Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLz help review the parts I have decided for building 1st pc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLz help review the parts I have decided for building 1st pc.

Hi, after lots of deliberation, I made a list of the parts I am going to get to build a new pc.
    I've never done this so I hope some people can leave a reply, and tell me whether there are any mistakes in it like incompatible parts or simply bad choices in your opinion.

I'm using an old hard-drive and ddr2ram and DVD writer. I'm going to buy this new:

Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (INTEL)
    http://www.forcom.be/?product=300950
    119,90€ (FORCOM)

Processor
    Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz 4MB Boxed =
    235€ (IT WARE)

PSU
    OCZ StealthXStream 600W
    http://itware.webware.be/info.php?ar...lass=Voedingen
    69€ (IT WARE)

Case
    Gigabyte 24ZXX Triton GZ-XX1CA-SN Zilver
    http://alatest.nl/apps/reviews/28164...hassis+Series/
    65€ (FORCOM)

Videocard
    ASUS EN8800GT 512Mb PCI-E
    222€ (IT WARE)

Total: 710.9€

Any common caveats in installation are also welcome.
    Thanks in advance for any help/opinions!

Re: PLz help review the parts I have decided for building 1st pc.

looks good. however you "May" need to buy windows. the copy on your hard drive may be locked to the motherboard. maybe not though.

oh, get crysis too ;)

Comment

Thank you.
      About the windows - my brother works at a large company. They have I believe hundreds of pc's. Everyone of those comes with windows pre-installed but it's over-written with the company edition :). I should be able to use one of those old installs I hear.

Oh and I should get crysis, if only to have a look, if only because it should work :p.
      I won't get vista though, perhaps when Vista 98' is released :o.

Jesus I'm an emo-bastard that uses too many emoticons :(.
      Last edited by BigGaayAl; 11-17-2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Our biggest doubt was the PSU, so if you have any experience with PSU brands/types, please let us know what to buy :).
        Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

The only suggestion I have is to go with eVGA on your GFX card, I use them exclusively. Their trade in program is amazing, I got my 8800GTX for $130 after I traded in my 7950GX2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
            Our biggest doubt was the PSU, so if you have any experience with PSU brands/types, please let us know what to buy :).
            I have an OCZ PowerStream 600W PSU and it's held up nicely.

Originally posted by IanTheRed View Post
            The only suggestion I have is to go with eVGA on your GFX card, I use them exclusively. Their trade in program is amazing, I got my 8800GTX for $130 after I traded in my 7950GX2
            True, eVGA and BFG cards have the best warrenties and Customer Support. I replaced the cooler on my eVGA 8800 and broke the card, sent it back and got a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
              I have a 700W GameXStream. Silent, well made. You should be happy with your selection.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by IanTheRed View Post
                I had a look at it, and they do seem to have nice policies. However I think I'll still go the ASUS one because it is nearly 50 euro cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Comment

I'd get this CPU instead: http://itware.webware.be/info.php?ar...ss=Processoren

Otherwise, it looks really nice. I'm jealous. PSU looks great BTW.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                    I'd get this CPU instead: http://itware.webware.be/info.php?ar...ss=Processoren

Otherwise, it looks really nice. I'm jealous. PSU looks great BTW.
                    Yeah I compared the benchmarks on tom's hardware in detail, and the e6850 outperforms the q6600 in nearly all the tests for games. Seeing that I believe there still are dual core processors being released, I thought it shouldn't really be a problem to have only 2 cores for the next years. Since I'm not really doing lots of video editing and stuff, the E6850 should perform a little better in games for nearly the same price.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_20...=871&chart=444

Is there another reason they you'd prefer the Quad-core I wonder?

Comment

did you already order?. The Penryn series is coming. Yorkfield is already released but its a bit expensive (Extreme version only and its 1400 or so) the "Standard" models will be out within a month or two. I think the new Penryn is where it's at. they're making a dual, and a quad core lineup
                      '

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
                        did you already order?. The Penryn series is coming. Yorkfield is already released but its a bit expensive (Extreme version only and its 1400 or so) the "Standard" models will be out within a month or two. I think the new Penryn is where it's at. they're making a dual, and a quad core lineup
                        '
                        Well I already ordered the parts, but I haven't bought them yet or anything. I did hear about this penryn stuff, but isn't this all going to happen in a higher price-range?

