unstable (at best) computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unstable (at best) computer

the stability of my rig has been degrading substantially over the past month or so... virus/ad scans show no major bad programs... drivers are all up to date... temps are well below the high end of normal, all speeds are stock (no overclocking), but when i boot up..

*i have a 50% chance of my computer doing a reboot after fully booted up (no bsod.. just like pushing reset)

*while in game (CSS) it usually starts out fine, but shortly after playing... artifacts start appearing... or the game will crash.. 1 in 4 times.. a directx9 something error appears.... but most of the time, artifacts and missing rendering makes the game unplayable (lighting effects stop.. everything is rendered black except players) decals appear as black squares.. that kinda thing...

my computer isnt necessarily old, but it is about 1.5 years
    specs are as follows
    AMD 4400+ X2 2.2ghz
    2gb corsair xms high performance ram
    ATI x1950 pro
    1x 120 10k-rpm main drive
    2x 300gb in raid 2ndary drive
    750 or 850 watt power supply (voltages are normal, and the psu is 6 months old antec (non-generic))

i am currently using omega ati drivers, but once i reboot, i am back to stock drivers to see if it solves any problems... is ther a way to update directx drivers?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: unstable (at best) computer

Have you checked for dust? Probably fine since your temps seem to be in check. Double check all the connections (ie. power) that might be causing power loss.

You can google for the DirectX drivers. Or, check a recent game's install disc as they'll most likely include the latest version. I think the latest one was this past August.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

There's a direct link to MS's DirectX's download page.

Have you run any diagnostics on your hardware? Download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) and burn it to a CD and boot your PC with the CD in the drive (with boot priority set to your CD drive), and let it go for awhile (12 hours-ish) and see if it comes up with errors.

Comment

what does the memtest do?