connection would definitely be better. I've download files on my laptop using my wireless network and it's still fast. I've even played BF2 without a problem.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X