Quick but desperately needed help with connector

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick but desperately needed help with connector

This is the system I currently have. I did buy it ages ago, and have updated RAM to 2 gig, have a different, very pretty, monitor, and keyboard, and a better printer.

It's good, apart from it's not great for gaming, which doesn't make me happy.

What will make me happy is getting the nVidia 8600GT. However, as a couple of you may have read already on different threads, I'm not sure what connector I have (PCI, AGP etc.). I'm anxious to open it up and find out because, if I get it wrong...well...not only will I lose my precious computer with ALL OF MY STUFF ON IT, but I'll get killed by other users of this computer, because it has all of their stuff on it.

However, I'm getting a couple of cousin's round on Christmas time and am going to force them to open up my computer because they are quite expert at this. I would rather have my graphics card by then, so when they open it up, it's no to find out my connector, it's to put the new card in, because otherwise, I'll probably have to wait another few months till I see them again, and I'll probably be tempted to open it up to get that amazing power. I'll ruin my computer and be murdered while I'm trying to commit suicide; si I'm keen to order it ASAP.

I have looked everywhere for product details and information from the emachines website, which is quite useless for providing product details for this computer.

I'm hoping someone else has this computer or is in a position to find out about the connector? Whether you know a website or something? I'm looking around but can't find the info., I can only find computers using the 820 processor when I google it but the whole model is the 820 base unit.

Edit: 1GB of RAM
    Last edited by SharinganTH1422; 12-19-2007, 07:28 PM.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: Quick but desperately needed help with connector

i would say that you have a pci slots. Its difficult to tell though, i've seen the card in both agp and pci.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_FX_Series

The above is information on your current graphics card. The trick here is to determine whether or not your running on AGP or PCI. my guess here is your eMachines is running on PCI, not to be confused with PCIe, PCIe 2.0. AGP, AGP 4x, or AGP 8x.

What this means is you'll need to look for a PCI based graphics card. And I'm just guessing here from the product description. What you really need to do is open up your device manager on windows and find out what main-board interface (AGP or PCI) your 5200 is using.

Unfortunately for you though, there is no chance of upgrading to a 8 series video card :/
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I would guess it's onboard AGP. Vanilla PCI for VGA hasn't been used in YEARS and you'd be hard pressed to find any decent PCI card.

*Edit*
        Also, you may want to ensure that your PSU (power supply) has enough juice to support the newer cards before you go spending any money.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
          i would say that you have a pci slots. Its difficult to tell though, i've seen the card in both agp and pci.
          Understood.

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_FX_Series

The above is information on your current graphics card. The trick here is to determine whether or not your running on AGP or PCI. my guess here is your eMachines is running on PCI, not to be confused with PCIe, PCIe 2.0. AGP, AGP 4x, or AGP 8x.

What this means is you'll need to look for a PCI based graphics card. And I'm just guessing here from the product description. What you really need to do is open up your device manager on windows and find out what main-board interface (AGP or PCI) your 5200 is using.

Unfortunately for you though, there is no chance of upgrading to a 8 series video card :/
          OK, I'll find the device manager when I'm free (which is tomorrow (and about frickin' time, I feel dead)) but I don't get why I won't be able ot get an 8 series. What would I need to change on my computer.

Originally posted by Lorax74 View Post
          I would guess it's onboard AGP. Vanilla PCI for VGA hasn't been used in YEARS and you'd be hard pressed to find any decent PCI card.

*Edit*
          Also, you may want to ensure that your PSU (power supply) has enough juice to support the newer cards before you go spending any money.
          By the first part do you mean the card already in the machine is AGP? Because this machine is a few years old so...

Yes, I have also heard of this problem, thanks for putting it to the forefront of my mind, I won't forget it. (btw, how can I find what power supply I have, or does that require opening up I'm guessing, right?)

Edit: OMG, I am just so damn stupid, I mean I gave you this site and I didn't even see this until now http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...-base-unit.asp

It says 3 PCI slots!!!!

OK, I'm guessing this changes some stuff, right?

(P.S. Rincewind, if it's not too much trouble I would still like to have that device manager thing just to make sure, because I don't want to risk anything, just in case that is not the case with my computer, thanks...)

Thanks for the info. people.

Comment

You said Emachine? What is the model number..example T3256.
            sigpic
            *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

It's just the 820 base unit, (the one you see in the link(s) is the exact machine I've got)

I'm pretty sure there isn't any model number, I think it's just the 820 base unit.

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
                It's just the 820 base unit, (the one you see in the link(s) is the exact machine I've got)

I'm pretty sure there isn't any model number, I think it's just the 820 base unit.
                This unit uses a trigem ALASKA 3 motherboard, a copy of an Intel mobo. Seems like it only has 3 PCI slots.

Some options for you here.

The x1550 pro comes in PCI

And if you prefer nvidia

DB
                Last edited by Dick Blonov; 12-19-2007, 08:54 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You don't understand how much that is a appreciated, thanks a HUGE amount, really DB.

(WHERE IS THE DAMN +REP BUTTON SERIOUSLY, I'M GONNA CONTACT AN ADMIN)

(btw, the ati one looks best, thanks for considering the nVidia one, its just nVidia is all I've ever known lol.)

(I might also have to consider getting a new PSU after I've seen the specs, I've only glanced at it, big last day tomorrow and I need some sleep).

Comment

Yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to get a new, better power supply. You don't want to fry the computer. When I got a new graphics card (coming from just integrated), I was totally comfortable installing the graphics card, but not the new power supply. I got my friend to do it. Just food for thought.

Newegg.com is a good place to buy stuff like this from. Read the user reviews.

Comment

For the price of a new graphics card and PSU, you may be only a few dollars shy of the cost of a newer machine. Consider what the cost of everything is vs the cost of a new rig.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
                        You don't understand how much that is a appreciated, thanks a HUGE amount, really DB.
                        DB = Link Master :row__577:

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                        TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                        ||

Comment

You have a AGP slot.

I'm not sure where you guys get a 5200 in PCI-E, but that card went out as "ancient" when the 5900 was crowned king years ago.

All in all, that means do not buy the 8600GT since you will not have the correct slot to install it.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just to clarify, they said he had PCI, not PCIe...

- -

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                              Yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to get a new, better power supply. You don't want to fry the computer. When I got a new graphics card (coming from just integrated), I was totally comfortable installing the graphics card, but not the new power supply. I got my friend to do it. Just food for thought.

Newegg.com is a good place to buy stuff like this from. Read the user reviews.
                              Well I'm not sure what my power supply is, I'll try and find out and see...

For the price of a new graphics card and PSU, you may be only a few dollars shy of the cost of a newer machine. Consider what the cost of everything is vs the cost of a new rig.
                              Well the graphics card will only cost me about £50-£60 right? A new PSU will cost about £70-80 right? And a new machine would cost about...well I'm not sure about that, but I'm guessing it's quite a bit above £120-140 right? Unless I'm missing something...

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              You have a AGP slot.

I'm not sure where you guys get a 5200 in PCI-E, but that card went out as "ancient" when the 5900 was crowned king years ago.

All in all, that means do not buy the 8600GT since you will not have the correct slot to install it.
                              Just to clarify, they said he had PCI, not PCIe...
                              Yes, it's a PCI, not only because of the helpful guys on here, but I have also since found a lot of evidence. I'm 99% sure (hey you can't be 100% sure about anything...it may all be a dream dudes :p)

OK, understood, no 8600GT for me :(

But the ATI Radeon 1550 (suggested by DB) looks good enough definitely, whether it's PCI, I'm not sure.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X