Cheap/good vid card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap/good vid card

Alright, I was looking around but i can't really seem to figure out the specs on the vid cards, so i need TG's help.

I'm looking into buying a Video card that can play Counter-Strike:Source on High detail, and play with no lag, as well as be able to play the newer games coming out/already out such as CoD4 and Star Craft 2, and be able to play them on low/medium with no lag. right now my Radeon 9550 lags me bad everytime i turn a corner on CSS on high, so i know i wont be able to play CoD4 or starcraft 2 when that comes out.

For christmas ill be able to afford one, but only about 100-150 dollars.

Can anyone help me on finding a card that can do what i explained above? and for the price range i listed?

Please and thank you.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: Cheap/good vid card

I suspect you have an agp slot. I would search for these at newegg.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/tp/AGPVideo.htm

You may be bottlenecked ultimately by your processor, and you may need a different power supply for the card you choose.

What are you system specs?

Comment

Here is a great site for comparing cards.

www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

You can pick two cards to compare side by side to see how they stack up. I would be sure to search for some benchmarks as well for what ever card your after. I would suggest a 7900GT or GS or a ATI 1950 something.

You might want to consider saving up for a little longer and getting a new mobo, ram, psu, cpu and a pci-e video card. I know it's alot but putting $150 into agp seems like a bit of a waiste. You could probably do all the above minus a video card for $250-$350 depending on the cpu. DDR2 is dirt cheap right now, you can get solid motherboards for $100, if you grab a cheap core2due (used possibly) you're in buisness. That would open up alot of doors for video cards and you could upgrade down the road for a year or two.

Comment

cheap and good rarely find their way into the same sentence when it comes to video cards :P

You can play those games well on a 7 series Nvidia card, the 7600s are in your price range iirc.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130099
        I would grab that one, especially since its eVGA, they have a wonderful lifetime garrante and a great step up program that lets you trade that card in for an upgrade using that card as credit towards the upgrade. I got my 8800GTX for $130 after I sent in my 7950GX2.

Comment

theres a 7900 GS for agp now i hear

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
          Delta MICS
          Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

I'm also looking for a new graphics card, I have a GeForce FX 5200 (128MB) at the moment, and my FPS on BF2142 on the TG servers when full is terrible, and I think it's about time I got a new card. I'm looking at 50 or under (roughly $100), and I don't need to play on high graphics settings; medium or low if fine, but I just want a higher FPS.

I'm thinking early 7 series?

(Btw, how can you find out if your machine is PCI Express or IGU?)
            Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Here is what the connector looks like:
              [media]http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/expressguide1.jpg[/media]

and on the mother board side:
              [media]http://www.viaarena.com/images/articles/3/watermarks/AGP_PCIe%20028.jpg[/media]
              Brown = AGP
              Black = PCIE
              WHite=PCI

Comment

Yea, thanks for the help (I would +rep but for some reason, I can't +rep, the button for +repping people is gone, I can only report posts for some reason...) my pro-computer-hacker cousin just told me what to look for and how and what to open it up with (but this very much helps, thanks, (and I guess I got that IGU=AGP thing wrong right... I just new there was a G in the middle and guessed the other 2. IGU just sounded right, lol))...it's gonna be a long night.
                Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X