Dual core or quad core??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual core or quad core??

I know this question has been asked so many times before but I planned on building a new computer in about 2-3 months time using the new Intel 45nm processor and motherboard. By looking at some reviews and articles there is little performance gains from using quad core over dual core for gaming purposes(even with the game designed for quad core in mind). I know they have only released the one quad core s of now but also know they plan on releasing the dual cores along with some other quad cores in or about January. I was looking at possibly the E8500 dual core running at 3.16Ghz for $266 or the Q9450 quad core running at 2.66Ghz for $316, others are a little out of price range and those are estimated release prices. The reviews I read on either of the processor types claim less power consumption and less heat which means they overclock really well, The QX9650 has overclocked to 4.0Ghz from the stock 3.0Ghz and the article stated they believe with aftermarket cooling it could easily hit 5.0Ghz with little consequences!!

Also, I was going to get an 8800 Ultra but changed my mind after reading some reviews of the 8800GT and seen the price. I could get 2-8800GT's and run SLI for the price of 1-8800 Ultra. The review also claim they overclock really well but only downfall is really no second slot and allows the heat to be expelled into the case. Sure I can fix that though.

What do you all think? Quad or Dual? 1-8800 Ultra or 2-8800GT's?
    Still contemplating on which MB as well. I know I have plenty of time before I actually start ordering but thought I would get some ideas and advice before the time comes.

Re: Dual core or quad core??

Quad; 8800 Ultra

well, have you ever considered not doing intel and using 2 quad core fx-74s from AMD? Thanks to new tech you can have 2 quads on a new home pc, not just a server. AMD uses this on the new 1207 socket. A work in progress for the 1207 secket processors will have an ATI graphics processor within the cpu, allowing more freedom for the graphics cards. But this thought here for the AMD is just my thought- you can do what you want. :)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

AMD, WHAT?? Ever think of what most designers are probably using when designing and testing a game? I have and what comes to mind is most use Intel with Nvidia. Hopefully if I have a similar setup I will not have issues as much as I do now with my AMD system and ATI card. The power comsumption of 2 AMD processors would be scary let alone the price the 2 AMD processors and board would cost. AMD and ATI has nothing that impresses me, or at least not now anyway and not for at least another 2 years from what I am reading.
      Have you read the reviews for the 8800GT? That thing can do better then the Ultra in some games espexially if you overclock and add an aftermarket fan to keep it cool.
      Thanks for the thought anyway about the dual AMD processors.

Comment

AMD is on the right track with the dual quads on a home board.... just cant do it right now without buying a server board AND the special memory( cant think of the name right now, brain fart ) .... if and when AMD profects it ill give it a shot :) but not right away,, cause it will be BIG $$$$$$$$$$$ at the begining :)

dude id go wit the quad,, if for nothing else you will already be ready for the future :) as fast as things change,, you be able to use it the way its ment within a year....

im going wit the quad here in about a month,, but i can use it RIGHT NOW for what i need it for....

Comment

How does OS licensing work with multi-cores? I recall that MS was compelled to extend the XP workstation license to dual-CPU licensing when Intel introduced hyperthreading. Before that, an extra CPU cost an additional license, and HT looks like a 2nd CPU to the OS. If you have dual quads, do you need an 8 CPU license?
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Go with 1x8800GT. Save the cash for a future GPU upgrade. The 2x8800GT is tempting though. Either setup would be pretty awesome. It's just that if you save the cost of a second card, you can replace the 8800GT in a couple of years with the next greatest mid-range card. Nvidia cards right now aren't DX10.1 compliant so it's a bigger hole in your pocket to get 2x8800GT. However, it'll be a long time before DX10.1 is required.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I also read a review that claimed DX10 cards will still be able to play DX10.1 games just not as good as what it is supposed to be. I am also planning on going with Vista instead of XP or at least try it out for a while and if I don't like it I will go back to XP Pro. Plan on getting 4Gb of PC6400 RAM so I should be ok with running Vista. Plus it will give me time to learn it, XP loses all support and no more updates 1-31-09 and thinking about it, that isn't that far away.
              Think I will get just one 8800GT and wait to see what Nvidia brings out next. I believe I am going to have a difficult time actually deciding on the dual or quad though. All the reviews and charts I seen and read shows minimal gains from running quad core of the same comparison to a dual. Guess when the time comes and I actually put the order in is when I will know. Some changes still might take place before Intel releases them?!?! I have an pretty good idea of what I want now but 2-3 months later all the stuff I want could have different prices and also maybe better selection than now.

