Windows Home Server (WHS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Home Server (WHS)

I was wondering what people think about this.

In the beginning I was dubious. What is the point? Especially for me. I already have a installation of windows server 2003. And if I don't want to pay for something I could always just go Linux.

Also in the beginning it sounded like it would be locked down or developing for it would be difficult. Not so. If you .Net development you can develop for home server.

A good post but Some highlights.

No RAID. But multiple drives are "mushed" together into one big drive. One drive fails no data is lost. Replace it and go on you merry way. Need more space add another or swap in a bigger drive. It is mushed so much that there isn't even a drive letter. Some kinda magic.

Every PC on the network is backed up automatically. If I understand it correctly you can restore the entire pc from that backup (including OS/registry and applications). To make this feasible with a moderate amount of disk space WHS only save differences of ALL files. What I mean by that is if you have, say, BattleField 2 and WOW installed on multiple computers it only backs up one "set" of WOW (plus any differences between the installs).

It works across xbox, xp, vista and mobile devices. What I don't know is if you have a laptop for work and you bring it home will it be allowed? I do know that each PC in the network will be associated with one, and only one, WHS.

It is designed to be headless. No cd/monitor/keyboard/mouse needed. (Though I think they will be supported.) The HP server has only a power cord, usb ports and an Ethernet connection. The HP also has hot swappable hard drives! (The HP is about $600.)

You will be able to buy the software only and install it on your own hardware.

It will be accessible from the outside. I saw a demo serving up web pages. You can also access the networked PCs from the outside.

There is a small client for your PCs.

I am actually pretty excited and am putting off upgrading my game PC to get one.
    I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Windows Home Server (WHS)

I saw the HP home server on amazon.
    It look interesting. Wonder if you can run applications on it? And access them locally and via RDP?
    The upgrade path look suspicious: can you slide in any ATA/SATA drive? Or do you have to use HPs 'drive bays' (and buy the drives from them)?

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
      I saw the HP home server on amazon.
      It look interesting. Wonder if you can run applications on it? And access them locally and via RDP?
      The upgrade path look suspicious: can you slide in any ATA/SATA drive? Or do you have to use HPs 'drive bays' (and buy the drives from them)?

You can run "server" applications on the it but it is not a cytrix type server so no to your first question.

Here is a video going over basic development for it. *Edit You CAN run client/server apps or web type apps that can be accessed anywhere over the internet.

It doesn't require any special drives. As far as I know you can put any drive size you want into the server.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The backup scheme sounds similar to that you can get from the Linux-based BackupPC app.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          The backup scheme sounds similar to that you can get from the Linux-based BackupPC app.
          I realize that WHS doesn't offer any single thing that is brand new or can't be found someplace else.

What is cool is that it is a solution to a set of fairly very common problems and it appears, from the reviews I have read, it is pretty darn easy to use.

Comment

Will this displace SBS? I can think of a client that would probably be better served with this than a full Win 2003 server, which is really beyond their ability to self-maintain.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Will this displace SBS? I can think of a client that would probably be better served with this than a full Win 2003 server, which is really beyond their ability to self-maintain.

I thought about that. And it was brought up in a blog or two.

I think the answer is maybe. For very small offices that are completely self contained and don't interact with a corporate office I don't see why not. If the users work pretty much isolated from everybody else and simply need the backup and some basic sharing it would be fine I would guess.

Of course SBS (Small Business Server) offers much more in the way of security and user settings. WHS is weak in setting up permissions from what I have read. Mainly because domains/Active Directory is not really a part of WHS. Plus SBS can get Share Point server, Exchange, Sql Server up and running (and if I remember right limited versions of those servers come with SBS.)

Another thing is each home computer is a part of one WHS network. Although some have talked about linking WHS computers.

But if I had a small office with me and a co-worker or two I would definitely look into it.

Comment

I was in on the beta testing, its basicly and dumbed down 2003 OS. I built a new box just to to the testing, that was a interesting experence, I enjoyed it.
                I got a free RTM copy for it.
                Mines in my closest collecting dust.
                No it's not for sale.
                {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Originally posted by sgt fetterman View Post
                  I was in on the beta testing, its basicly and dumbed down 2003 OS. I built a new box just to to the testing, that was a interesting experence, I enjoyed it.
                  I got a free RTM copy for it.
                  Mines in my closest collecting dust.
                  No it's not for sale.
                  If I may be so bold... Why don't you use it?

Comment

When I installed 2003 for my client, I made the mistake of thinking it had the same out-of-the-box power of the Linux systems I was familiar with, but with an easier GUI for managing it. Then I found that all the things I was used to are extra-cost items. I would have been better off throwing Linux on a cheap white box. (RRAS, for example, is pretty lean compared to iptables. I should have just used the routing in the little Netgear router instead of running everyone through RRAS.)

This sounds like it would be a better match for their needs, without all the complexity of domains. All they really need is simple file sharing and backup, and regular 2003 makes that too complex for the average SOHO PHB.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X