X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR2 or DDR3

Here's the system that I'm about to get:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Number=6001032

I've spent enough time waffling on it that I'm about to go crazy but I can't let go of one last nagging question: stick with DDR2 or go ahead and "upgrade" to DDR3.

I've been on tomshardware.com and it still looks like the jury is out and I'm tired of researching... what do y'all think? Will I soon regret buying a new DDR2 system now?

Re: DDR2 or DDR3

Can't really say that going with DDR2 will be something you'll regret, I mean, AMD only started using it with the AM2 socket, and that wasn't too long ago.

I have to ask though, why are you going with such an expensive motherboard, or the 8800 GTS? Unless this is a no holds bar build, I'd look into cutting the price of that motherboard into something with a bit less "pizazze." Also, the 8800 GT outperforms the GTSes in most situations and is significantly less expensive than the GTS.

Maybe take the money you'd be spending on these parts and get a nice sound card or something, or maybe another hard drive.

Also, check out www.svc.com to find sweet deals on cases/fans/heatsinks etc., might find a better price than good old 'egg.

Comment

After a quick check of the new DDR3 chipset for Intel processors, it seems like DDR2 is the choice for now. DDR3 is expensive and hasn't had time to mature. Given some time, we'll see faster DDR3 modules and the advantages will be greater. At this point, it's a waste of money to adopt such new technology.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If DDR3 was not so expensive right now I would definitely get it but I am going to most likely go with DDR2 PC6400 since it is relatively cheap in comparison. Never know though with the extra cash I plan on saving from not getting the Nvidia 8800 Ultra and getting the 8800GT I may actually be able to afford to get DDR3? (just gonna have to sneak that in so the boss(wife) don't know it, lol.
        BTW hold off for another month or 2 and get the 45nm processor dual core E8500 running at 3.17Ghz and 6Mb of L2 cache. It will use less power and generate less heat then the E6850 or so I have read.
        Something for you to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
          If DDR3 was not so expensive right now I would definitely get it but I am going to most likely go with DDR2 PC6400 since it is relatively cheap in comparison. Never know though with the extra cash I plan on saving from not getting the Nvidia 8800 Ultra and getting the 8800GT I may actually be able to afford to get DDR3? (just gonna have to sneak that in so the boss(wife) don't know it, lol.
          BTW hold off for another month or 2 and get the 45nm processor dual core E8500 running at 3.17Ghz and 6Mb of L2 cache. It will use less power and generate less heat then the E6850 or so I have read.
          Something for you to think about.
          It might make sense to save that extra cash and use it as upgrade money in 2 years. Getting the best possible system now just means you spend more money and it lasts a few months. Then the next best thing comes out.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I am getting rid of 4 gig of Corsair6400C4PRO if interested, yes the ones with the sexy lights (just got Dominator 9136).
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X