Laggy Game Performance, Need Help Narrowing Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laggy Game Performance, Need Help Narrowing Problem

For the last month, I have spent less and less time gaming due to one major cause: laggy performance. I know it is not a driver issue, since I've had the 163.xx driver installed for weeks before this lagginess in all my games started happening.

Right now, the two games I play the most and what happens within game:

Counter-Strike: Source
    After about 3 minutes of play, my framerate drops to about 5-8 a second. This continues throughout the gaming session. Reboots and restarts of Steam don't have any effect.

I left my ASUS PC Probe running and the CPU overheat warning didn't even sound, so my processor isn't overheating. I don't have anything to measure RAM usage in game...so that may be a cause. Also, my gfx card GPU could be overheating or something else.

BF2142
    At this point, I can't play the game. I get a bare 15 frames a second whether the server is empty or full. CPU doesn't overheat while playing.

Would RAM be a cause or GFX card problems or is the cause entirely unrelated to the two?

Also, does anyone know of any tools that can overlay display in game GPU core temperatures and RAM usage?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Laggy Game Performance, Need Help Narrowing Problem

PC Specs?
    Virus Scan yet?
    Malware/Spyware scan yet?
    Defrag your computer lately?
    got a lot of background apps hogging resources?

Comment

To measure memory usage in game, you can try this method (just change the name of the executable).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by IanTheRed View Post
        PC Specs?
        Virus Scan yet?
        Malware/Spyware scan yet?
        Defrag your computer lately?
        got a lot of background apps hogging resources?
        Virus Scan: no
        Malware/Spyware Scan: no
        Defrag HDD: no
        Background apps: I close all the ones that I can.

I quit checking the first two since every time I run either check, nothing turns up (owe it to my firewall and anti-virus).

Last time I did a defrag was about 3 months ago. There isn't any discernable performance increase whether I do it or not.

Just to be on the safe side, I will do the various scans and a complete defrag.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well Dick, that is a great tool to use.

I just tested it out and hl2.exe used around 380-990 MBs worth of memory when I started to lag and clip in game on a near full CSS server.

That means I use about 850 MBs worth of memory in total when I was playing and lagging in CSS. I do have 1 GB of RAM...

Before I rule out the memory as a cause, I need to run one more test with a counter log monitoring the memory usage by Steam. Just having Steam running, I know it consumes anywhere from 85 MBs to 100 MBs of memory. I need to see if that memory consumption rises when I'm playing a Steam powered game.

Red here are my system specs:

Pentium D 805 (Dual-Core)
          ASUS P5PE-VM Motherboard
          1 GB Corsair ValueRAM (dual-channeled DDR400 @ 666 effective)
          120 GB HDD (~11 GB free)
          Audigy LS Sound Card
          DVD-ROM
          DVD+/-RW DL
          480W Thermaltake Purepower PSU (550W burstable)
          Floppy Drive
          7 x 80mm Case Fans
          LED-lit 4 channel Fan Controller
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm not sure what would be causing your slow down. Do you have all 7 case fans running all the time? You may be over taxing the PSU with everything going? I would also suggest deleting any old files, uninstall software you don't use as only 11gb left is a bit small and I have seen computers go a little funny with a small amount of space left. Your cpu may not be overheating but you may have cpu throttling on and hence it dials back your cpu as it heats up. You can try going into your BIOS (hit del key on startup) and see if there is an option for it?

Just some ideas to try out.

Comment

As I have said in the OP, my CPU isn't overheating. I'm worried the cause might be my graphics card...
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't know exactly how cpu throttling works but just because your not overheating doesn't mean throttling isn't happening. It may be throttling back your cpu to keep temps safe, hence you don't see the temps reach overheating levels. Again just a thought. Have you cleaned out your case, cpu cooler and video card cooler in a while? Usually overheating won't cause slow downs but other problems but if throttling is on it could.

Comment

Most likely due to you only having 1gb ram. I run a very bare bones version of windows (WinFLP) on my gaming rig and I only have 1gb ram (upgrading soon) and it gets choppy from time to time (we're talking 2142 here). I manage though. I suggest you upgrade your ram first and foremost.

What graphics card are you using?

Comment

Whoops left that out...

GeForce 7600GS, 256MB AGP8x
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had the same amount amount of RAM (except at 400mhz) and didn't have choppy performance. What are you running the game at in settings and resolution.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Hmm...well it seems the usual defrag and space clearing seems to have fixed the lagginess. Ironically when I did a defrag analyze, it showed most of my hdd files as fragmented. I usually only see some small sections of red. First time I've ever seen that much red. I still don't know if whether hdd free space was the cause or the file fragmentation.

@mentholated,
                        Yeah, you do have a point that 1 GB of RAM isn't what it used to be. I'm saving up for a new system. I'm not wasting another few hundred on trying to prolong this one.

@Nerd,
                        Textures: med
                        Shaders: low
                        World Textures: med
                        Reflect: simple only
                        HDR: off
                        AA: off
                        VSync: off
                        Adv. Lighting: off
                        Resolution: 1280 x 1024

I get about 30-40 frames per second. Turning up textures to high, shaders to high, reflect to world, and adv. lighting on doesn't have any noticable effect though, but I like it keep it down a bit.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Aw crap. Looks like I was premature on the problem going away. I'm still having the same problem. :(

I ran CSS in windowed mode @ 1024 x 768 with the above settings. I also had Task Manager open so I could monitor RAM usage and CPU load.

RAM usage never went higher than 968 MBs. CPU load averaged at around 60%.

At this point, I can say honestly that my graphics card is the issue. It might just be that my 7600GS can no longer play any of my current favorite titles.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            BF2142
                            At this point, I can't play the game. I get a bare 15 frames a second whether the server is empty or full. CPU doesn't overheat while playing.
                            Heh, lol, that's better than what I have :D

Btw, this is probably not the problem, but I'll try and help any way I can and suggest the radial file problem for your 2142 lag...?
                            Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

ya but...if it played it well before..that shoots down that theory...If you have the bucks throw some RAM in. If you can afford it get 2 X 1 GB sticks instead of the 4 X 512.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed