MP4 / MP4V to AVI?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP4 / MP4V to AVI?

I did not want to derail Cingy's thread on DVD ripping and conversion to .MOV, so I've started this thread instead.

I have a few movies that I backed up onto my hard drive a while back and, for the life of me, saved them in .mp4 format (I can't find the original .vob files). I want to convert them over to .avi without a loss of AV sync. Does anyone know of a program that can do that besides VirtualDub (<< severely knows AV sync out of balance)?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: MP4 / MP4V to AVI?

I'd say use the program SUPER (there's no pun or relation to my avatar on that :)).

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

The webpage is really terrible. You really have to hunt for the download link, and when you find it, it just looks like another Google ad link. So, here's the direct link if you want it: http://www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe.

I know that the webpage looks iffy, but I assure you that it's a good, malware free program. This is THE video converstion tool for PC. For Mac, I'd say use VisualHub ($23).

You'll probably just have to play with the codecs and settings before you get it how you want it.

Comment

I already have the frontend SUPER. It always returns an "unknown" error when I try to convert MP4 files into anything else. I don't know why and my question about it on the SUPER forum have gone unanswered.

I guess I'll post an update as well. I went around searching again, and for was suggested to use WinFF's frontend for ffmpeg to try and convert it. Again, I ran into the same problem. The AV sync was off. I'm playing around with the settings, so hoping this second run through will result in the correct AV sync or I'm going to totally give up on trying to convert my backed up movies.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

would this SUPER be good for converting AVI'S to other formats (aka for my zune)?
        Skud

Comment

Yes. It is just a frontend GUI that uses FFMPEG to do the video encoding (or reencoding). It can also take DVD rips (.VOB files) and convert them into AVI as well, although I haven't tried since I don't have any vobs on my hard drive.

Hmm, well another update.

It seems WinFF is doing something wrong. My converted videos are now degraded. Let me try and explain... There is a lack of sound. The picture will blank to black or pixelate into large white squares as if it was some really old film with bad parts trying to play. I'm going to give this one last try by using ffmpeg's command line interface.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

auto gordian knot

I have used this in the past with great results. It takes a long time but size to quality ratio is outstanding.

but I would look into the codec as the source of the trouble. The programs are merely front ends, and therefore just take a gui input and convert it to a command line prompt for the codec. I know early xvid codecs did not play well with certain AC3's and mp2 codecs. maybe there is a conflict on the ffmpeg codec.

And another suggestion: I cannot say enough for AVS video converter. If you can play it, it can convert it. great results and easy interface.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Hmm, actually I ended up getting a reply to one of my questions on WinFF's forum. The author suggested that I convert it over to NTSC DVD first (MPEG2) before converting it to AVI. I'm going to give that a try when I have a good day or so to convert my video.

I'll also look into your two suggestions Dog. :)

Edit Update:

First one, the AutoGK: this doesn't accept mp4 input. So I'd still need to find something to convert it over to a inputtable format.

Second one, AVS Video Converter: Shareware for 30 days and costs $40 per year for the product. I still don't think the converter is worth $40. The package includes a video cutting program (I have a open source one), a DVD ripping program (have several free and open source ones), a DVD burning program (already have a free one), and several other tools I can get for free.

Although, it can convert using several different formats as inputs out to several different formats. I'm concerned about AV sync. If my conversions are synced, then it would be a waste of $40 if I do end up buying it.

I'll try it again with FFMPEG by converting into NTSC DVD first.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I do understand the 40 dollars is a downfall, but it is a one time thing, not every year. I have owned the software for 3 years, and I use it for work all the time and I can assure you, it is worth the money though. You get free upgrades for life too.

the problem with your intended path is that you are going from one compressed format to another just to get to another. You will certainly lose quality during the process. I have done the research several times and there is a reason I spent the money.

enough of the commercial though. If you have to convert 2 times, I would go to uncompressed AVI. remember, the source was compressed too.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                  I do understand the 40 dollars is a downfall, but it is a one time thing, not every year. I have owned the software for 3 years, and I use it for work all the time and I can assure you, it is worth the money though. You get free upgrades for life too.
                  No free upgrades, and an extra $6 to be able to re-download it from them for a year in the event that you reformat or whatever...

I went ahead and bought it anyway. I want to put some of my iPod videos on my kid's Sansa before xmas...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

really, I went here to redownload it for free.... what site are you guys going to?

http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/index.aspx is where you should be.....

Comment

really, I went here to redownload it for free.... what site are you guys going to?

http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/index.aspx is where you should be.....
                      I see what you're saying, but when you purchase it, it specifically says that the license is only good for the version that you download from the link that they give you, and that it's an extra six bucks for them to keep your download files available for a year.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

really, I redownload the newest version every month or two... and maybe I got the upgrade to 5.x b/c of vista, but I bought 4.x version and use the current one.

weird that they would have such a difference in policy on the download page and the purchase page.

Comment

weird that they would have such a difference in policy on the download page and the purchase page.
                          I think they're simply reserving the right to not support anything other than the version you've purchased. Seems reasonable to me...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            I think they're simply reserving the right to not support anything other than the version you've purchased. Seems reasonable to me...
                            true... now here is the question....

does it perform as I well as I proclaim, or is there something you know of that does a better job. I ask because I really want the best tool for my toolbox, regardless of cost or origin.

Comment

true... now here is the question....

does it perform as I well as I proclaim, or is there something you know of that does a better job. I ask because I really want the best tool for my toolbox, regardless of cost or origin.
                              I haven't really got a chance to play with it. It did successfully convert an mp4 to an avi that my son's Sansa could then convert. I really wish that I knew how to convert directly to the format that the Sansa uses, but I think it might be proprietary...
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X