tech noob needs help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech noob needs help.

I've finally decided to upgrade my PoS X600 pro video card, but it seems I'm getting in over my head. I don't want to fork over the money for a completely new system, but I would very much like to see my games in all their DX10 glory.

What I have:
    3.2GHz Intel 640 CPU
    ATI X600 Pro 256 MB
    2 GBs DDR2 RAM
    300 GB HD (if it makes a difference)

My power supply says 288W max, but it says ATX-300 so I am a little bit confused by that.

Now what that means to me:

I would like to upgrade my video card to an eVGA GeForce 8600 GT. Sounds well and good, but it says it requires a 350W power supply. Does anybody know if I can get away with using my current power supply, or do I have to go through the hassle of ripping my PC apart?

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Re: tech noob needs help.

rip apart your pc and upgrade teh PSU. Really you will need it. Im surprised with your setup now it doesnt take more. You dont want to skimp on the PSU size, cause it will only put undue strain on your entire system.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Wasn't really looking forward to it, but I guess I have no choice.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

PSU isnt hard to take out, just very detail oriented.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

PSU is even small for an 8600 IMO. I suggest a 450. I have an 8600GTS.

Not a pentium D?

It's gonna bottleneck.
          Skud

Comment

Go for quality of pure wattage on your new PSU.

www.anandtech.com has some buyers guides. I would add to theirs the Corsair PSU's. Other tests have shown them to be very well made, stable, and have modable cables.

I would also suggest looking at the new ATi 3850 and 3870 cards in benchmarks against the 8600. I can't remember right now but I believe the 3850 is around the same price but posts nicer results.

Comment

I have an Ultra 550W X2 right now in my old case and I like it. Having only the cables hooked up that is required for all my junk iside and it is reletively clean, no mess of wires and cables cause of unused power cables. I was thinking of getting an Ultra X3 for my new computer when I build it.
              Basically what I have seen it looks like you may want to just save the money for now and do a complete new build. With all the lovely new computer hardware coming out in the next few months and prices not really that bad a damn good system can probably be built for about $1000, I am going a little more with mine at about $1500-$2000 but that is including a lot of other stuff that isn't really needed but the wife wants. Like another set of Logitech Z5500 speakers(why, I have no idea but I am adding them into the cost for her since I need to keep her happy or I don't get a new computer, lol).

Comment

Just an update. Installed an EVGA 8600 GT 512MB RAM and a new 430 Watt power supply and my games run absolutely fantastic. Wasn't hard at all and took barely any time to install. Strangely enough, BF2 looks worse on high settings, but I would guess that is because CoD4 looks that much better with a decent graphics card.

And to skud's previous response, I haven't experienced any "bottlenecking." Everything seems to be running faster all across the board.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

good to see that it worked out. My next upgrade will be from my POS 7300 GT to something nicer. Probably an ATI board though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X