Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with restarting a computer please!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with restarting a computer please!!!!

HELP!

Im trying to restart my mom's computer, and im in the process of doing it, but ive hit roadblock....

Right now, in the setup, it gives me TWO options for.. (i dont know what this means im trying to figure it out) putting... 'partitions' on the computer hard drive? it says something about the partitions for the computer, and the two options are:

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 38154 MB (9916 MB Free)
    OR
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB

WHAT should i do?!? when i hit enter on the C: option, it says "this drive already has a operating system on the drive, it is NOT recommened to have two opertating systems on one drive.

i dont get what this means...

there is also another thing it says: (where it says for me to choose where to partition)

Press D on the selected partition to delete.

i dont get what any of this means, can some one explain this to me and/or guide me through what i should do? i just want to restart my moms comp, and erase EVERYTHING off the C: Drive... and ill figure out the rest from there.

Please and thank you very much, you really dont know how much i appreciate this.

P.S. If i wasnt clear enough please let me know so i can try to explain what it is better.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: help with restarting a computer please!!!!

Please anyone i need help.. (sry im impatient)
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

Press D to delete the partition. It'll delete everything like you want and you can make a new partition.

One of the search results of a google search (keywords: installing windows xp) assuming you're installing WinXP.
      http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1435

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I just checked the windows site, and thats JUST what i went to do and it says;

Unable to delete partition because it has temporary files on it that are needed to continue....

I dont seem to find anything about that.. any ideas? =/

Comment

ENSURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEY. IF YOU DO NOT, SEARCH FOR A KEY EXTRACTOR TO GET YOUR KEY.
          BOOT THE INSTALLATION MEDIA. Never install on the old installation's GUI.
          It'll be blue DOS style, and take a while to get started.
          Delete all partitions, it will ask to see you're double-sure.
          Create a new partition, 8096MB (It'll probably round to 8089) in size, install to that.
          Windows will boot to a low-res GUI after the files are copied. You'll fill some boxes, enter your key, and eventually it'll be ready to rock.
          Once Windows is up and running, right click the computer icon, select Manage, then find Disk Management, select the unpartitioned space, and have it create a new partition that fills the gap. It'll take a bit. Once that's done you're ready to rock.

Reasoning: If you need to re-install Windows again, you can install to the 8GB partition and not need to backup/lose the rest of the data that you store on the new partition. Note that you'll be installing everything to the new partition, leaving C: alone except for system things like drivers, and of course the Desktop will be in C:. If you want to put your programs on C: and use the new partition only for non-program data, which is fine, give C: a bigger cut of the harddrive.

Comment

Thats the new problem now magna tho is that when i try to delete the partition, it says unable to because of temp files that are needed to continue.. so i cant.. ive been trying to search other forums about it but they arent really making any sense and on top of it they are showing the guy who has the similar problem an entire list of things to do, and i really dont get what to do. im really having a hard time with this.

Comment

You must be doing something wrong. I have NEVER been denied a partition deletion in the PE. (PE = Pre-installation Environment. The blue DOS interface.)

Please tell me you didn't just put the installation disk in, smile at the big WELCOME I AM STEVE BALMER AND I WILL HAL[P YOU UPGRADE! box, and then wonder why it's going wrong. Instead, inform me that you are booting from the installation media from POST, not loading Windows at all, and are at the nice blue screen where it says to hit D to delete a partition. Then Enter to really deleate it. Then L to really, really, really delete it. And that because of your being there, it's working properly. :D

And if you're doing it right and it's still failing, we'll just have to roll out the big guns...

On a system that works, find the Ultimate Boot CD. Last version I saw was 4.1.1, but if I recall, 3.4 was a lot nicer to look at. Anyway, it'll give you a barrelful of tools, including a series of harddrive wiping tools. Run any of them on Single Pass, Zeroes, and it'll wax the parition table and everything else. Now that'll be the point of no return, mind you, so you better 1) be capable of booting from your installation CD, which if you're a pirate, your disk may not be bootable because you didn't burn it right or the ISO was made by a noob and then you'd be pwnt totally. and 2) have backed up any data because it's tased, bro. Anyway, there's not going to be any temp files to be excuses at that point, so install for the win.

And while you're getting the UBCD, make an Ubuntu or Knoppix disk, too. They work without harddrives and there's no reason anyone doesn't have them at the ready.

Comment

aha, Yep, i was searching on google and found some posts from a kid with the same problem, and after tons of posts, he finally figured out that he was booting from popping the disk in, and hitting install windows, and it failed, and then he tried popping disk in, closing out the screen it pops up, rebooted, and it worked finally.

I guess its because when u hit install from the screen it pops up, its putting those temp files on to ur comp. so yeah now i got it to delete, and i put a new partition up.. but now, its asking for a NTFS or NTFS Quick.. which do i choose?

Comment

NTFS full. No reason to be sloppy. On that note, have a software firewall installer on a USB drive and get in installed before you let the internet wire get anywhere near your clean machine. Only way to stop the AIDS is to put the condom on before making contact with the diseased slatern that is the interwebs. I use old Kerio Personal Firewall (now under the Sunbelt brand) but I've heard positive reviews of Comodo, and everyone knows of crummy-but-it's-something ZoneAlarm.

Comment

Ok thanks, and good thinkin on that firewall blocker thing first, never thought of that.

Comment

Also, now that im thinking about it.... i just created a partition OVER my old partition.. i think i better clean my machine while im fresh and full of this info.. thanks guys, your the best =)

Comment

I like to have everything on phsyical media and ready to install. Here's my pattern:

Unplug wire.
                        Partition.
                        Windows.
                        Mobo driver disk.
                        Set IDE to DMA from PIO (Win2K lame default)
                        DirectX9c.
                        Video drivers.
                        EnableBigLba 1 (Win2K lame default)
                        Firewall.
                        Reboot.
                        Connect internets.
                        Online, get Opera. (The only thing I'll ever do on IE.)

After that, everything else is installed on-demand. Steam, sound drivers, &c.

If you mean clean by phsyical cleaning, that's another every-month-or-two chore. Good to do.
                        If you mean digital cleaning, run that full-disk all-zeros thing and you're 99.99% pure. Just remember when backing up stuff that data is safe, but programs should be re-installed in case of any lurking viruses.

Comment

On that note, i noticed video drivers... now im not sure, nor do i even rememeber having to put one in, what brand/name/type of video card my mom has (she has an UBBBBERRR OLD pc) (she does crafts and simple ebay internet crap so she doesnt need a good comp right now) so im almost 100% sure she doesnt have her CD for her video card to install the drivers...

do you know where i can do to download the drivers?

Comment

Just search the Mobo and Video card models and you'll find drivers. You know which brand/name/type of them the system has because you open the case up and look inside.

Comment

Start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager/display adapters/update driver

i think thats how it goes anyway. it will search the HD then the internet for the updated drivers for you system. the vid drivers should be on your Win install disc ( hopefully )

if not she should have the install disc's for everything somewhere lol. its tough to keep track of all that stuff with a old system. all my new ones i keep in a big envolope, 1 labeled for each system. should have a Win install disc, and a drivers install disc. WoW if it dont your gona have to do some searching like magna said and try to find out what onboard gui it has. should be under system info.

then you should be able to update them from what i put above.

that should work

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X