Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing OS without formatting HDD?

Ok, so my predicament is as follows:

I have a Vaio, with Windows Media Center Edition 2004 (yes I have a 3, soon to be 4, year old system :row__522: ) Now my issue with it is, as I have JUST found out, that Windows Media Player 11, will not install on anything preceding MCE 2005, which just plain sucks.
    [The reason why I need WMP 11 though, is because I recently bought a Zune, that apparently requires it, and/or MCE 2005, in order to install the software to activate it and run it.]

So, Im planning to get MCE 2005, however I dont know If I can install the OS without formatting my HDD. The reason why I dont want to format my HD is because I have over 200gb (and counting) of data on it (with not much space left), and theres no way that Im going to spend the time necessary to back it up, and reinstall all of it, if I were to format.

However I was also wondering about buying the OEM MCE 2005, along with a new (nearly identical to my current) HDD, which would turn out cheaper (and solve my dwindling space problem), I think. But it raises more questions. Like: If I were to install it onto the new HDD, cleanly, would the new HDD have to be the master, and would it apply to the current HDD being the slave? Or would I have to install over my current HDD, with the new HDD as the slave?
    And, If I have to install over my current HDD, would I need to format?

Im only somewhat above average in my understanding of computers, and most of what I know Ive either learned from googling, or wikipedia :row__735:

If Ive missed any info that you might need to help me, then let me know what it is.
    Focused

Re: Changing OS without formatting HDD?

I was unaware that there were two different MCE Editions.... Won't 2004 Patch up to 2005.?

As for a New OS..you could always have a multiple OS Boot Option... It should be as simple as booting with the New OS CD..and installing into a new Windows Directory (or creating a New Partition with something like Partition Magic or a freebie GPARTED...and putting it in there..)..

But you could install over the old OS (nuke the Windows Directory)..but you will not have have access to your "Installed programs" from your old OS...

But to be honest.. the best thing to do with a new OS is to Wipe the drive and start clean... Once a year it should be done anyways.. just to keep the machine running nice and smoothly... I can't images the eventual problems that might happen with two Windows OS's on the same drive..
    (sorry..I haven't had any coffee and It's early...)
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

According to this article you can't really upgrade from 2004 to 2005...

http://www.edbott.com/mediacenter/ar...4-to-mce-2005/

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136132
        sigpic

Comment

I have thought about a large external drive, however, Im not sure about being able to access all of my media from my current hard drive on an OS booted from an external drive. (If it even possible to purchase the OEM version for an external drive.)
          Focused

Comment

I would look into vista home premium instead. you can turn off all the candy if you want to, but the media center interface is vastly improved. It also supports more tv tuners than mce05. If you want to go to ATSC, I think it might be a better choice, plus, mce2005 loses support from microsoft in 09. remember that mce is just xp pro with more stuff.

also, if you can get your hands on a bootleg mce05, it would be completely legal to use your legit COA and key code to install the 05 version. MCE is MCE and the key is valid and legal. the EULA does not care where you get the media from, just that the key code, COA, and license are valid.

who made the computer? If its a dell, a MCE05 media disk should be very easy to come by.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire View Post
              I have thought about a large external drive, however, Im not sure about being able to access all of my media from my current hard drive on an OS booted from an external drive. (If it even possible to purchase the OEM version for an external drive.)
              I was thinking more along the lines of moving the media onto the external drive and wiping your internal. You're going to lose all of that stuff eventually if you don't back it up.
              sigpic

Comment

For just testing, buy another drive, unplug the old one, plug the new one in and load the test OS on that.

If you need both OS to be accessible, put the second one on as a slave (or on the second drive controller) and set up dual-boot.

Alas, Windows won't let you make a single drive "D:" or you could test-install that way and then later add it as a second drive to an existing system.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X