Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple better then PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apple better then PC?

    I've noticed Apple computers have gotten quite popular lately, alot of apple stores opening... what is it with the apples?

    Are they better then a PC? Why?

    Safer?

    Easier?

    Will they work on a wireless network?

    Cheaper then PC's?

    I ask because i have 2 kids who only surf online, myspace, chat ect ect... download music, steal music, lol, transfer to ipod.... would imacs or ibooks be better for them? they never game.

    thx
    Magnum |TG-18th|


    We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.


  • #2
    Re: Apple better then PC?

    Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
    I've noticed Apple computers have gotten quite popular lately, alot of apple stores opening... what is it with the apples?

    Are they better then a PC? Why?

    Safer?

    Easier?

    Will they work on a wireless network?

    Cheaper then PC's?

    I ask because i have 2 kids who only surf online, myspace, chat ect ect... download music, steal music, lol, transfer to ipod.... would imacs or ibooks be better for them? they never game.

    thx
    Apple Computers are good, for certain things. Design and Photo editing they excel at, but out side that world they arent anything special. They really cant do anything a PC cant. All the stuff you just listed can be done on a laptop/pc for half the cost of an apple. It would work on your network no problem.

    Just depends on if you wanna spend 2k on a apple when 700 on a pc will get the job done.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Apple better then PC?

      better then PC? IMO no

      Safer--------im going to say doubt it. Apples are much less used then PC's why would someone want to hurt a few mac users when they could hurt a few million PC users?

      Easier...........Argueable. I find the MAC OS to be as easy to use as windows. i think it matters what you use most. personally i prefer windows Operating system because i've used it since 3.1 MAC OSX is pretty easy to use though.

      CHeaper- No, Apple sells their computers considerably more pricey then a given PC with the same hardware. you pay for the OS not the PC

      in my opinion Apple doesnt make good computers. Apple has never shined that bright untill they released their Ipod's and the Iphone. I own an Iphone, its the coolest thing i've ever owned honestly. other then that though PC ftw

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Apple better then PC?

        Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
        better then PC? IMO no

        Safer--------im going to say doubt it. Apples are much less used then PC's why would someone want to hurt a few mac users when they could hurt a few million PC users?

        Easier...........Argueable. I find the MAC OS to be as easy to use as windows. i think it matters what you use most. personally i prefer windows Operating system because i've used it since 3.1 MAC OSX is pretty easy to use though.

        CHeaper- No, Apple sells their computers considerably more pricey then a given PC with the same hardware. you pay for the OS not the PC

        in my opinion Apple doesnt make good computers. Apple has never shined that bright untill they released their Ipod's and the Iphone. I own an Iphone, its the coolest thing i've ever owned honestly. other then that though PC ftw
        I disagree with your opinion on safer. Unix is inherently safer. Apples have caught up with PCs in numbers over the last few years. All the bells and whistles the apples have sells them.

        Gotta remember to, most of windows features came from apple. Word? thats apple, gates took it.



        I need to point bommando up here, i know he uses MACs heavily
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Apple better then PC?

          I don't believe that the Apple numbers are equal to that of PC's. I have seen Apple as high as 7%, but not 50.

          Lucky Shot

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Apple better then PC?

            I've read comparisons of Macs to PCs that concluded that once the included software is factored in they are quite comparable in price. And with Intel providing the CPU, I understand Windows and all of the programs it supports can be run. The question for me then becomes about performance. Does anyone here game on a Mac?
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Apple better then PC?

              wow and COD2 are about your only real MAC games. id say apple holds more then 7% of the college market, id venture to say close to 25%. You can run windows on the imac, but then you have to purchase a new os. I had a roommate who used boot camp and never used the mac OS.


              One thing about a MAC is its not as easily upgraded.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Apple better then PC?

                Originally posted by Melee View Post
                I've read comparisons of Macs to PCs that concluded that once the included software is factored in they are quite comparable in price. And with Intel providing the CPU, I understand Windows and all of the programs it supports can be run. The question for me then becomes about performance. Does anyone here game on a Mac?
                There have been a couple of LAN parties at school. My friend ran the last one and said a few Mac users showed up. They played Starcraft... except for the one person that had Bootcamp installed.

