Rodent Trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodent Trouble

Ok i have a problem with my Microsoft Habu, lovely mouse when it works however it has developed a rather inoying trait of just cutting out randomly and there seems to be no pattern that i can discern. Now i am thinking maybe the wire has gotten snagged and been rubbed maybe against corner of desk (the wire does feel rough) so maybe this is causing it to shot out every now and then. Anyone know if this is a likely problem or improbable, anyway of testing to find out whats wrong ?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Rodent Trouble

How long does it cut out for? A second or several?

Disconnect your mouse and run your thumb and index finger along the whole length of the wire. If there's "flat" dip along the way or if you see a jagged opening, then you probably snagged your mouse cable.

It might also be that there's too much power draw on your USB ports so your mouse may not be getting enough juice at times.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

First thing to do is bind the cord in a loop around the suspect area, and clamp it so nothing pulls on it or bumps it. That will isolate if it's the cord. But I highly doubt that unless you're seeing copper exposed.

GMan's suggestion is probably solid, but you might also check to see if you have anything else on your USB that might be hogging power. Lord knows everyone has USB fever and thinks you must have at least sixteen things plugged into it. Also, USB does take some CPU to operate; is it just the mouse or does the whole system choke?

Are you on an EVGA i680? It's known for the keyboard beep problem which would also cause the mouse to stop working for about a fifth of a second. Any beeps or stuck keys when that happens?

Comment

Ok ill describe the situation when in game first i get a sudden freeze for about half/whole second then i hear the ding dong (meaning mouse unpluged) then i can still move around but not look at all because my mouse is unpluged (the light on the mouse wheel goes out) then ill hear another ding dong and the light comes back on and i can go again.

I'm checking you idea now g man thanks.

As you surspected there was the option for powersaving to turn device off, is there any way to check how much power of your avaliable power supply is being used?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Ding dong? There is something software between your mouse and your CSS. Not acceptable!

That does sound like it's trying to "save power." Because turning off that little red light for a moment will save a tree while you're burning thousands of watt-hours on EVERYTHING ELSE IN YOUR HOME.

Lord I hate greenies.

Comment

Your USB ports are powered by the +/- 5V power line of your PSU. I don't know if there is a way of measuring power to your USB ports.

Just make sure you have the checkbox next to "power saving" mode unchecked (if you can). I'm not sure why you'd be having that problem. Have you tried using the latest version of whatever MS program there is for your mouse?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Your USB ports are powered by the +/- 5V power line of your PSU. I don't know if there is a way of measuring power to your USB ports.

Just make sure you have the checkbox next to "power saving" mode unchecked (if you can). I'm not sure why you'd be having that problem. Have you tried using the latest version of whatever MS program there is for your mouse?
              That's a good point. When USB ports get daisy-chained, the current isn't as high. A different USB port might supply the needed current to the device. I have a crapload of USB devices but I have to plug in my TrackIR to the mobo USB ports. The monitor USB hubs just don't provide enough current.

I think the typical current should be 250 mA and after sending it to a hub, it gets divided among the ports on the hub. So a device might get 50 mA when it needs 100 mA. Voltage should always be at 5V though so there's nothing to worry about there.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I had this same problem with my favorite MS Intellimouse, I just noticed that the USB roots did have that power-saving option on, I'm going to try it again to see if I can use it again. I had been using a lousy PS2 mouse I bought really cheap at Wal-Mart but I hate it, so here's hoping that it does!
                "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                -- Red Forman

Comment

Well the USB roots did have that power-saving option on so that has been unchecked and the problem has considerably lessoned i experience once in a computing session now rather thasn every other miniute it seemed. So thank you all for you help so far.

Winston Churchill

Comment

It's also the usually recommended that you plug "troublesome" devices into the USB port(s) that are on your motherboard (the ones in back or the ones on a PCI card) rather than the ones in the front of your case (since they usually get the least amount of power).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well i have tired a fresh install (if you have read any reviews of the habu youll no im not happy about this lol) ive tried re aranging the usb devices to give the mouse the most power but still it is persisting to inoy, i may have to just buy a new mouse.

Winston Churchill

Comment

One last suggest (which did the trick for a old keyboard on one of my other systems):

If you have one of those external USB hubs that has it's own power source (usually via a DC power converter), try using one of those with your Habu mouse to see if it solves the issue. If not, then go out and spend some money on Logitech (I trust MS to screw up gaming equipment).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm well i am going to be buy a new mouse i'm thinking the razer deathadder it looks pretty much the same as the habu just with some custormer support and easy to install drivers.

Thank you however to everyone who tryed to keep this old boy going, was much appreiated.

Winston Churchill

Comment

Bleh, thought it was working for a while, it started cutting out again. back to the PS2 optical mouse. Oh well, it works but I like the extra buttons my Intellimouse has.
                            "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                            -- Red Forman

Comment

Buying a mouse?
                              MX518.
                              Thread complete.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement