22" or 24" monitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22" or 24" monitor?

I am planning to build a new computer and can't decide on a Dell 24" or a Dell 22". The smaller is cheaper but will I be missing something if I go with the 22"? Also will I need the new Nvidia 8800 GTS or the 8800 GTX?

Thanks,
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: 22" or 24" monitor?

I just went with a 22". This is the best bang for the buck right now. When you jump up to 24", the price goes incrementally higher than 22" and smaller. In a few months, 24" will probably be the way to go.

As far as missing something, most 22" are 1680 x 1050 in resolution, and most 24" are 1920 x 1200 in resolution. Don't know much about particular video cards, but in order to be able to run a game in THAT high of a resolution, and I mean either one of those, you'd need a really good video card. So, really the extra screen real estate in resolution would only matter for non-gaming stuff. For video or photo editing, the extra bit would come in handy, but if you don't do those sort of things, I don't think you'd need it.

I'm not saying some people don't run that high of a resolution for games, but I personally would rather get faster FPS or higher textures, etc. than high resolution.

Comment

I'd say if you planned on using 2 monitors that you should stick with the 22". You're pushing your luck using 2 monitors when 1 of em is a 24" at ridiculous resolutions. Right now, for the price of one 24" monitor u can buy a nice 22" AND a 19".

Comment

I use 4 of the Dell 24" at work. 2 for my XP box and 2 for my red hat box. I really like them, but the 1920x1200 is a bit small for me at 24" (why I went for 27" for home use). They are hands down some of the BEST monitors around though.

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
        I'm not saying some people don't run that high of a resolution for games, but I personally would rather get faster FPS or higher textures, etc. than high resolution.
        In my experience, the Dells (2407WFP-HC) scale down extremely well. I wouldn't worry about running nonnative resolutions (1920x1200 being native) if you don't think your video cards can handle it. Just keep the aspect the same (use the nvidia control panel), and you'll be surprised at how well the nonnative resolution looks. The monitors handle 4:3 just fine too, just don't stretch it ;)
        Last edited by Rincewind; 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Re: 22&quot; or 24&quot; monitor?

Thanks guys that help a lot. For now its the 24"
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

the LG 24" is amazing. It has HDMI in and 1080p support, even comes with an HDMI to DVI cable. My games look great on it.

Once you go 24" its very hard to play on anything smaller.

Comment

If you're going 22", and have good eyesight, I'd spend a little less and get a 20" instead.
              The dot pitch will be smaller, making the image appear more sharp. If your eyesight isn't as good, go with the 22". BUT, if it's in the budget, and your system can handle it, the 24" is gonna look great.
              With the video card, go with an 8800GTX using the 24", but you'd probably be able to get by with an 8800GT on a 20"/22". [That is assuming that the 24" monitor is running at a resolution of 1920x1200, and the 20"/22" are running at 1680x1050.]
              Hope that helps you out.

Comment

i have a 22 and love it,,,,, to me its just right....

native on it is 1680x1050 and on my evga 7950 gt ko superclocked

it dont sweat it :) but come income tax return time im going with a 8800 gt

hell you could get 2 of them for the price of a gtx or ultra soooooooooo

like i said for the price diffrence your not losing or gaining all that much

from the 22 to the 24 IMO

Comment

As for monitors, the main thing is to have a graphics card that can feed the beast that you sit in front of you. I know how Dell structures their deals and it may become punitive in price is you do not get the monitor from them, but you may want to check out newegg and others becuase there are great deals on large flat panels out there. I have see many 22 inch for $199-$225 that have very good specs.

As for video cards and getting bang for the buck take a look at the
                  8800GT OS 512. After a post in the forums that this card was on sale recently for $237, I started researching focusing on cost vs incremental performance.
                  Toms Hardware has good comparison charts for single cards or dual card set ups. In both cases the 8800GT OC performed very well against much more expensive cards. The prices should go down even more. I will add a second one in the future if I need it.

Single Card set up This is a comparison of a 768 GTX vs a 512 GT OC
                  http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=706&chart=275

Dual Card set up This is a straight up comparison of same type dual cards
                  http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=812&chart=335

I just finished by cpu build and I know you play CoD4. I am getting 98 fps at 1280x1024 with high setting across the board and 68 fps at 1680x1050 with same high settings. That is just out of the box and I have not even started tweaking it yet. Simply amazing. It is like a whole new game. I use a 22 in wide, but as long as you have the card power 22 or 24 shouldn't matter. The card claims it will power up to a 30 inch. At $237, I am very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                    As for monitors, the main thing is to have a graphics card that can feed the beast that you sit in front of you. I know how Dell structures their deals and it may become punitive in price is you do not get the monitor from them, but you may want to check out newegg and others becuase there are great deals on large flat panels out there. I have see many 22 inch for $199-$225 that have very good specs.
                    Just read up on the return policy for monitors if you buy online. Some etailers wont let you return it unless it has eight stuck or dead pixels (new egg). Dell will let you return it if you don't like how it smells. If you're not using your 24" monitor with other inputs (like using it for HDTV), go with samsung or dell. Go with LG if you want your 24" to be a TV as well.
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

The extra 2 inches can make all the difference in some situations...

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post

hay where might you be heading with that remark :row__536::madsmile::icon_eek:

LMAO!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                          That's what the ladies keep telling me, but I still say it doesn't!

lol, you walked right into that one!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X