Monitor advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor advice?

Along with me getting a new vid card, i think i need a new monitor to go with it.

My monitor currently is a AccuSync 90... i think its around 19 inch im to lazy to actually measure but its close to that.

Now thats a decent size...but there are like... curving lines that are easily visible and they are starting to get worse and more noticable i think and its starting to annoy me, and the monitor is big and heavy as heck.

So im looking for an OK working, decent looking, (if possible) light/slim, on the cheap side, monitor, and at least 15 inches or bigger (i dont want to have it to much smaller as im used to a big monitor.

Any advice on what TYPE of monitor i should look for? i know to look at newegg and tigerdirect and those places but it seems TG gives me better options and advice than anywhere. so im open for ANY suggestions be it bad or good i just want a new monitor with those specifications i listed above or around them.

Please and thank you!

Soul
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: Monitor advice?

Brands I like:
    Envision
    Acer
    Dell
    HP

If you are going to buy a widescreen LCD, make sure the games you're playing will support it. For example, with BF2 you have to "force" widescreen. It's fine, but isnt as good as true widescreen.

You'll also want a high contrast ratio. 600:1 and up, I suppose. Most are at least 400:1 right?
    Skud

Comment

Gaming, you're gonna want get a monitor that has a response time under 8 ms, though I believe this may be the standard nowadays.

As for widescreen, do it and don't look back. Keep in mind the resolutions for WS monitors tend to be larger (19" WS is 1440 x 900 as opposed to 1280 x 1024), so hopefully your video card is up to this challenge.

I have a Viewsonic VA1912wb, and its treated me quite well. Viewsonic has been a good name for quite sometime, highly recommend mine.

LCDs are quite cheap nowadays and the size of them is great. Mine is about 10" deep (the base), the screen itself is probably 2-3" thick tops.

Comment

1440 x 900 is slightly lower resolution than 1280 x 1024... Multiplication?

Comment

Errr, my bad lol.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254001
            sigpic

Comment

Samsung and LG (owned by Samsung) make some of the best monitors for their price range.
              HP monitors are re-branded Samsung monitors.
              The high end Dell monitors are amazing, but pricey.

Stay away from Acer, Envision, and Gateway. I worked at CompUSA for 2 and a half years and those were our top 3 returned brands for monitors and our floor models from those brands had to be replaced constantly.

The top three specs you should look at for a gaming monitor are:
              Native Resolution (higher is better)
              Contrast Ratio (higher is better)
              Response Time (lower is better)

stay away from any monitor with less that a 700:1 contrast ratio and make sure your monitor's response time is less than 10ms or else you will see ghosting when there is lots of movement on the screen.

Resolution is dependant on your vid card, with an 8 or 7 series I would recommend 1240x1024 and up.

Apple Cinema displays are really not worth the price so stay away from them, if you want something in that range just get a Westinghouse LCD TV and use it on your computer instead.

Comment

Samsung does NOT own LG. Both are South Korean companies and share components, as all LCD manufacturers do, but they are seperate companies. Likewise, HP's monitors are NOT rebranded Samsungs. They use Samsung LCD panels but the internal electronics are completely different. Gateway makes great monitors and are consistently ranked among the highest in quality and customer satisfaction.
                sigpic

Comment

I hated my gateway, so did the many other people who bought them and returned them at my store.

Im drawing my information from 2 and a half years of experience dealing with the product and customer satisfaction with said product.

HP using Samsung LCD panels is still using Samsung LCD panels and therefor you are buying a Samsung monitor in an HP box.

I stand corrected about LG.

Comment

Sorry, but HP using Samsung panels does not make it a Samsung monitor. Samsung and LG are the two leading panel manufacturers in the world. Most other companies subcontract their panels to these two companies. Sony uses Samsung panels in many of their TVs. No other part of the electronics in the Sony LCD is made by Samsung and Sony LCDs tend to have better image quality than the Samsung parts because of their superior electronics. Just because Westinghouse may use a panel manufactured by LG, that doesn't mean that the rest of the parts in the device are comparable to those used in an actual LG branded unit. They are assembled in different factories using different parts.

(FYI, I have worked at a major electronics retailer for over four and a half years and have actually done a good deal of research outside of the (mis)information presented by vendors who show up to hawk their wares. I know that at my store, people have been extremely happy with Gateway monitors, somewhat pleased with Acer (and their new panels are absolutely stellar) and less than thrilled with Envision.)
                    sigpic

Comment

What's your price range? I just got a pretty nice 22" LCD for $200 from NewEgg. But if you're looking to spend less than $100 I'd look to craigslist or eBay for deals.
                      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Hmm, alright, thanks for the info, i was looking at that link buckets posted and thats a nice looking monitor, and ive been searching for samsung's and HP's as well, along with all the other brands to compare, i think i need to keep this thread saved, because i plan on getting a 8800 GT but idk if that will be possible, so i need to wait to see what vid card i AM getting, before i settle on a monitor, but thanks everyone ill definatley be keeping this thread in mind when searching for one, thanks.
                        "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

yeah i think my price range is quite low, considering for one, im 16 and almost nowhere is hiring, but christmas is right around the corner, so i think i can afford about 200$ max, maybe i can stretch 250.

Comment

Ah, I see. Well, if you can stretch to $250, I just got this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16824009094

It's a great piece of hardware, and it should come in at around $245 with shipping. I am loving it so far, and the image quality is better than the CRT i was using.

I understand how tough it can be to get cash flow as a teenager though, so I would recommend checking craigslist.org in your city to see if anyone is trying to offload a cheap monitor. I'd bet you could find a decent used 19" LCD for around $100 bucks there if you would like to go the flat-panel route, but then you don't get the nice warranty you get when buying new.
                            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I bought my 20.1" Viewsonic LCD a while ago now and had a hard time finding an LCD monitor I liked. I tried out a samsung that alot of people suggested, that had decent specs and was with in my price range. As soon as I got it home I was dissapointed in the contrast and color reproduction, over a week I tried to tweak the settings but had no luck. I took it back and finally after a good deal more searching found my Viewsonic that was dicontinued and hard to find in stock. My monitor has a different panel type then the majority of LCD's, it tends to produce better colors but has a responce time of 16ms. Most games are fine on it but the odd time in BF2 in dark areas I could see ghosting. I wouldn't trade my image quality for a faster responce and I'm a gamer first.

Bottom line, buy from a reputable company but try your best to see the monitor in person first. If not be sure that you can return the product for full refund. Where I bought the samsung from had no other monitors that fit my bill, a store credit would have been a waste. Good luck.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X