90% sure i've destroyed windows...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90% sure i've destroyed windows...

Whilst trying to optomize P2P netwroking i read several reviews telling me to "hack" my max TCP connections via an executable file that could be downloaded from the various sites. Downloaded it and used it, set my max connections to 50 and clicked cancel on the windows secuity notification about editing files which could result in windows not working properly (as it said to on the various sites....) It then says i should restart my computer,rather than do so immediately i carry on browsing the internet for around an hour. After deciding i had done all i could do to increase my speeds i restarted my computer.

The computer started fine, got through the bios stage, image of windows appears and blue bars showing windows loading. Everything seemed to be normal. However, after the previous stage, instead of loading the Windows Users page my screen goes black and will go no further.

The HDD light is on as if it were still loading but after a while flickers on and off and then virtually stops illuminating altogether.

Any ideas?
    Smurfs law - Though Shalt back track wherever possible

Re: 90% sure i've destroyed windows...

ouch. Tried booting to safemode? (typically hold <F8> to get OS options screen from bios)

Comment

You should try to hit F8 before your computer starts to print your POST results. Otherwise you might miss your chance.

Whenever you "hack" one of your Windows .DLLs or .EXEs, you should always make a copy of it for backup purposes in case everything goes south.

If you can't boot into Safe Mode, I would suggest a Windows Repair. Load your Windows CD into your drive, reboot, wait for the blue screen to come up with options. Skip past the first option where you press (F8?) to perform a Windows repair via MS-DOS console and use the second one (if you're like me and can't remember the darn repair command).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've used TCPOptimizer and suffered no ill effects. Perhaps you could get it onto a Flash drive, boot to safe, run it, and give it a chance to fix your settings. It's worth an attempt.

Comment

Well F8 didnt give me the option to boot in safemode. But it did give me the order in which i wanted my drives to boot. Extremely helpful because my bios is passworded by whoever made it and i had no way of changing the boot sequence. I booted of my system backup disk and am reinstalling windows as we speak :P

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

No problem. A few BIOS sets use F8 to select boot device. On those, you must tap F8 a few times immediately after the POST-SUCCESS beep so the F8 key event will go to the Windows boot procedure and not to BIOS.

Comment

Honestly, if you're going to pirate anything...

Be patient. When I use torrents I dont care really how long it takes, because I'm getting what I'm downloading either for free or from the niceness of others.
              Skud

Comment

Well i was a little impatient because i had already downloaded the same files once before aa day earlier and deleted them because i didnt have the software to run the files and also didnt know what the software was that i needed. I found out roughly 3 hours after deleting them what software it was that i needed, needless to say i was a little pissed that i had to download it all over again.

Comment

Ok so repairing windows didnt work. I a now at the stage of reformatting my HDD and will install windows whenever that gets finished. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Well everything is reinstalled and ok. Apart from my mic, it is capturing sounds from my headphones but nothing else. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by broomish View Post
                      Well everything is reinstalled and ok. Apart from my mic, it is capturing sounds from my headphones but nothing else. Any ideas?
                      What? Run that by me again, because "mic...capturing sounds from my headphones..." doesn't make any sense to me.

If you've reformatted and such then any Windows problem should be resolved. Are you having other problems?

(Why is it people just mess with Windows for a insignificant boost to download speeds when it usually doesn't work for most people?)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Seriously, if i press my talk key and someone else is talking on team speak then people can hear their echo or any noise my headphones create. They just cant hear what i am saying. Also my average download speed (Via Firefox, not torrents) has dropped from 550KB to about 120KB.

Edit-I have just done the same speed test that i did last night. Last night my maximum Download speed was 580 KB per second. It is now 180KB per second. I am not downloading anything so i cant see what i have changed....

Comment

Originally posted by broomish View Post
                          Hmmm... double check that your mic input isn't your mic's speakers and your speakers your mic's input. Other than that just try messing with your input levels and such...

Comment

Everythign is working properly again now. DL speed is back up thanks to the DRTCP tool and my mic is working again thanks to thegreatnardini.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                              Honestly, if you're going to pirate anything...

Be patient. When I use torrents I dont care really how long it takes, because I'm getting what I'm downloading either for free or from the niceness of others.
                              Don't listen to him.

Speed kills.

Die young.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse