Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Help..again.

Hey there, its me again.

I've been looking around at some video cards and (if they will still be on sale within a week) I found two nice ones which i thought i couldnt afford but turns out they are in my price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130085

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130085

They are both the same it looks like, just different brand, the EVGA has a better rating thatn the XFX too tho.

which one should i look at getting between them?

Also:

I noticed they say PCI Express x16

Im guessing that means i need a motherboard that supports PCI Express?
    I don't know what my motherboard currently is, so if someone could give me the link or advise me on what kind of PCI motherboard i should look at getting to go along with that Vid card.

My mom has agreed to go within 100-150 dollars for my X-Mas gift (the vid card) so i know i can get it, but idk how much i can afford after x-mas for a motherboard, so something on the cheaper side but able to handle that vid card. and if i may need a new power supply which i was adivsed i might need let me know cuz i dont wanna get all this and figure out i still need something.

thank you all i really appreciate all your guys' help.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: Video Card Help..again.

http://www.diamondmm.com/howtobuyvideocard.php
    Has a diagram of the three form factors.

PCI has been around forever. AGP was a new-hotness for video only. PCI Express is an update to the 100-years-old PCI design, that happens to accomodate video cards, too.

Everything went PCI-E overnight, so AGP is old-and-busted and you won't find much that doesn't suck for the slot anymore. Let's hear it for being forced to build a whole new system. :D

Comment

Ok, that cleared some stuff up for me thanks.

Also, i was looking for one on newegg that has the PCI - exrpress port, and i found one, is about 65 bucks, is this motherboard good or bad?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188023
      "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

Originally posted by Soulja View Post
        Ok, that cleared some stuff up for me thanks.

Also, i was looking for one on newegg that has the PCI - exrpress port, and i found one, is about 65 bucks, is this motherboard good or bad?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188023
        I doubt you want micro-ATX if you are fitting it in existing case, unless you are certain you are using a small form factor PC.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm on EVGA's 680i Nvidia chipset offering; all and all I give it a 9.6. My only complaints are that one more PCI slot would've rocked, and when it gets hot the PS2 port freaks out and emits keyboard beeps, dropping input and causing keys to think they're stuck down making my Mr. Gun Dood run out from cover once in a while. I 99% fixed it with a proper fan configuration and by turning off the system beep effect in Windows, and if I cared enough to change the goo on the northbridge heatsink it'd probably be 100% gone, but stock performance is what we grade on.

EVGA's a nice brand because they don't retract their warranty if you change your paste out. (At least on video cards, I hadn't checked the mobo legal docs)

Comment

well, im realy not smart with comp tech so if getting that motherboard is a bad idea, what shouldi get?

Comment

This sounds like it's turning into a "build me a computer" thread. In which case, specify what hardware you have on hand and your budget and maybe you'll get a list of newegg links to everything you need.

Comment

Well, i was only hoping to buy that vid card above, and a motherboard to use with it, nothing else, if there is other things i will need then ill just forget about this all cuz i only have about 150-200 to spend.

Comment

What hardware i have, well, I have... a AGP motherboard, Radeon 9550 vid card, intel pentium 3 proccessor 3. something GHz, 1G RAM, and i dont know what kind of power supply.

EDIT: I found the box for my motherboard:

It's an MSI V Class...idk what that means.
                  edit again: It says its a Mirco-ATX Mainboard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulja View Post
                    It's an MSI V Class...idk what that means.
                    edit again: It says its a Mirco-ATX Mainboard as well.
                    Welp, sounds like you picked the right size. Dunno much more about it.
                    sigpic

Comment

If you're on Micro then stick with that and you don't need to buy a case. However, cases are cheap and shouldn't make or break your buying decision unless the size of the box truly matters.

You can't get away with just changing motherboard, most likely. The way it works is your motherboard dictates your CPU and your RAM, so often you must change all three out together. Thanks to the change in video adapters, AGP video cards are now locked into the AGP era, so they're only good for old/backup systems. Getting a PCIE mobo for the sake of a current video card is probably not going to support anything old. Which puts you into the new CPU boat.

HOWEVER, since we're talking about Source games, it is important for you to remember that Source performance bottlenecks on CPU before it bottlenecks on Video. My old system, a P4-3GHz with Radeon 9800 could push plenty of video, but the processor was dying a horrible death in large servers because of Source's god-awful animation overhead. I'm now on a 6600/C2D and my FPS is much improved because of processor, not because of video -- the new video card just makes things prettier.

You might consider getting the best AGP-supporting mobo and CPU you can find. However, you're still going to be paying more for less in the long run than just saving up and building a system later on. The next wave of hardware is coming within the next six months, I hear.

Comment

All i know is that if i wanna get that 8600 card i need that motherboard i linked, i can go to 100 dollars for one but by the look of it that 65 dollar one looks pretty nice. but again, i dont know anything about this so thats why i came to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                          You might consider getting the best AGP-supporting mobo and CPU you can find.
                          But i was first looking at a new vid card, and if i would to get that PCI-E one, wouldnt i want a PCI-E mobo?

i can look into maybe bribing my mom into getting me a CPU for the PCI-E, if i get the mobo, vid card, and look into a new CPU for it, would that be enough to run them?

Comment

I just wanna let everyone know, that you guys are helping me out soo much and i really appreciate it, thanks

now, i was looking around at New Egg, and i won't be able to afford a new CPU soon, so i just need to know now:

If, I buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130085

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188023

Will my computer good? and will my current CPU (Intel Proccessor pentium 4 3.4 ghz) be able to work in the mainboard or will i absolutley NEED to get a new CPU?

All im really looking for is a decent vid card that can play all games out now on at least low settings and play fine, or decent enough to play some new games at low settings fine, and at the look of the 8600, i will have the ability to play all games out, but i need that mainboard to fit it, so what im basically asking is, it is absolutley neccessary to get a new CPU or will my current one work fine with the new mainboard/vid card?

please and thank you all so much.

Comment

The second link seems broken.

You need to let us know what 'socket' your existing CPU uses before you'll know if that processor will work with the mainboard.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X