is vbulletin a good and easy program?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is vbulletin a good and easy program?

I've been KISSing... (Keeping it simple stupid,lol) and using Microsoft Frontpage for years to run my simple web site where i share screens, videos, and files... but was wondering if it was time to grow up to a proper web site program, I see alot of sites running vbulletin, is that a good and simple propgram...or is there a better one?
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: is vbulletin a good and easy program?

vBulletin is a forum program, not a 'website' program. There are mods like vbPortal that will make it a Content Management System. Otherwise, vBulletin costs money and there are free forum program alternatives and Content Management Systems if your site doesn't warrant $85 USD a year for a vBulletin license and whatever it costs to license vbPortal.
    The Dirty

Comment

I was always a fan of phpbb, its free and most webhost even have the ability to install it for you. Even installing by your self is as simple as uploading some files.

Comment

phpBB is horridly insecure, personally I would avoid that if at all possible.

You might want to take a look at something like Drupal or Joomla.

http://www.drupal.org
        http://www.joomla.org
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          phpBB is horridly insecure, personally I would avoid that if at all possible.

You might want to take a look at something like Drupal or Joomla.

http://www.drupal.org
          http://www.joomla.org
          They are still having those issues? hmm, I've not messed with it in a couple of years, I always liked the interface and such, I never had any problems back when I was running a MMO community. I do remember a few issues back then other people were having though.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
            They are still having those issues? hmm, I've not messed with it in a couple of years, I always liked the interface and such, I never had any problems back when I was running a MMO community. I do remember a few issues back then other people were having though.
            They still have issues. They are not as widespread and not as optimized for script kiddies, but I certainly wouldn't run phpBB or even allow it to be run a server I managed. When it comes to free forums software, you should check out SMF.

Comment

Too much work, guess with what I have... not pretty but easy. lol

Just thought to add more spice to the pages, but since 90% of the stuff i post is linked to forums like this, guess it don't need to be pretty. lol
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Magnum... could you get what you wanted out of something like Wordpress?
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

If you're not running anything too serious, phpBB should be good enough. If whatever you plan to do with the software is serious, then dish out the licensing fee for a copy of vBulletin.

phpBB 2.0.xx has spam registration issues that isn't being addressed. phpBB 3.x RCx is working out pretty nicely. I've been using it since beta on a community forum with about 100-200 users. I haven't encountered any spam registrations. Of course, I don't know of any other problems that phpBB might have. Perhaps Apophis could elaborate on what other issues that phpBB has that makes it so unworthy?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    If you're not running anything too serious, phpBB should be good enough. If whatever you plan to do with the software is serious, then dish out the licensing fee for a copy of vBulletin.

phpBB 2.0.xx has spam registration issues that isn't being addressed. phpBB 3.x RCx is working out pretty nicely. I've been using it since beta on a community forum with about 100-200 users. I haven't encountered any spam registrations. Of course, I don't know of any other problems that phpBB might have. Perhaps Apophis could elaborate on what other issues that phpBB has that makes it so unworthy?
                    Security issues are my concern, not spam issues. If I wanted my site/server to be easily compromised, I would run phpBB. There are still some core issues with the product that they have not yet addressed that cause these vulnerabilities.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X