AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4600+
    550 PSU
    ASUS ASN-E - Nforce 4 PCI Express - ATX (A8n-E) 2.XX
    Motherboard version
    2048MB DDR400 - PC3200 (2 x 1024)
    4 Slots 1Gb, empty, 1GB, empty
    300 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16 MB Buffer
    Geforce 8800 GTS o/c 320 MB at 580 MHZ Core Clock, 1700 MHZ mem clock

I am looking at upgrading to more RAM as a cheap upgrade and need advice as to how to go about it.

Do I need to change to DDR 2 and is it possible with my current config?
    If so how do I go about it?
    If I stay with DDR400 can anyone suggest a compatible supplier for the RAM?
    Will it make much difference in performance?
    Is there anything else I need to upgrade?
    Is the process relatively straightforward and painless?

Sorry for the basic level of these questions but I'm clueless with these things!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: RAM upgrade

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...15&l3=171&l4=0

Thats your mobo spec sheet.

You're stuck with DDR 400, as far as I can tell. Kind of confusing... didn't realize they made dual core boards with old ddr.

As far as compatibility... just about any ram will work as long as its DDR400. If you were going for performance with overclocking, you'd want them all to match, in which case we'd need to know what you have in there now. I don't think you're headed that way. Just check newegg for a decent priced 2gig pair and add it.

Very easy to do, ram just snaps into the board and voila. If you didnt do it right, you'll know right away when your comp doesnt turn on.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

2 gigs of ram should be plenty, only upgrade it if you are using a 64bit OS. Other wise you are just throwing money at it for nothing. That system should be able to handle most apps/games being released in todays market.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

A better but more expensive upgrade would be moving to a processor and motherboard that uses DDR2. Check out AMD's AM2 processors. They're cheap and a CPU upgrade would help you out more than 4GB of RAM.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

You'd really only need 4 GBs of RAM if you are a heavy multitasker and tend to multitask with heavy resource applications (multitabbed brower, photoshop, dv movie editer, compilers, etc.)

Originally posted by Switch
          As far as compatibility... just about any ram will work as long as its DDR400.
          This isn't true for ASUS. Your best bet is to go with the suggested make and model of RAM from their "compatible memory" list in your motherboard manual. If you can't find any of the listed model RAM, then your second best bet is to get the "value" line memory from Corsair or Kingston.

You can only use up to DDR400 RAM. Your board can't use DDR2 memory.

Switch, there are a lot of dual-core boards with DDR1 memory. I'm running a dual-core Pen. D. with DDR400.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

And be aware that a lot of socket 939 boards have problems when all 4 slots are filled. You may not be able to run the ram at ddr400 speeds and or at a 1t command rate.

Being able to 'see' 4 gigs of ram is also an issue with 32 bit operating systems. For example on my board (asus a8n) the motherboard downclocks the ram to 333 and XP32 only recognises 2.75 gigs.

(Vista 64 does see all 4 gigs and I am able to manually change the memory speed past ddr400 speeds -- but if you don;t like messing about in your bios, then dont bother with the upgrade)

Comment

I'm still running on a single core P4... the thought of newer mobos running old ram just seems backwards. Didn't realize they made many that way.
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.McFeelme View Post
                For example on my board (asus a8n) the motherboard downclocks the ram to 333 and XP32 only recognises 2.75 gigs.
                That's not uncommon. Most "transitionary" boards (or what I call them) tend to use older chipsets and these chipsets are being made compatible to use new hardware, but may not have been designed originally to take full advantage of the new hardware. For example, my ASUS board runs on the 865G chipset and was originally designed for single core processors up to 800 FSB. ASUS pushes that envelope with a BIOS upgrade that lets one use a Pentium D/Core 2 Duo dual-core chip. In doing so, the board (or you) overclocks the bus speed to 1066 mhz. Since the chipset can only handle DDR1 RAM (and several other things I don't really understand), the board downclocks the memory from 400 to 333 (effective).

Originally posted by Switch
                I'm still running on a single core P4... the thought of newer mobos running old ram just seems backwards. Didn't realize they made many that way.
                Yep, the market hadn't (and still hasn't) completely migrated over to dual-cores and many are still running older components (single-cores, DDR1, etc.). It allows them to keep some satisfied until they can completely switch over.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X