the spider program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the spider program

I understand that AMD has releasaed the Phenom quad core cpu for the AM2 socket and the CrossfireX system and the Radeon 3850. Can anyone tell me about it- what does it do? Why are they releasing a quad core for the dying AM2 socket- socket F (1207) with the 2 quad cpu capabilities made for home hardcore gaming (especialy with the multicard gpu's)?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: the spider program

The obvious reason as to why AMD would release for a "older" socket is that they plan on capturing some of the mid-range and budget end market share before Intel completely dominates that sector. Think money.

As for the other parts, I don't know. I haven't looked at any of the Radeon 3xxx's at all or the new Crossfire card system. They're probably aiming to challenge nVidia's 8800 line of cards and recapture the lead.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

tell me more on cross fire cards if you would...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I may have read wrong but I was under the impression the Phenom processors will not work with the dual processor boards Socket F to make a 8 core computer. The Socket F can only support 2 dual core processors at the moment but AMD was still working on it and hoping for 8 cores of processing power shortly.
        The reviews I have read about the Phenom 9500 was comparable to Intels E6600 dual cores and the Q6600. Both Intel processors performed better than the Phenom on most task. The review later stated that for the Phenom's 8% cheaper price was not worth the wait for the release and the performance over Intel. The Phenom 9500 was a BIG disappointment.

I do not know to much about ATI's crossfire technology. Maybe someone else can answer this question better. What I understand is you chose one card and then the second card you chose has to be compatible but not the same exact card as the first. They get connected together and is supposed to improve quality and performance.

I myself am partial to Intel and Nvidia for now. You know Intel is releasing the 45nm processors shortly(January what I had read, one has already been released though) and Nvidia has rumored to be releasing their 9xxx series cards some time soon as well.
        Almost can bet they will beat AMD and ATI. They really need to do some stepping up to beat AMD and ATI right now and they have no prospect of releasing anything soon that should do that.

Comment

well, the new home gaming rig boards with AMD's twin cpu board design are very crazy- in a good way. Seriously, what I have heard was that AMD's current F socket CPUs are to be replaced by a type of F socket quad core with an incorporated supplementary graphics processor- this rumored quad core with an integrated gpu has been mentioned by different magazines. It has the potential to destroy Intel if Intel's 45 nm chips are not quite up to snuff.

Comment

Another rumor I had read was Intel was already researching a 4x4 motherboard that will also be dual processors to make it 8-cores. The article I read a long time ago about that had also stated that by the end of '08 Intel might have released the motherboard.
            Another article read that Intel isn't going for the dual processor board but jumping straight to an 8-core single die processor hopefully in the 32nm range.
            As I said, these were runors I had read so have no real idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
              tell me more on cross fire cards if you would...
              I had a cross-fire set-up for a while. Briefly:

pros: you can crank up the eye candy at high resolutions.
              cons: texture memory is limited to the smallest card; ie 2 x256Mb cards will not allow you to load more texture data since both cards need all the texture information. Yet, you use up 2x256Mb of memory adressing space.

Ferris runs a cross-fire set-up so he might chime in (and brag about his uber rig :madsmile:)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Hmm I heard AMD is going to try "Tri-core".

Comment

Crossfire is basically the same as SLI, allowing you to plug in two cards and use them both simultaneously. And yes, the cards can be exactly the same. I run 2 Radeon X1950 Pro XTX 512LE's and nothing I have runs crappy. As far as what DB said, it's absolutley true until you break the 256mb threshold on a single card, and then you start seeing the performance improve dramatically as the computer can respond to the texture memory of both cards at the same time. The reason this system wasnt as popular as the nvidia SLI system is because it was designed with super-high end cards and people with mis-matched sets in mind (which at the time was a very small market), but now that anyone with less than a 256mb card is obsolete, we're probably going to see a significant increase in it's viability.

As far as the processors go, I dont know about AMD's plans, but I use a quad-core pentium (QX6700 Kentsfield XE) and it has been worth every penny I paid for it. There, I have now satisfied DB by bragging about my steel and silicone monster. :D

EDIT for DB: 8GB. 4x500gb HDs...yes, I have 2 terrabytes of hard drive space. I use less than 10% of it. Next stop: 60" plasma HD display so I can shoot people in BF2 at actual human size.
                  Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    There, I have now satisfied DB by bragging about my steel and silicone monster. :D
                    Not quite. You forgot to mention how much ram you have :D

Come on, edit that post!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

His rig is just a disgusting monster. Infact, we're not even talking to him- We're talking to the monster.
                      Skud

Comment

ha... ha ha ha........ well, those crossfire boards I hear can support over 3 cards depending what board- if you can find it- and how much cash you have....

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                          ha... ha ha ha........ well, those crossfire boards I hear can support over 3 cards depending what board- if you can find it- and how much cash you have....
                          2 gpus for graphics. 1 for physics (eventually).

DB

| |

Comment

well, I heard and have seen a board at E3 that had 3 radeons running, but I have never seen the board on market.

The AMD 4X4 is the new replacement for AMD's AM2 socket.

Dick, it is possible to run multiple (more than 2) graphics cards.

Which is better- SLI or Crossfire?

Should one go with AMD or Intel these days and wher can you get some good prices on parts?

Comment

Unless you have the money to build, as skud put it, a disgusting monster, I recommend going with SLI. However, keep in mind that neither is going to be an issue unless you can afford a mobo that will support 2+ cards and the cards themselves. To put it plainly: uless you have 1000-2000 bucks to spend, just get the one card you want and dont sweat crossfire or SLI.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X