Piecing together a new computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piecing together a new computer.

I really would like some input on kind PC I should try and piece together. If I may I'm going to list off what I want to use the computer for and then you guys help me pick which pieces would be best to fit my needs. There are a few sites that I have heard that sell very cheap PC hardware such as http://www.newegg.com/ and http://a-power.com/home although I have an A-power in my town so I would most likely buy it from there, But I will keep my options open and see what you all have to say.

I would deffinately like to be able to:

Play games such as Crysis and Call of Duty 4 at maximum settings.
    Render 3D objects and create Maps using programs like Maya and Crysis's new engine.
    Run multiple full screen programs at once.
    Run 2 monitors.
    Play music 24/7.(mostly Techno :P)
    Run this PC for hours on end, without the chance of it getting too hot.
    Watch Video's on the system without being bothered by Codec errors.
    Not be bothered with lag issues, without having to upgrade from "Telus High Speed".
    Move the PC around the 3 story house without having issues with Modem reception.

Thank you for any input you share with me. I really appreciate it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Re: Piecing together a new computer.

If you want eye candy, you'll need to get an SLI setup and probably a quad-core bleeding-edge processor.
    Now that you've spent $6000:

Multiple full-screen apps may or may not be plausible. Full screen mode generally means one app gets the floor, so there may be conflicts no matter your hardware.
    Only two monitors? Pfft, all the video cards are dual-out these days.
    Music? Try harder.
    You clearly need at least liquid nitrogen cooling. Be sure to buy by the tanker and have two tankers on hand. You never know when you'll need to snap one open to halt a liquid metal Terminator T1000.
    Use VLC if you can't figure out how to install a codec.
    Lag is 100% your ISP's deal. Computer has nothing to do with it unless you do something dumb and deliberately misconfigure your adapter.
    How the hell do you have modem reception? Either your modem is connected or not. And if you're on modem, you're going to have lag problems because 56k simply takes that long to swallow a packet.

Comment

The Full-screen Apps I would have in windowed mode most of the time. What is a VLC? By lag I was referring to something like the Killer Network card. My mistake I meant Wireless Router Reception.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Google VLC. It has codecs built-in so you don't have to worry about it. If you ever do have a problem, upgrade to the latest version.

Check out some of the builds posted in the hardware forum. Some of the others need high-end computers and they'll suit your needs. Also, post your budget otherwise I'll just pick every single expensive component for my suggestion.

For local shops, look for DirectCanada, NCIX and Atic (all have locations in Vancouver) because they're quite popular with BC residents and non-BC residents.

For wireless router reception, think about getting range extenders or wiring the entire house. Although, I don't know why you'd be frequently moving a computer and multiple monitors. If it's a requirement though and you don't want to be wired, your best option is a range extender or wireless routers that can be connected to each other. Then you wire the house for the routers that will never move.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If you are playing Source games, you really don't need to worry about latency until it gets over 80. All of Source's BS -- that's bad reg, no reg, shots that turn corners, people jerking around when you bump them, props that appear when you turn corners, off-model hitboxes, blood splatters on people who weren't hurt by shots -- is part of the Source interpolation system, and all that crap is the trade-off you're suffering in order to have "lag-free gaming." And thus, since you're already paying for the best comprimise Valve can give you to make a low-latency game play like a no-latency game, there's no reason to fight for 40ms over 50ms. And if you're over 80ms, traceroute for curiosity's sake, and then either cope or change servers. The way the lag correction works, you'll have better gameplay as an 80 ping on a properly-configured server than 40 ping on a stinker.

Wireless is dumb. I only use it for cross-forest shots, because I don't want to string a line across my acreage. The squirrels would object and throw pine cones at me.

Comment

I was thinking around $3000-6000 CAD. And I will deffinatley be playing more than just source games. Also I am debating on getting the new Windows Vista or just sticking with XP Pro.

Comment

XP. What kind of debate could you have? Well, on one hand I could have an operating system, but on the other hand, I could have a leprechaun with a cattle prod jolt my testicles. Repeatedly. Hmmm, that's a tough one!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                XP. What kind of debate could you have? Well, on one hand I could have an operating system, but on the other hand, I could have a leprechaun with a cattle prod jolt my testicles. Repeatedly. Hmmm, that's a tough one!
                HAHAHA, alright decisions made thanks.

Comment

You'll need Vista to run DX10 though. It might not be worth it but you don't get DX10 with WinXP. I also run Vista on my gaming system. It doesn't have gaming problems. People mostly bash Vista just because it's new. Another thing is you'll eventually have to move to Vista. WinXP support stops early 2009. When that time comes, you might have a desire to switch and you'll have to pay for a new OS again.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Now that Linux is catching proper video card support...

Did I ever mention my garbage laptop I bought? AMDATi decided to drink the KoolAid and cash the cheque and not publish drivers for their chipset and integrated video to run on 2K/XP. It can be coerced to load the video drivers on XP, but 2K is a bit more of a challenge. Anyway, AMDATi is a scumbag for wasting my time, and Ubuntu 7.10 earns a point for detecting the video system, installing drivers, and rebooting in the correct (1280x800/LCD-Hz) video mode.

...I have a feeling we might be just a couple AAA-titles-on-Linux away from seeing the *nixen become a viable gaming platform, which would make things interesting as far as the DX/OGL/Win-on-Lin-wrappers go. Lord knows I have no gumption to go as far as XP, moreless Longhorn, but I would tolerate an Ubu co-installation.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X