software for toddlers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software for toddlers?

I know many of you have kids. I was wondering if any of you have some good ideas for software for toddlers, ages 3-5. My kids love computers, their parents love them too, so it makes sense. we have had little success for things they can do on the computer alone.

one great program is tuxpaint. http://www.tuxpaint.org/
    my daughter has used this since her 3rd birthday and loves it.

My daughter will be 5 in march and she is really getting bored with kiddy games, she cant read well, so she is frustrated by games for kids 6-7. its a tough age.

Anyone know of any software she may like?

She can play WOW and ETQW (sort of). She can move around the gameworld with WSAD and mouse. can click on stuff with the mouse quickly. I dont mind spending money for good software, but I cant seem to find anything for her, and I was hoping to get something fun for Christmas. Nothing too edu, just some fun stuff for her to play with. She loves WoW (she can farm gold with the best of them...), thinks etqw is boring (everyone’s a critic it seems...).

My son loves cars, any racing sim games you think a 3 year old could play? he can steer OK using keys, but crashes a lot, so something with a god mode hack would be perfect...

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Re: software for toddlers?

great thread... my son just turned 4 and is in the same boat. Right now he works the mouse in PoE2 single player, with me WASD'ing around :icon_lol:

When he plays by himself it's online games - there are a LOT of flash games out there. What's her favorite TV show? Go to the website and you're almost guaranteed to have a bunch of games/activites to do.

www.pbskids.org
    www.playhousedisney.com
    www.sproutonline.com
    www.noggin.com
    etc.

Another thing he likes to do is screw around with MSPaint :D Square tool, circle tool, easy access colors, and of course the paint-bucket is a favorite for oo's and ah's.

Comment

Like Whiskey posted all of those are great sites.

Also check out..

http://shop.knowledgeadventure.com/D...rt-Series.aspx

http://www.childrenssoftwareonline.com/

also both my kids ages 4 and 7 love to play with this stuff.

http://leapfrog.com/en/shop.html

B
      "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

There used to (probably still is) a series for each grade. I cant think of what it was. I had 1, 2, and 3.

Tonka games are awesome. I had a construction and the Rescue one.
        Skud

Comment

my son loves trucks. i will check out the tonka thing.

my kids learned to use a mouse in about 1 hour...

I have had college students that took longer to learn how to use a mouse...

Anyone have any experience with http://www.edubuntu.org/ ?

My kids are sick of noggin, pbskids, and nickalodian.

They still like
          http://www.uptoten.com/

the above site requres some navigation, but therre are some decent flash games.

part of the problem with flash games is the kids want to click all the links on the page, and sometimes, the games lack depth.

an ideal game for my son would be some simple racing game.

My daughter loves large 3d environments. she absolutley loves to walk around wow with her gnome (maddynoob) picking plants for herbalism.

It would be cool if I could find a solid 3d game but was geared for kids her age. she fully gets the wsad and mouselook control interface. she just likes to explore interesting places like that.

The problem is there is SO much crap out there...

I dont really care about the educational value of the software, I just want something fun for them. They learn plenty from thier parents (we are both college profs, so our kids are doomed to learn tons of useless crap...)

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have my 4-5 yoa daughter using Jumpstart World ..which is an EduTainment Game which then a subscription fee enables monthly downloads of content from Jumpstart. You, as the parent, will get emails now and then on their progress. The updates and such are automatic..and the computer needed is fairly low grade (no Crysis Card needed!). I'd say not bad.. Just need mouse skill..the program talks your child through the hoops...

Oh..also..don't have your Child Mouse around in ARMA... Seems they like to click the button while pointing at friendlies!!! Doh!
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

my daughter is a TK machine.... My son thinks the teamspeak window is a sorting program. he will drag and drop random people into channels... (I have TS admin rights...).

I still chuckle at thinking how zoopy felt after he was moved from the 7ths competition chan into the 8ths IHS chan...

Comment

starfall.com has been popular with my kids.
                clubpenguin.com is an MMO of sorts for kids, and they got good value out of it.

But now all of that has been eclipsed by their obsession with Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (and more recently 3). I have to give a big thumbs-up to the RCT games. The kids love building amusement parks and they actually get to learn something about the world while they play. If you want to make money, you have to make the guests happy, and that means you have to keep the park clean and safe, and you have to meet everyone's basic needs at a fair price. When the kids are working away at it, I can come in and give them some pointers, like "you need to lower your admission price", or "you need more maintenance men". The best part? RCT2 came in a cereal box! Thank you General Mills! :)
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Whatever happened to a box of crayons and a cardboard box?

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                  TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                  ||

Comment

good idea with the roller coaster tycoon. I play sim city with the kids sometimes, but they get kind of bored and demand mass destructions often...

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                      I have my 4-5 yoa daughter using Jumpstart World ..which is an EduTainment Game which then a subscription fee enables monthly downloads of content from Jumpstart. You, as the parent, will get emails now and then on their progress. The updates and such are automatic..and the computer needed is fairly low grade (no Crysis Card needed!). I'd say not bad.. Just need mouse skill..the program talks your child through the hoops...
                      this looks fantastic. thanks so much.

Comment

Regardless of the software you buy, you'll need the proper kid-friendly environment to run them all on. I use Peanut Butter PC. It allows my kids to run all their own programs and websites without my having to worry about them wiping out my files, or yelling for me every 10 minutes... Best investment I've made for my kids.

PeanutButterSoftware(dot)com

Comment

Originally posted by ThePenguineer View Post
                          Whatever happened to a box of crayons and a cardboard box?

Sigh. Rainy day fun.

My kids used to love Putt-Putt (the 2 diskette version...). Putt-Putt joins the parade.

Then, Rayman.

DB

That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom. Donrhos

| |

Comment

Hello,

Check these also:
                            • http://www.uptoten.com/
                            • http://www.funbrain.com/
                            • Lego Star Wars series
                            • Rayman series (as DB said)
                            • Earthworm Jim series
                            • Lion King, Hercules, etc. (I can't remember the title, something like "Classic Disney Kid Games" bundle. 5 or 6 classic games on a CD)

However, nothing can beat outdoor physical gaming with other kids.
                            sigpic
                            "All wars are fought for money" (Socrates, 470-399 BC)
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of the war" (Plato, 427-347 BC)
                            "We make war that we may live in peace" (Aristotle, 384-322 BC)

Comment

Both my "crumb snatchers" also like to play on www.webkinz.com. Granted you have to make a $5-$11 dollar investment in a plush toy, but the games are geared for kids and is like SIMS but for children. It teaches them about earning money and saving for purchases that they really want. Give it a look.
                              "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X