Here's a puzzler:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a puzzler:

I have a home LAN and share my broadband across it, with one PC acting as a host. I haven't changed anything, and everything worked yesterday. Today DNS stopped working on the client computer, but other internet apps did work e.g. ICQ, MSN, IRC. I could connect to a website if I knew its IP. DNS worked on the host.

Disabling Zonealarm on the host fixed the problem.

My question is, why did zonealarm suddenly start blocking DNS and only DNS for the client? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Re: Here's a puzzler:

Have you installed SP2?

If so that could be the cause.
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Sounds like Zonealarm decided to block to DNS forwarder on your proxy PC. Could have been a bad sequence of packet's it viewed as a DNS DOS attack. Dunno off-hand.

Comment

2 Simple fixes:

1. Go buy a router with a built-in firewall so you don't have to put up with zone alarm (I've always hated ZoneAlarm, never given me anything but troubles)

2. Go to your local computer geek and ask him for an old 486/386 with 2 working network cards, and make it into a router (via software such as freesco or others... I can give you more names that do this, all for free, once I get home from work).

I personally preffer option 2, but am currently using option 1 since it gives me an access point at the same time.

Comment

I haven't installed SP2. I don't really want to start reworking the whole network Mito over this although I am sure I could find an old computer round here for option 2. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
          Wintermute

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
            Sounds like Zonealarm decided to block to DNS forwarder on your proxy PC. Could have been a bad sequence of packet's it viewed as a DNS DOS attack. Dunno off-hand.
            Bang on Fenix. It turns out that zonealarm is very agressive whilst it is loading and will block pretty much anything that happens. A DNS request must have been sent while it was still loading. To get round it I had to explicily trust the my ISP's DNS servers which isn't ideal, but then zonealarm is freeware.
            Wintermute

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X