On another note reading all this hardware stuff on sites is totally stressing me out. I can't play PR without epilepsy from the low fps, so I really need a new pc soon. My point is it ever the moment to stop waiting for the next processor/pricedrop? In the end I want sort of a mid range pc where I can play most games well for a few years.

I hope this setup will allow me to do just that with a possibility of upgrading (vid card/cpu/ddr3). As far as I know there will be no price-drops before 2008.

One thing I wonder; does the MOBO I chose allow you to upgrade to quad core stuff etc later or is this all very much tied to the motherboard? Pheeuw I know way too little about this :p let's hope it all works out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                          One thing I wonder; does the MOBO I chose allow you to upgrade to quad core stuff etc later or is this all very much tied to the motherboard? Pheeuw I know way too little about this :p let's hope it all works out.
                          See next quote:

Originally posted by Gigabyte website
                          All the Very Latest Features and Technologies

The P35C-DS3R sports the Intel® P35 chipset with support for the latest multi-core processors up to FSB 1333MHz as well as Intel's upcoming 45nm platform, with its record breaking performance and greater energy efficiency. In addition, the board will support Intel® Turbo Memory with its faster boot times, improved system responsiveness and quicker application loading.

Naturally, the P35C-DS3R supports Windows Vista Premium and a full range of High-Def entertainment features including both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats for an exhilarating home theater entertainment experience.

Lastly, with its top quality, highly efficient components, the P35C-DS3R is able to deliver cooler working temperatures and enhanced reliability, making it one of the highest overclocking P35 motherboards on the market. In fact, According to Tom's Hardware's Eight P35-DDR2 Motherboards Compared, the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R is "worth a closer look because it can use today's top-performing DDR2 memory while maintaining future compatibility with faster DDR3 modules, overclocks extremely well, and puts up good overall performance numbers."
                          I read the november best buy guide on Tweakers.net. They chose the Asus PK5-E/WIFI-AP and the Q6600, which I both had as alternatives for your setup. The only advantage the Asus mobo offers is SLI support, but that technology never convinced me and it lacks DDR3 support...

Chosing between the Q6600 and the E6850 is pretty hard, which one will offer the best performance in the next 3 years?... hard to tell.

Overview of the upcoming Penryn processors with ETA.
                          Last edited by Ghost Dog; 11-19-2007, 02:55 PM.

Comment

The OCZ's are good PSUs. They're actually manufactured by Antec exclusively for OCZ (since they don't have the facilities to produce PSUs).

One thing I would consider is this: Gigabyte (GA) does have some memory issues as in they are picky about what RAM and such you put in. They of course don't have any documentation pointing you to what you should put in, so I'd look over their forums (or other tech forums) to see what RAM most people use for that specific board.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

^^ Thx for the info, the memory I have is from Kingston. Not the best but then again... he doesn't have to pay for it, lets just hope it works.

Here 's another interesting quote from Tom 's Hardware about the upcoming Penryns:

Since the currently available Core 2 processors all run flawlessly with the P35 chipset, which is actually on sale as a real product in the market, we can't recommend buying an X38-based motherboard. As soon as the QX9770 goes on sale, you'll be able to find an appropriate X48 board for the same price X38 boards sell for now. It's definitely not worth purchasing an expensive X38 board now that may not be compatible with newer processors later due to upgraded specifications , e.g. FSB 1600.

Intel is offering an excellent CPU with the 45 nm Penryn processor - however, both the way these processors are being introduced and the sudden, seemingly haphazard change to their specifications are anything but consumer friendly. For now, the 45 nm technology remains unaffordable for buyers on a normal (read sane) budget.

Let's hope that the mid-range and budget 45 nm processors expected for 2008 are not all locked on FSB1600 - otherwise, users looking to upgrade will be forced to exchange their entire platform (X48 motherboard plus DDR3 memory), just to use a new processor.
                              If it was up to me, I think I 'd wait for the new Intel and AMD processors to see what happens.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X