                PC gaming is pretty much a Windows world. You can play games on the other OS's but it'll be a lot easier to deal with problems on a platform that a game was designed for. Adding emulation/virtualization to get a game running on top of the regular PC gaming problems is not a good idea.

                - It's who you game with.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Apple better then PC?

                  Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  PC gaming is pretty much a Windows world. You can play games on the other OS's but it'll be a lot easier to deal with problems on a platform that a game was designed for. Adding emulation/virtualization to get a game running on top of the regular PC gaming problems is not a good idea.
                  That's what I figured and why I have no plans to switch. I was just curious if it was successful for anyone.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Apple better then PC?

                    Ok, found a good link that sums it up fairly well...

                    Comparison
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Apple better then PC?

                      Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                      I need to point bommando up here, i know he uses MACs heavily
                      Must resist...no...too..hard...


                      Does it rain a lot in Australia ? :row__735:


                      DB

                      «That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

                      | |





                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Apple better then PC?

                        Personally, I love the new Macs.

                        In this day and age, the Mac runs pretty much the same hardware as a PC. It's Intel based and just as capable of running Windows XP as it is running Apple's OS X. Being able to dual boot a Mac into either Windows or OS X is truly a great thing.

                        When it comes to the OS itself, I must say that I'm partial to OS X simply because it's a BSD UNIX based OS and not that pile of crap that Apple used to call an OS. I'm primarily a UNIX guy, so once you get rid of the GUI, I'm quite at home on a Mac.

                        I wouldn't buy a Mac for gaming even if I was running XP on it, but I would most certainly prefer having a Mac for work-related activities and general computer use. The only reason I still use a PC is for gaming reasons.

                        There is a group that has hacked Apple's OS X so you can install it on non-Apple hardware. The only reason OS X doesn't run on a normal PC is because Apple has inserted specific checks to make sure it's on authentic Apple hardware. If you remove those checks from the OS, it WILL run on your average PC. You can even run OS X on a PC under VMware if you wanted to play with it to see what it's like.

                        Apple doesn't like the idea of running OS X on PC hardware and I understand why, but that doesn't stop me from wishing that they released a legal version of OS X that I could run on my PC.

                        You can read up a bit on the OSx86 project to get more info.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Apple better then PC?

                          Apples are basically Computing Appliances. A well engineered thing that is designed to do a limited number of things well. And it has other appliances that can attach to it in a very seamless way.

                          This is good and bad. Good because the user experience is generally very controlled. This makes things easy and fairly stable.

                          Bad because the choices are limited to what Apple decides is good.

                          But, because of the tightly controlled engineering underlying it, advanced users can go in and do powerful things.

                          To be fair if Microsoft tried to do what Apple does it would be slapped with a law suite. Plus they must work very hard to ensure backward compatibility. Apple can ignore this for the most part.

                          Plus Apple is lucky that people and companies have embraced the least common denominator of the Web interface. This allows Macs to function at least minimally in the business world without Apple having to come up with any type development framework for the Mac platform. (Linux on the desktop has also benefited from this.)

                          So I would say that Macs are a good choice for those with no computer experiance and no support from family or freinds. If a new person has people that can help them who use Windows then buy a windows machine.

                          Security of Mac is soon going to go away if they keep getting more of a market share. The Mac platform is no more secure than Windows, especially Vista. It just isn't worth the effort to hack Macs.

                          Me personally I can't justify the cost difference. That extra money could go on a much better video card or some more memory.

                          And I simply dislike Mac people as a rule. They tend to be snobish for no real reason. I think snobs are just attracted to the Mac.
                          I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Apple better then PC?

                            thx for the info... ya, I just got a new state of the art PC... and since 80% of my time on the PC is games, 18% for pictures, screens, videos, and web site updating, and 2% for bills and e-mail... the PC is BEST for me...


                            but I wanted to get the girls something that won't crash, lockup or require me too spend an hour or so fixing when they screw it up... which is almost weekly... like I said all they do is surf the web, mainly myspace, pictures from a digital camera, music to and from there iPod, and maybe homework research...

                            so thx for the info, I'll consider it depending on price near X-mas.
                            Magnum |TG-18th|


                            We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Apple better then PC?

                              Look into the iMac's. They're great for doing what your girls are interested in doing.

                              But for yourself, stick to a PC... It's where gaming is at, unfortunately.
                              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

                              <---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X