Help with the new system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the new system

Hey guys well im thinking on buying a new CPU but dont know which to get since I know there is alot of smart guys here about computers and was wondering if you could give me a hand with the one to go with here's the first one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883107508 :

2 Optical Drives w/ NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE 256MB
    HP Pavilion M7657C-B(RC641AA) 22" LCD wide-screen Core 2 Duo E6300(1.86GHz) 2GB DDR2 320GB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE Windows XP Media Center

and the second one is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103067 :

1GB Memory with Windows XP Professional
    Acer Power AP1000-UD400P Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 1GB DDR2 160GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Windows XP Professional - Retail

Oh yeah the first one cost: 929.99, and the second one's price is: 499.99
    are these good prices or what please help me out before I make my decision.
    thank you for your input.
    Shadowolf expect the unexpected.

2007 Fall tornament Team Awesome Undefeated 8-0 and they were doubting us.:row__537:

Re: Help with the new system

Are you planning on just playing Source games, or do you intend to play Call of Duty 4, Crysis, and whatever other new games are coming out?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
      Are you planning on just playing Source games, or do you intend to play Call of Duty 4, Crysis, and whatever other new games are coming out?
      Well yeah you can say that I wanna play call of duty 4 and many other games that come out.

2007 Fall tornament Team Awesome Undefeated 8-0 and they were doubting us.:row__537:

Comment

Alright, you're going to want a better video card than that. If you're willing to spend money, go for a GeForce 8800.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

hey man id suggest custom building your pc rather that buying it. you will definitely save a couple hundred dollars. Off the top of my head Id recommend a Antec 900 gaming case $120, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 $230, nvidia 8800 GT $220, Antec 650 watt trio power supply $100, for a motherboard I'd go with an Asus its my favorite brand for anything around $250. Unless you plan to SLI, 160 GB hard drive $30, $70 heatsink, any old disc drive will do I have a CD and DVD burner/driver that was $30. 2 Gigs of ram for $150. That right there is $1200 and you could cut some stuff down if you really wanted. Some brand names I left out because I don't wanna look em up right now but if you want them I have em (such as the heatsink, disc drive and hard drive). Most of that is what makes up my computer right now and im running Cod4 like a charm.

note: If i left some stuff out my bad but you get the just of what im saying, and with customizing your computer, motherboard size, socket types, pci slots and all this stuff come into play. But if you dish out the effort I guarantee a rig better than the two you just put up.

Comment

I agree with kean - build your own, it's not hard at all. But check out Newegg for current prices. I believe the Antec 900 is on sale for ~$70 right now and you can get an Asus mobo for $125-$205. They are also doing a great combo of the E6750 and 2MB of Corsair RAM for $180 after mail-in rebate. If you buy RAM separately, 2MB of good RAM can be found for far less than $150. Good luck finding an 8800GT for less than $250 and $70 for a heatsink is absurd when you are on a budget and the stock one will work just fine for most people.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

thats what I got my stuff for when I was building mine, I spend the money on a heatsink because I don't like having a noisy one, and I don't know what comes stock with a heatsink. but yea definitely play the sales they have going on right now. The prices I suggested are off the top of my head and dated, but regardless. And 8800 GT is priced between $200 and $250.

If you play sales right and don't do too much shipping, you can build that for $900.

Comment

OK well since your saying building one is better if someone could possibley write down what I need cause like I said Im a noob when it come's down to computers and dont really know what I need please help thanks.

Comment

First decide on your processor. That will dictate which motherboards and ram you have access to. Then decide how much junk you're going to jam into it. Likely you'll want 500W minimum for power, and 600~700 if you plan to do SLi or run more than two harddrives. After that, grab a case, soundcard, and any additional fun things you like and you're ready to go. Remember that your disk drives and stuff from your old system will pop right in, though if you have old IDE hard drives you should grab at least one SATA. IDE drives are slower, so they're fine for stashing your music and photos, but you'll want game stuff on the faster drive.

Comment

yea I would take care of what motherboard and processor you want, making sure that they have the same socket type, as in LGA 775. decide your price limit off the bat, this will help you plan it out. pm me and Ill give you a recommendation and quote on a rig using newegg, but to each his own and some people have their preferences.

Comment

I like to visit vendor sites such as Voodoo to see what they are using. Also, sharkeyextreme.com to look at their budget, performance and extreme builds.
                      |TG|Melee
                      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Before you do anything, read a guide on building your own pc (google will net you hundreds of these). If you don't know what's what and you've never built a computer before, looking at parts and prices before understanding what goes in to a modern pc is just going to confuse you.

Comment

I just recently upgraded. I got an abit f4t1l1ty mobo for about $100, it's an SLI mobo with raid, not bad. 2gigs of 800mhz ram for $50. 2 160GB SATA II drives for 120$ to run raid. GEforce 8600gt (yeah it's the cheaper card) for 120$ (if I need more vid power I'll just get another one and run them in SLI). And I went with a Q6600 over the E6600 for 270$, since it was only 60$ more than the E6600 i figured 2 more cores couldn't hurt =) Used my old case and power supply and sound card.

Once you build your own PC one time, it doesn't change much. If you've never done it before it's not that hard except most of the manuals commonly seem to lack a couple things here and there. Maybe best to get a friend to help out the first time you pop your cherry.

IMO, the most confusing part is setting up raid and your own BIOS config. But there are lots of sites out there that explain most settings.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                          "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                          - Wulfyn

Comment

Everyone is making it sound extremely hard. Id recommend have a friend help you out and talk to the guys at Fry's (my favorite store) or BestBuy assuming both are in your area.

Comment

i build my computer around the processor first and foremost....
                              my next build is gonna look something like this (right after xmas im starting)
                              E6850 3.0Ghz processor
                              P5W DH Deluxe WiFi mobo <- has to match teh processor socket... lga775
                              4GB ram <- has to fit the mobo and processor FSB speed ... this specific ram is only $117 on tiger direct
                              8800GT <- about 330 for the best one, a phenominal card tbh SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE

i am using my old case/hd/psu/bd-rom and my build comes out to be $900 plus a few bucks for the non-free shipping that still exists around newegg for parts
                              so.. add a $120 case, $130 power supply and u are a hard drive and optical drive away from my exact system (after xmas anyway)