PNY vs XFX?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNY vs XFX?

So I'm finally speccing out my new rig, and I've hit a small hitch. I'm getting an 8800GT video card, but they're rare items at the moment.

I originally put this one from XFX on my list:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150252

The card is out of stock, but I was going to wait and place an order when more came in. However, today I noticed that this one from PNY was in stock:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133205

The cards should be the same specs, and the price is the same. This will be my first nVidia card, so I don't have a clue about the different distributors. Can anyone shed some light? It seems like the PNY is less popular, possibly more defects? Basically I'm wondering if I should wait as originally planned, or grab the PNY one now since it's in stock (and likely won't be for long).
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: PNY vs XFX?

I've owned card from both companies over the years. I've also had to return one card each to both manufacturers for warranty service. I find PNY slightly easier to deal with. They have very knowledgeable tech people on the phone end and quick turn around for the warrantied card. XFX has slightly less helpful people on the phone and longer turnaround times for warranty claims.

For the same money, go PNY.

Comment

It might be a slightly different model/variant, but I'd go with EVGA. That's what I have and the video's never given me any significant issues.

PNY is one of those names that doesn't register happy thoughts. I associate them with bad ram and media, though I do use their USB flash roms. Of course, they just assemble things, so quality is equal to how decent of a batch of components they bought that week.

Comment

I haven't heard anything extremely bad about PNY. It really doesn't matter which brand to buy unless you're concerned with warranties or freebie pack-ins. I think PNY has a 3 year warranty (5 if you register the product) compared to other companies that give lifetime warranties.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

There are rumors of a new stock cooling fan for reference design 8800GT.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=168200

Looks like it'll remain a single slot cooler, but with a larger fan. Which would mean more cooling for less noise.

Another thing to consider is that EVGA, the 8800GT brand I have. Has just released a new BIOS that spins the fan up faster in response to temperature increase than the stock BIOS. New EVGA 8800GT's will be released with the new BIOS already flashed.

The problem with the initial batch of 8800GT's is that the fan starts at 29% and won't spin up faster till the GPU core hits 90C. Apparently this was a decision by nvidia to keep the card quiet.

All things considered, I'd wait a few more weeks for everything to settle down. See if the new larger fan rumor is in fact a reality and that all reference designed 8800GT's will be getting the new fan.

Oh, and as far as build quality from different brands. I believe all of the initial run came from a single manufacturer cranking out the nvidia reference design. So the difference between brands will be warranty and support. The exception being Sparkle brand with their fanless 8800GT. I saw a review that said that thing hits 110+C under load .

Comment

imho, the only thing diff about those 2 cards is the sticker on the fan shroud... unless the card is manufacture-overclocked.. almost all cards these days are identicle brand vs brand with the exception of custom(from the brand) cooling and overclocking. they all pull the parts from the same assembly line
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Yea, just about every review on newegg for any of the 8800GT's complains that the card runs hot. The problem I face is that (aside from wanting my new system NOW, of course), the cards are hard to find. Even the PNY card that was in stock at the time of my post earlier is now out of stock. So I kinda feel like if I want one of these cards, I really need to grab it as soon as I see it. The only cards that seem to be reliably in stock are the overclocked ones, and I personally don't want an OC'd card. The other issue is that some of my components have good mail-in rebate offers that end within 2 weeks, and I'd like to take advantage (like my 2gig of Patriot RAM that costs $37 after the $40 rebate).

I'm vaguely concerned about heat issues, since my new system will be this card and a C2D 6850. I was going to buy a Soprano case from Thermaltake, but I don't think it's worth the $115 (not with the money I'm spending for everything else, at least). My current case is a semi-transparent black acryllic mid tower, with 3x 80mm fans (front/side intake, back exhaust), and the Antec 550W modular power supply I have in there also has a front intake rear exhaust to it. I figure the case will continue to do well, though I am ordering new blue LED fans to replace the red ones that are in there now. I don't think the system will be too hot, but the complaints about heat on the 8800GT's concerns me some.

I suppose with things going out of stock so fast, though, I'll have little to do but wait to see if nVidia presents a new cooling situation anyway.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

They're both good companies and they both offer a limited lifetime warranty on their products.

PNY used to be a big name back when I started building computers.

Also, most of the people who post reviews on NewEgg don't know half of what their talking about. And the complainers, just complain. Lot of times people aren't patient enough to figure out that they bought the wrong hardware, have a compatibility issue, or dropped their hardware one too many times and are quick to blame it on the product.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If your case has a side intake fan, it should provide adequate cooling for your video card. Go for it whenever you see it in stock again. You'll have that system ready for the holidays!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I agree with Sarc, sounds like your case has enough airflow to handle the 8800GT. Grab one when you see one.

Comment

I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket cooler in place of the reference fan/heatsink that comes with the 8800GT.

All temp readings taken at stock speeds.

Stock idle = 51
                      Stock load: = 75+
                      Keep in mind, I had a 92mm side fan blowing directly at the card.

Thermaltake DuOrb:
                      Idle = 35
                      Load = 47

Even after OC'ing to 675core/1950mem, load temps only went up to 48.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Thermaltake. This is just free advertising. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                        So I'm finally speccing out my new rig, and I've hit a small hitch. I'm getting an 8800GT video card, but they're rare items at the moment.

I originally put this one from XFX on my list:
                        http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150252

The card is out of stock, but I was going to wait and place an order when more came in. However, today I noticed that this one from PNY was in stock:
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133205

The cards should be the same specs, and the price is the same. This will be my first nVidia card, so I don't have a clue about the different distributors. Can anyone shed some light? It seems like the PNY is less popular, possibly more defects? Basically I'm wondering if I should wait as originally planned, or grab the PNY one now since it's in stock (and likely won't be for long).
                        Honestly I would go eVGA their step up program is phenomenal. I got my 8800GTX for $130 after I traded in my 7950GX2. They have the whole life time guarantee thing going on too.

Comment

I don't own any PNY cards, (MSI), but I do have some PNY usb flash drives from them and they're so far completely reliable.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X