Win2K Pro or WinXP Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K Pro or WinXP Pro

Hi all, I'll be installing one of these OS' on my PC this weekend due to a hardware upgrade. (AXP 2500+ mobile, harddrive, DFI Infinity mobo)

I currently use Win2k Pro, and for the past few years have had no problems with it. However, I heard that the Athlon XP has optimizations for Windows XP, and runs faster than Win2k... Up until now I have always thought the 'Athlon XP' was merely a marketing tool AMD used to appeal to the general population who don't know any better. So if someone could dispell this rumor now, I'd appreciate it and stick with Win2K Pro. Otherwise, I'll give XP Pro a try..Hell I've had the CD for a long time now, but never felt the need to upgrade.
    |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Re: Win2K Pro or WinXP Pro

My windows XP is very stable with my xp2000+... but win2k did seem a little bit more stable, but XP does seem to run a little faster

Comment

XP boots much much faster than 2000 (save the jokes please). Since I don't like running my PC 24-7, this is a bonus. My boot time now is like 10-15 seconds to a working desktop. XP being the newest OS will be supported longer than 2000. It also has better driver support than 2k.

Note: you'd do good to get a legal copy or else stick with 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
        Hi all, I'll be installing one of these OS' on my PC this weekend due to a hardware upgrade. (AXP 2500+ mobile, harddrive, DFI Infinity mobo)

I currently use Win2k Pro, and for the past few years have had no problems with it. However, I heard that the Athlon XP has optimizations for Windows XP, and runs faster than Win2k... Up until now I have always thought the 'Athlon XP' was merely a marketing tool AMD used to appeal to the general population who don't know any better. So if someone could dispell this rumor now, I'd appreciate it and stick with Win2K Pro. Otherwise, I'll give XP Pro a try..Hell I've had the CD for a long time now, but never felt the need to upgrade.
        I would highly recommend to anyone starting with a fresh install to use WinXP Pro if you already own it. It's noticeably faster than Win2K and looks nicer, too. Quite a few new features built in to the OS as well as a much more efficient GUI.

I would not suggest anyone pay to upgrade from Win2K, though. Win2K is equally stable and almost as fast. It's just not worth the money for such a small upgrade, IMO.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Lol, I assure you guys, I have a legit, hologram XP Pro CD. A ways back, Microsoft was doing a business promotion to help push the new OS. You registered your business with MS for $50, and you got a whack of baseball stuff (bobblehead, MS baseball, etc..) and a full copy of XP Pro. For $50 I said 'hell yeah', and got my buddy to register his biz for me :)

The thing with XP I do not like, is the limited number of times one can use the key. I'll be altering my system configuration in the next week after the install, but people say each hardware change triggers a prompt to enter in the XP key, up to a maximum of 10 times and then you have to call MS??...

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
            The thing with XP I do not like, is the limited number of times one can use the key. I'll be altering my system configuration in the next week after the install, but people say each hardware change triggers a prompt to enter in the XP key, up to a maximum of 10 times and then you have to call MS??...
            Yeah, the activation sucks... But you only have to do it if you change a certain number of items in your computer. I understand it's a fairly painless process, even if it is annoying.

If you already have XP and are reformatting anyway, I'd definitely load XP Pro.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

5 changes in a rolling 6 month period to make it have to reactivate, 3 activations allowed in a year. I think.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Hmm, well the only big change I'm planning is a RAID configuration. Would a memory upgrade be considered a big change by XP? How about an additional HDD? I understand a new CPU, or motherboard...But things like a video card, sound card, etc... I hope those are excluded.

Comment

I've upgraded my memory several times with XP, and changed out a video card, new sound card, added a firewire card...
                  Never got prompted to activate again, or enter a license key. So I would guess those don't count.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X