Comment

AMD was the king for quite awhile, now its Intel's turn. I wouldn't go out and say one or the other is bad.

As for quad vs dual, I'd probably go with a strong dual core at the moment. Nothing currently can utilitize a quad enough to say its better than a dual, at least to my knowledge.

I'd personally wait till early next year to build unless you absolutely need a system. Newer cards may come out then, or prices might drop, etc.

Comment

If you got 4GB RAM, get a 64-bit OS. I don't think 4GB is necessary though. That's quite a lot of RAM and dealing with a 64-bit OS can have its quirks. Minimum game requirements are still 512MB-1GB with recommended specs never more than 2GB. Save that money until you really need the RAM.

Either a quad or dual will be fine. Whichever CPU you pick, it's going to be awesome. If quad core becomes a big thing in a few years, you'll still have an old quad core. The performance gain from a multi-threaded app wouldn't be spectacular. Plus, either CPU will be more than enough power for the 8800GT (or even a 8800GTX I'd wager).

Comment

I need more than 2 gig right now, and that's just for work.

Once I get my large apps up and running, I'm sitting @ 1.7 gig physical, and I still could stand to have more open.

I could easily take advantage of a quadcore 4 gig or 8 gig setup since I also run a VMware on my comp to test video and websites in other os'es / browsers / screen resolutions.

I would get more cores if you do anything other than gaming. You could dedicate a core to everything in the background, a core to all your os/ hardware/ whatever and then 2 cores to the game.

And btw, 64bit OS is definately worth it. I love the setup. It is rock solid and faster by far. I have not come across anything at this point I could not get working.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                      I need more than 2 gig right now, and that's just for work.

Once I get my large apps up and running, I'm sitting @ 1.7 gig physical, and I still could stand to have more open.

I could easily take advantage of a quadcore 4 gig or 8 gig setup since I also run a VMware on my comp to test video and websites in other os'es / browsers / screen resolutions.

I would get more cores if you do anything other than gaming. You could dedicate a core to everything in the background, a core to all your os/ hardware/ whatever and then 2 cores to the game.

And btw, 64bit OS is definately worth it. I love the setup. It is rock solid and faster by far. I have not come across anything at this point I could not get working.
                      That depends if msdz is building a workstation and not just a gaming machine.

Comment

The 8800 Ultra is a waste of money, plain and simple. Buy an 800 GTX, throw an aftermarket cooler on it and overclock it to the same speeds. Otherwise, the 8800 GT is a better choice. I'm not the BIGGEST fan of SLi (I think its great for extending the life of older hardware but silly for a new build) but I would probably go the 2x 8800GT route over the 1x 8800 Ultra.
                        sigpic

Comment

Almost all games are single-tasking. WoW only recently announced the ability to take advantage of a second core. The engines weren't designed for parallelizing processing, because at the time they were written, there was no market for that. (Parallel processing isn't free: There's overhead associated with coordinating the work, so the programmer either has to write two programs to accommodate both kinds of system, or he has to create one program that's sub-optimal for one case.) If you only game, and do nothing else at the same time, even a dual-core is overkill.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'd have to argue the fact that gamers are "single-tasking." A LOT of games out now are utilitizing more than one core. Some engines are better at doing so than others, but the majority of the major FPSes out there are now using engines that take advantage of multicore processors.

Comment

Which engines use more than one CPU? I've not seen any announcements of this.

http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/200...d-of-warcraft/

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2085.html

This suggests that games using multi-threaded OpenGL (and that enable it) will see benefit. (So will those that separate graphics from game play and other logic in different threads. Single-player games with the AI in separate threads would benefit.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X