GPU, PSU or Mobo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU, PSU or Mobo?

I just built my new pc on friday.. everything installed perfectly. I installed vista and everything was perfect.

Now its sunday, and i decided to go back to xp. Once i got everything installed i started getting this error: "The NVIDIA System Sentinel reports that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power"

I double checked power connections, and installed the latest bios, gpu drivers, and chipset drivers.

Just to check performance i tried Quake Wars, and it seems to run the same as it did under vista, which makes me think that it just was not displaying the error.

Also i am not running sli, this is a single Video Card set up

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
    Psu: Antec True power Trio 550w
    Gpu: Evga 8600 GTS
    Amd 62 x2 4800+

Any sugestions?
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    --Douglas Adams

Re: GPU, PSU or Mobo?

the PS is underpowered for the system. You need to look into at least a 700w.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks for the reply... and good to see ya DdogG

Actually evga just got back with me (quickly too... i thought it would take much longer)

Apparently this is an issue with a botched chipset install.

Wont get to try it until i get home, hope it works.

Thanks again for the reply. :)
      I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
      --Douglas Adams

Comment

You don't need a 700W PSU for that setup. It'll be overkill.

When you plug in the 6-pin power into the card, make sure that cord comes straight from the PSU and isn't powering other parts along the way. That way, your card gets stable power from your PSU and doesn't get fluctuating power when it has to power from other components in addition to the gfx card.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ok, so evga was wrong and this did not fix my issue.
          I unplugged everything that was not required to boot, the gpu is on its own cable, with nothing else on it.

At this point i do not know what to rma, but somthing needs to be replaced...

Any other sugestions?
          --Douglas Adams

Comment

I would say the PSU is fine since you've tried the bare essentials and still get the message.

Is performance slow when you played Quake Wars (either OS)? Or was there any stability problems? It could just be odd drivers with XP. You could try using an older version. I haven't been using the latest drivers for a while since the newer ones affect my 7900GT.

Another thing is maybe the power connector on the video card is broken. Even though you're connect the cable properly, the connector might not be giving full contact. I guess the same could go for the connector on the PSU so try a different connector on that end.

Last thing I can think of is to reseat the video card. I doubt it is the problem but you never know.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sarc.

Is performance slow when you played Quake Wars (either OS)? Or was there any stability problems?
              It seemed to play exactly the same, under vista i felt like this setup should have done more. The game was recommending high settings, after a few minutes, i bumped it down to medium. I have no way to compare because I was upgrading from a very old pc that could not play it at all.

It could just be odd drivers with XP. You could try using an older version. I haven't been using the latest drivers for a while since the newer ones affect my 7900GT.
              I tried some older drivers, and reseated the card several times during this.

Another thing is maybe the power connector on the video card is broken.
              Just checked this and i don't see anything that is missing or appears broke.

I assume that evga is going to pass the blame to antec, so if they dont have anything useful I am going to rma both the PS and GPU, which really sucks because i was really looking forward to gaming during the long holiday weekend. :(

Thanks again for the reply.
              Any other suggestions are welcome.
              --Douglas Adams

Comment

Did you dual boot with Vista? Maybe this really is just a driver problem and it's reporting bad data to you. It seems like the system is running fine despite the error message. I suggest sneaking in some gaming over the long weekend and worry about figuring out the error after you've been gamed out.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What is your motherboard model and brand btw?

Some of Antec's PSUs have had problems with some manufacturers and some model motherboards in the past.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

i didnt duel boot, reformatted between installs

Finally got to speak with a evga tech today, he said that this is a false positive and that they would gladly replace it.

I hope that this is what is really going on. and its not a mobo issue..

Thanks for all the help, it really helps to have a view other views on the situation.
                    --Douglas Adams

Comment

Well, send it to them to get it replaced if they are telling you it's a "false positive". Nothing like the present B.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Instead of just doing an exchange, i am going to get a refund for the 8600 and go with the EVGA 640-P2-N829-A1 Geforce 8800 GTS SSC 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

WOOT!
                        --Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Big-B View Post
                          Instead of just doing an exchange, i am going to get a refund for the 8600 and go with the EVGA 640-P2-N829-A1 Geforce 8800 GTS SSC 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

WOOT!

Wow, much better.

Comment

Wow, nice! :D
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X