19-inch monitor advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19-inch monitor advice

I'm looking to ditch my old 17-inch CRT (had it for 10 years!) and pickup a standard 19-inch LCD monitor (no widescreen).

Any help would be great, I can't seem to find an up to date thorough review of what's on the market. I primarily game with my PC so picture quality and performance in games is most important.

Re: 19-inch monitor advice

Wait till after x-mas and pick up a 22" widescreen. 19" gets old real fast as you cant push your video cards with it.

Currently, there are some pretty good deals on NICE 22" screens that arent much more money then a good 19".

And always remember, size and resolution are always more important than performance.

Comment

I have a 19" Samsung 940b. Not sure you can still find them in store. The Dell ultrasharp monitors are also good (bought a 17" for my son). I guess the 19 inchers are as good.

DB
      Last edited by Dick Blonov; 12-20-2007, 08:17 PM. Reason: wrong link

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=341471

Samsung Syncmaster 971p, I owned 2 of these monitors and they were amazing. I traded them both in for a 24 inch LG that does 1080p, but if I would still be using them if I hadn't been able to trade them in for my current monitor.

Comment

I had a Dell 19" ultrasharp and loved it.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

If you dont want a widescreen and HAVE to have 19", I can recommend the Envision 19" I got mine dirt cheap from CompUSA (hurry up and buy one before they close). The picture quality is fine (not the greatest) and the screen rotates, tilts, and raises/lowers. It also comes with speakers and pen/pencil holders, along with an accessory tray.

But again, if you can get a bigger monitor for the same money, obviously go for it. My 22" widescreen actually has better vertical resolution then my 19" full-screen. The Samsungs are nice, but usually you can find an off-brand for the same price at a bigger size.

Comment

There were a couple of reasons I wanted to go with the 19-inch and not go bigger/widescreen.

-All games support the native resolution (1280 x 1040 I believe)
              -The resolution isn't too high that it makes turning on all the eye candy choke my system (I want the quality AND performance :) )

Some good help so far. I've really looked hard at some Samsung and LG offerings in particular. Waiting until after Xmas or trying to hit up CompUSA (they're closing?) will be wise as well.

Question for anyone: Do any of you notice any ghosting whatsoever with anything with a response time less than 5ms?

Edit: Guess I should add that I could be convinced to go with a different size but the reasons I mentioned very much concern me.

Comment

My Dell was a 5ms monitor and I didn't see any ghosting. I would also recommend the Samsung monitors. I'm not sure if it is the same now, but a few years ago Dell used to re-brand Samsung monitors. Samsung has some very quality monitors.

LG is a good brand, but I'm not sure how they do in monitors.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Almost went with a Samsung I was looking at but got this LG instead: http://us.lge.com/products/model/det...960TR-BF.jhtml

I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Comment

I have a 2ms Samsung gamer series. 931BF I believe. I really like it. I only wish I had the cash for a 24 or 30". I really like the Apple 30", but that's some serious $.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                      If you dont want a widescreen and HAVE to have 19", I can recommend the Envision 19" I got mine dirt cheap from CompUSA (hurry up and buy one before they close). The picture quality is fine (not the greatest) and the screen rotates, tilts, and raises/lowers. It also comes with speakers and pen/pencil holders, along with an accessory tray.

But again, if you can get a bigger monitor for the same money, obviously go for it. My 22" widescreen actually has better vertical resolution then my 19" full-screen. The Samsungs are nice, but usually you can find an off-brand for the same price at a bigger size.
                      I worked at Compusa for over 2 years and our Envision monitors needed to be replaced all the time. I stay away from Envision like the plague.

Originally posted by rich73
                      I have a 2ms Samsung gamer series. 931BF I believe. I really like it. I only wish I had the cash for a 24 or 30". I really like the Apple 30", but that's some serious $.
                      The apples monitors are WAY over priced for what they give you. Dont bother with them at all. they only have a 700:1 contrast ratio and a crazy long response time, 16ms iirc compaired to the 6ms standard now. My LG 24 inch which is less then a quarter of the price of a 30in apple has a 1000:1 contrast ratio (up to 2000:1 with software) and a 6ms response time and it supports 1080p and HDMI. The apple monitors we had at my store didnt even look that amazing. I saw lots of banding and light leaks.

Comment

I ordered a Samsung 206bw [20"] just a few days ago from NCIX, though it probably won't arrive until after Christmas, it was only 230 dollars. [280 after tax, shipping, and insurance]
                        And the 206BW will have a sharper image than the 226BW [22"] because of it's smaller dot pitch. A smaller dot pitch means a sharper image. [Though if you have poor eyesight, it'd probably be better to get the 22"] Same goes for 17" vs 19". I'm on an old 17" Sony LCD right now until my Samsung arrives, and it's a lot more sharp than my friend's 19" LCDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline View Post
                          Almost went with a Samsung I was looking at but got this LG instead: http://us.lge.com/products/model/det...960TR-BF.jhtml

I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Been using it a month and love it. Had to adjust the brightness a little but even darks are showing up well and I have no ghosting whatsoever.

It gets the Faultline stamp of approval!

Comment

Glad to hear you found a good fit. :)
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X