Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on a new computer

Okay guys,

After 3.5 years it might be time to change my computer for a new one, I used to be able to pick one myself, but I'm a bit rusty at computerhardware atm, so any ideas would be nice.

Got my eye on this one:

Intel® Viiv™ Processortechnologie,Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6750
    (2.66 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB)

De NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 GS PCI-Express GPU, HDMI, HDCP.

2048 MB DDR2 Dual Channel

500 GB S-ATA HD

blu-ray HD-DVD

Think those are the main specs.
    All that in a nice black shiny case for €900,- / 640 GBP / 1320 dollar

Would this be any good?
    sigpic

Re: Need some help on a new computer

Yeah, that's a fine setup. If you got the extra cash, try to change the 8600 to a 8800 GT. You can probably switch the Blu-Ray for a regular DVD drive to get a 8800.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, that 8600GT is a bit of a slug. Any reason why you're not building your own?
      sigpic

Comment

Hold off for a little while cause Intel is releasing their new Penryn 45nm processors. They use less power and generate less heat than what they have now. Prices aren't looking bad for the releases either. I think it was 4 quad cores and 3 dual cores they have in mind ATM. One quad core(the QX9650) has already been released, running stock it runs at 3.0Ghz and can be overclocked fairly easy with what I read to 4.0Ghz using stock cooling and with aftermarket cooling the article thinks it could hit 5.0Ghz fairly easy with little heat building up.

I would hold off on the Blu-Ray unless you really need it and get a better video card and more memory. Maybe get the 8800GT, the reviews I read on it seems real promising and not to bad with the price. OCZ has a Vista 4Gb memory upgrade kit PC6400 that isn't priced to bad either(if running Vista it wouldn't hurt to have 4Gb), unless you want faster memory speeds. With the items I listed I believe you could stay in the price range I see above, all depends on the case, PSU, and hard drives you get.

Comment

4GB is a good idea with 64-bit Vista but a 32 bit OS can't address that much RAM.
          sigpic

Comment

32 bit should will run 4Gb of RAM no problem. That is the limit for it though, 64 bit has like 128Gb. You need to look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
              32 bit should will run 4Gb of RAM no problem. That is the limit for it though, 64 bit has like 128Gb. You need to look it up.
              4GB is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can handle. Unfortunately, the 4GB limit includes video card memory and RAM. So, it really can't handle that much RAM.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                32 Bit operating systems can address 4GB maximum so things like VRAM, various device caches, sound cards, etc. all take away from that. Vista 32 bit will run fine with 4GB of RAM installed but it won't be able to address the full amount and he will have wasted his money.
                sigpic

Comment

I would strongly suggest saving some money to invest in your video card. The 8800GT is a good suggestion. Also the new ATI 3870 is close to the 8800GT but the GT is usually the faster of the two. The 3870 though seems to be in stock in more places and is cheaper at the moment. I would be sure to check out some benchmarks for both cards as well as the 8600GT and the ATi 3850 compared to the above cards.

Don't skimp on the PSU. You don't need a 1000w beast but a good quality 600 watt with the current connections is what I would suggest. I have a Corsair 620 which is very nice and can handle a high end system if need be. There are other good quality ones as well though.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, might indeed want to hold for a moment, its not like I need a replacement just now.....just that when you come across something that would not run on your system......you want to chance.

I will try to be patient......will be hard though. :-)

Oh and the reason for not building my own, not that handy with computers and tbh I dont want to put the tim/effort in it....yeah...yeah..call me lazy. hahahaha
                    sigpic

Comment

Building a computer is't hard.
                      First off you have all the great people of TG to help you out if you run into problems. Secondly there are a crap load of videos and how-to's on the internet.
                      Thirdly the cost, most of the time a person can buld a computer cheaper themselves than a pre-manufactured one. Spend $1000 on building and end up with and EXCELLENT computer for gaming or spend a $1000 buying an already built one and it may be just so-so for gaming.
                      Fourth reason is you can pick exactly what you want hardware and software. No crap being installed you do not want, one of the biggest reasons why I hate buying a computer that was already built and preloaded with software. Most I never even use, I went out and bought a copy of XP quickly when I bought my last computer just to get ridof that junk.
                      One more reason I could think of building your own, you will know how after that and each build will be easier. Also if by chance something would go wong with the computer later down the road you would be able to troubleshoot it more easily cause you know what is in it. Not need to get somebody else to do it for you who may end up saying they fixed it and completely messed it up more or doesn't really know squat about computers at all.

Comment

loose the Blu Ray and go out and buy the HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360 then download the drivers for windows for it and you just saved about $400 and still have access to HD movies.

With your saved money you can get a 8800GTX which is much better than the 8600

Comment

Originally posted by IanTheRed
                          8800GTX which is much better than the 8600
                          Originally posted by =Sarc=
                          try to change the 8600 to a 8800 GT
                          I was Told 8800 GTS is the best one of the 8800's. Was I misinformed?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                            Yeah, that's a fine setup. If you got the extra cash, try to change the 8600 to a 8800 GT. You can probably switch the Blu-Ray for a regular DVD drive to get a 8800.
                            Or for the slightly cheaper 8800 GTS. The 8600 GS performs as well as perhaps a 7600 GT (even though it supports DX10).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

GTS = 320MB, GTX = 640MB, GT = New Hotness FTW.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X