X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 reasons not to get vista

10 reasons not to get vista

1. You don't actually need it --

No, think about this. Vista doesn't do anything you can't already do with XP. About the only significant shift requiring Vista is DirextX10, but as no titles support it yet and, according to John Carmack (the godfather of modern gaming) there's no need to yet either.

2. Cost $$ --

It's so blindingly obvious, most people will be blinded to it. You already have XP, and alternatives like Linux are free. If you really want to throw money away, go give it to a local charity.

3. On that note, it's outrageously overpriced --

at least in Australia. As revealed in the current APC, even after taking into account the profit margin Microsoft Australia previously applied to XP (as well as exchange rates, as you would expect), Australians are paying hundreds of dollars more for their copies than in the US. In fact, it's cheaper for Australians to buy Vista direct by mail order from the States. If you think Microsoft Australia is reaming us, vote with your wallet.

4. Upgrading hardware --

XP was demanding at release, but Vista more so. If you have an older machine that struggles with XP at the best of times, Vista is out of your ballpark unless you spend even more money to upgrade. If this is you, see point 1.

5. Driver support --

Key hardware like video and sound is crippled at the moment -- while Nvidia is working furiously to get a stable driver for the 8800 out by the 30th, there's still no SLI support for any of the Nvidia range. And thanks to the removal of hardware accelerated 3D sound in Vista, Creative's popular DirectSound based EAX no longer works at all, muting this feature for just about all gaming titles on the market today. Creative is in the process of coding a layer for its drivers to translate EAX calls to the OpenAL API which is seperate from Vista, but going by past experience with Creative drivers we won't see these any time soon.

6. Applications that don't work --

there's been plenty of coverage about applications that won't work without a vendor update. These include anti-virus, backup and security software such as those from Symantec, Sophos and ilk; CD and DVD burning tools like the suite from Nero need updated versions to work; and even basic disk management and partitioning tools such as Paragon's Hard Disk Manager are awaiting an update for Vista to be compatible. How many more will fail as Vista enters mainstream? Even Firefox has issues with Vista.

7. It's a big fat target --

with a new and untested in the global wild architecture, virus and malware authors are going to work overtime exploiting the holes Microsoft missed. In fact it's already happening. Loath though I am to use the word 'security' and 'Windows' in the same sentence, Windows XP has at least been patched to the hilt and can be used with a plethora of reasonably effective security tools that work now, without waiting for an update down the track.

8. UAC --

Oh yes, the Microsoft solution for an operating system where mutli-user was an afterthought. Sure, you can disable it, but the OS then makes it clear then that the onus is on the user for any damaging programs that got to run with permissions, rather than with Windows in the first place. If you do have it on, it is going to annoy the hell out of you. It pops up far too frequently, and even on a fast PC, the UAC screen takes too long to come up and disappear.

9. DRM --

And to a lesser degree TPM -- were made for the RIAAs and MPAAs of this world, and the even tighter integration of copy protection mechanisms and 'Windows Rights Management' into vista are nothing more than a liability to you, the user. This ComputerWorld piece says is succinctly: 'it's hard to sing the praises of technology designed to make life harder for its users.' As for TPM, this short animated video shows just how far the rabbit hole goes. And to think you pay for the privilege of having the use of media you purchased and own dictated by third parties, even on your own system.

10. The draconian license --

somehow, Microsoft has forgotten that it built its business from products that empowered its customers, not hampered them. Of course, we forget that Microsoft's customers aren't you and I, afterall (see point 9). Aside from the backward thinking that is licensing, and not actually owning, your software new terms with Vista include being able to transfer the license only once; half the limit compared to XP for Home Basic and Premium on how many machines can connect to yours for sharing, printing and accessing the Internet; limits on the number of devices that can use Vista's Media Center features; activation and validation governing your ability to upgrade hardware and use Windows itself; and outlawing the use of Home Basic and Premium with virtualisation software, and Ultimate only if DRM enabled content and applications aren't used. But then again, who reads these anyway?
    sigpic

Re: 10 reasons not to get vista

This is mostly FUD. Maybe upgrading on an older machine isn't good idea. If it ain't broke and all that. But for a new PC? Most the driver issues have been worked out and the DRM stuff is mainly nonesense.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

What's the point of copying and pasting a really old and crappy article that doesn't apply to Vista today (and not even supply the source)? Point 9 and 10 never applied to Vista, they were prerelease rumours.

Worst copying and pasting I have seen.

Comment

Indeed, this is largely out of date. I still don't see a significant reason TOO upgrade to Vista however. Point #1 is still true.
        I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Daxx View Post
          Indeed, this is largely out of date. I still don't see a significant reason TOO upgrade to Vista however. Point #1 is still true.
          Depends if you don't have XP and don't want to go through the excruciating pain that is Linux. Vista is the best option depending on your computer.

If you are building a new computer then there is no reason not to get Vista.

Comment

True. If I were to build an entirely new PC, I'd use Vista.
            I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

WOW.. that is OLD. That was easily written some time before release - a year or more?

I find Vista (even Vista 64) quite pleasant to work with. What doesn't work.. really doesn't even need to work anymore, so I don't really miss anything that I had on XP.
              sigpic

Comment

If you are building a new computer then there is no reason not to get Vista.
                Yes there is, I love xp! Yes vista is slowly getting polished, but I really don't want to deal with OS issues (no matter how insignificant) and with xp I have none to cry about. Having said that I plan to buy vista sometime next year, I am by no means in a hurry to get it. Its primarily a gaming pc, and I haven't seen any dx10 goodies thus far that really want to make me switch.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Copy Pasta.
                  Skud

Comment

I was wondering why most of those points didn't make much sense...

This is more of Hitman's random article posts without any opinion of his own. It's nice to have article posts but adding an opinion to it to kick off a discussion would be nice.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Perhaps it's just me, but why in goodness did you post this?

As many before (and above) me have said, most of that is crap. Perhaps if you took the time to actually try out the OS and play around with it before you post something like this, we might have better commentary for you.

I have Basic on the system next to me and I have to say, it is more stable than XP. It might load a little slower, but a lot of programs that I had (and still do) problems running on XP runs without a hitch on Vista.

As for driver support, that isn't a reason not to get Vista. It's not Microsoft's fault for unstable drivers. nVidia and AMD (they bought ATI...duh!) are responsible for coding stable drivers for their hardware.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo: Good point about the drivers. I do like that the new MS certified driver system means the company has provided 64-bit drivers as well. In a few years, there will be mature drivers for lots of hardware.

Comment

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp

Another barrel of laughs.
                          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                            Acreo: Good point about the drivers. I do like that the new MS certified driver system means the company has provided 64-bit drivers as well. In a few years, there will be mature drivers for lots of hardware.
                            64-bit? Wow. I thought they were a bit a ways away from 64-bit generic drivers.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              64-bit? Wow. I thought they were a bit a ways away from 64-bit generic drivers.
                              I'm pretty sure that to get MS certification requires a 64-bit driver as well as 32-bit. Don't quote me on that. :p

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X